Passport Question

So, how long does it take to get a passport? We're on the Mariner in September, and we'd like to get one, since we don't want to have to lug our birth certificates around the entire week. Since we're a little over a month away, would it be back in time if we used the regular service, or should we fork over the extra to get it back in two weeks?

I think it depends on when and where you apply. I got mine in about three weeks--from the Philadelphia office. Sent it through our county courthouse Prothonotary (sp?) office.

If you're concerned about it, fork over the extra $$.

Oh...and a hint: And if you're a AAA Plus member, they take passport pics for free! :D

Thanks, Beffy. I think we'll pay the extra for peace of mind.

We were AAA members until this year! Ugh! Oh well. The Walgreen's in town does passport photos fairly cheap, so we'll probably use them.

DH&I applied for ours,in May.We went to Walgreen's & got the Pics taken.$16.00 for the two of us.Then went to our local Post Office.We received them in 4 weeks exactly.:p Ifyou are going to do it,you should get on the ball!!!!:eek: .........Vee

I would not spend the extra. If it does not get back on time, you can use the BC instead. Be sure on the application form to fill out that you are expecting to go out of the country and the date for it (make the date at least a week before) and it should help the process.

Actually, I have to correct the earlier poster who said go with the standard application timing (as opposed to the "rushed"), because you can use your birth certificate if you don't get your passport.

When you apply for a passport, they send your hard copy (read "notarized") birth certificate along with the application. In approx 3-4 weeks, you will then receive your passport with your hard copy birth certificate.

So unless you have two hard copies of everyone's birth certificates handy, I would use the "rushed" passport application process.

Lynne

If you are leaving in September you have enough time for a routine passport.

I accept passports for the Postal Service. If you apply for a routine tomorrow, Tuesday July 20th, you can expect your passport in up to 6 weeks which is September 1st. You do have to surrender your certified birth certificate with your passport application.

There is an 800 number to call to check on the status of your passport or you can upgrade your application to an expedite if you start getting nervous.

The average turnaround time is 4 weeks, some customers have told me they have received theirs back in 1 week without paying the extra fee.

Get your passport, you won't be sorry. It's so much easier to travel with one.

If you have any questions about passports , I will try to help, my post office processes about 125 applications every week. We also take pictures.

I hope this helps,

Donna from the passport capital of upstate NY

Lug around the birth certificate, or lug around the passport -- I don't see a big difference here. If that's your ONLY reason for buying the passport, I'd say save your money.

You only have to show your identification at check-in and at customs when you re-enter US soil. In between (including excursions) your ship's ID card will suffice.

We just applied for my son and my mother-in-law's passports on June 18. We got both of them back (to different addresses) last week within a couple of days of each other. That was in under 4 weeks.

Don't bother paying the extra. Just submit your applications at the post office and it should be fine (some post offices also take passport photos but I don't know the price). We got our photos at Osco and they let both people be on the same sheet so we only had to pay $6.99 plus tax.

• 4 weeks later...

You should be just fine if you don't need it until September. We've always gotten ours back within 3 weeks of applying. Only once did we need to have "express" service and that is when I forgot to renew our oldest daughter's passport. When we used "express" service we had it back within the week.

Have fun!

Just wanted to add my son's passport acquisition story from last year.

We got the forms, filled 'em out and dropped them off at a post office branch that accepts them here in Dallas (Lovers Lane and Greenville) on a Thursday, I believe it was. On Tuesday or Wednesday the next week, we received a letter from passport services in Houston. First thought was, "Oh no, what was left out/unsigned/wrong." Opened the envelope, and voila, passport! Less than a week, door to door. Who woulda' thunk it?

Just wanted to add my son's passport acquisition story from last year.

We got the forms, filled 'em out and dropped them off at a post office branch that accepts them here in Dallas (Lovers Lane and Greenville) on a Thursday, I believe it was. On Tuesday or Wednesday the next week, we received a letter from passport services in Houston. First thought was, "Oh no, what was left out/unsigned/wrong." Opened the envelope, and voila, passport! Less than a week, door to door. Who woulda' thunk it?

Wow, that's incredible! We did ours at a local post office here in NJ and they told us 4-6 weeks. We sent 'em on on June 28, received them back from Charleston, NC on August 4th. 5 weeks, 2 days. I guess some centers are much less backlogged than others!

No biggie, though. Don't need them until 10/2.

So, how long does it take to get a passport? We're on the Mariner in September, and we'd like to get one, since we don't want to have to lug our birth certificates around the entire week. Since we're a little over a month away, would it be back in time if we used the regular service, or should we fork over the extra to get it back in two weeks?

How is it easier to lug around a passport rather than a birth certificate?

Archived