Received a Letter From NCL, re: our problems last Spring

KeystoneCruiser

As a conclusion to my experience with NCL switching our cabin assignment on the Dawn last spring, I wanted to share the details of a letter I received from NCL.

First for those who may not know the whole story: Our cabins were switched by NCL sometime between initial payment in Oct. and our final payment in April. We kept the same catagory just moved down the hall to non connecting cabins. The whole story can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330949

I wrote to NCL after the cruise detailing the whole story as well as other concerns, with a special request that they look into their customer service department (in fact that was the main thrust of the letter). Letter sent in late July, response card that they got the letter and were looking into the problem in September and the final letter just came.

Basically, they said that "regrettably" they cannot change the problems we had with the reservations department and that the problems that we experienced were not typical. They did not deny that our rooms were switched by them but did not offer a reason either. They also awknowledged that the problems we had in searching for other rooms was also not typical. (hmmm, wonder what that means....... I'm more convinced now that they were purposely avoiding our requests)

They also stated that when (if) we sail with NCL again, we should call a number listed and we would be given some "special amenitities and gifts." (my wife laughed when she read that.... "more fruit or another stale cake" was her comment)

I do appreciate the letter and the fact that they do read the letters and respond to them. I am disappointed however that my #1 concern, their customer service department problems, were not even mentioned in the letter. Obviously I doubted they would do anything, but at least at token gesture of comments about looking into some of the specific problems of the CS Department or at least an awknowledgement of that part of my letter would have been acceptable.

As I stated in my original thread, I never expected (or for that matter asked) for financial compensation from NCL, but what I really wanted most of all was for them to take seriously the problems in the Customer Service Department, which it appears they are not.

Surely not in defense of NCL, but often when companies take action internally, they do not always share everything with the customer. Not a reflection on you, but in today's lawsuit happy society, companies are FORCED into not always revealing the inside story.

At the same time, there is the chance that your situation resulted in some meetings and other actions to improve how they handle things. They might even have taken some serious action that they can not share with you.

Just maybe.

They also stated that when (if) we sail with NCL again, we should call a number listed and we would be given some "special amenities and gifts." (my wife laughed when she read that.... "more fruit or another stale cake" was her comment

We received a similar letter and on the Jewel we asked the concierge to follow up on it. We received a fruit basket and a bottle of wine, sorry , no stale cake .. We also received a tray of 48 H'dourves. There was a mix up and that tray was supposed to go to Bar City...we still get a laugh out of it..

but what I really wanted most of all was for them to take seriously the problems in the Customer Service Department, which it appears they are not.

I'm sure for the sake of the business they would never admit outright to all the problems going on in the Customer Service Dept, but I understand what you are saying. I's like a slap in the face.

Well, at least they made an attempt, I guess. :cool:

As a conclusion to my experience with NCL switching our cabin assignment on the Dawn last spring, I wanted to share the details of a letter I received from NCL.

First for those who may not know the whole story: Our cabins were switched by NCL sometime between initial payment in Oct. and our final payment in April. We kept the same catagory just moved down the hall to non connecting cabins. The whole story can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330949

I wrote to NCL after the cruise detailing the whole story as well as other concerns, with a special request that they look into their customer service department (in fact that was the main thrust of the letter). Letter sent in late July, response card that they got the letter and were looking into the problem in September and the final letter just came.

Basically, they said that "regrettably" they cannot change the problems we had with the reservations department and that the problems that we experienced were not typical. They did not deny that our rooms were switched by them but did not offer a reason either. They also awknowledged that the problems we had in searching for other rooms was also not typical. (hmmm, wonder what that means....... I'm more convinced now that they were purposely avoiding our requests)

They also stated that when (if) we sail with NCL again, we should call a number listed and we would be given some "special amenitities and gifts." (my wife laughed when she read that.... "more fruit or another stale cake" was her comment)

I do appreciate the letter and the fact that they do read the letters and respond to them. I am disappointed however that my #1 concern, their customer service department problems, were not even mentioned in the letter. Obviously I doubted they would do anything, but at least at token gesture of comments about looking into some of the specific problems of the CS Department or at least an awknowledgement of that part of my letter would have been acceptable.

As I stated in my original thread, I never expected (or for that matter asked) for financial compensation from NCL, but what I really wanted most of all was for them to take seriously the problems in the Customer Service Department, which it appears they are not.

I am glad that you pursued this. I am inclined to agree with garycarla that something they cannot share with you may be going on behind the scenes (I hope so anyway!). What I really hope is that someday you will learn that all your efforts have not gone unnoticed and have resulted in positive change.

I have been very fortunate in my dealings with CS at NCL but I know through this board that others have not been so fortunate.

Personally I think they need better procedures in place in the event of large scale problems (like a major re-routing) and better escalation procedures for serious but individual problems like you had. It does no one any good to receive innane, misinformed responses when you are wondering if you still have a cabin.

Situations like yours need to be red-flagged and escalated to someone who has the knowledge to determine the cause and the authority to fix it.

Well anyway better luck and less frustration in the future!

What an incredible adventure. No wonder your feelings toward NCL. The fact you still cruise with them in spite of the problems shows more courage than most. and you still provide other newbies with good info about the line is even more commendable. Sad that NCL can't realize it more.

Thank you for sharing the results with us. You were not required to do that but it shows you really do care for the people on CC who rely on you and others for information.

May you have a wonderful holiday season and your future cruising experiences be wonderful for you and your family. :)

Archived