Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins (Ecstasy)

bailiesmom

I have heard a lot of comments about how crowded Chichen Itza is compared to Uxmal, but from your photos it did not look that crowded. We were there about 6 years ago and it looked about the same as then (except we were allowed to climb then). Also, the venders that I have heard so much negative about did not seem to be overly present.

Sarg, what's your comments comparing Chichen to Uxmal?

Chichen Itza was not crowded at all when we arrived, however, by the time we were leaving, there were significantly more people and it looked like more and more were arriving. Ours was the only cruise ship in Progreso, so when there are two ships, we would have had a few more cruise buses. I think all of the later day crowds were from hotels and not from cruise ships.

Chichen is a larger site and more spread out, but also on flat land whereas there are some hills and stairs that need to be negotiated at Uxmal.

Personally, I got tired of all the vendors at Chichen but they did understand no thank you (mostly). I don't remember anything like that at Uxmal.

Last time I was at Uxmal, they were restoring one of the structures that people could climb, but I think there will still be structures at Uxmal that people can climb. There isn't anything interesting at Chichen that people can still climb these days. Years and years ago, I did climb all over Chichen, so been there, done it.

Overall, I prefer Uxmal, but both are worth seeing. Also, after you have been to one once or twice, there really is not much value in returning to the same site, so try the other.

Uxmal is becoming more popular, but is still a great choice I think it might even be a little cooler there. I don't mind the lack of vendors at Uxmal, either.

Looking at a map of Chichen Itza, I realized how much I missed seeing. I may have to make one more trip there just to photograph the things I missed. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true of Uxmal.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone used a private vendor for the tour of Chichen Itz from Progreso? We are traveling with 4 16yr old boys and I am desperately trying to find something in my budget that I think will enjoy. Thanks for any help.

I did not take this but others that did said it was a long hot day and the lunch was not great. One lady said if she knew the bus ride was so long she would have chosen something else. I myself enjoyed the Ai Yucatan Resort. But if you dont want to spend the money I would enjoy the beach at the pier.. Lots to look at.

For you "boat people" I would definitely recommend Uxmal over Chichen because of the driving time involved. A bus tour will be fine; a private tour can stop at places along the way to break up the drive a little and provide some additional experiences that would appeal to all.

Happy planning!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived