TUX or no?

FondofKoi

[quote name='queenycolleen']
hey aquacruiser- you seem a bit touchy by QM2. some of the wording might be off, but I along with many other would agree with the idea of "FORMAL" and the special experience that a top end cruise offers.[/quote]

I can respect the fact that some people enjoy the special experience that comes with top end cruises.

However, the "wouldn't you rather appear a member of the privileged upper class?" comment was rude. I don't go on a cruise to pretend to be someone I am not. Ironically, I know of several people who are members of the "privileged upper class" (not the pretending type that QM2 mentions) and they hate wearing tuxedos. Just goes to show that looks can be deceiving....

[quote name='queenycolleen']sorry, I think if it's called a formal night, dress code should be strickly enforced. I'm old school, and only in mid forties, but some tradtions should not be messed with. I feel the same way about going to the theater(not movies) I don't expect men in Tux's but respect for the venue is the bottom line for me. kaki's and a tweed jacket might be better for a dinner at the Red Lobster. Just my opinion. :D

hey aquacruiser- you seem a bit touchy by QM2. some of the wording might be off, but I along with many other would agree with the idea of "FORMAL" and the special experience that a top end cruise offers.[/quote]

Sorry Queenycolleen, With all due respect in my opinion the statement that was made by that person was very rude. As for the tux issue on RCCL, on my 5 night on the Explorer 10/29 we had 1 formal night where the vast majority of men wore suits and the women mostly wore cocktail dresses at late seating. We also seen the same attire when we passed those waiting to get in for the first seating at 6:30. The rest of the days were casual. Not smart casual, just plain casual. Men wore polo's or dress shirts no jackets, women wore slacks, skirts, sweather, and blouses and of course there were many that wore jeans also. It is only suggested attire on RCCL and it is not enforced where the QM2 does give a specific choice of tux or suit and it does state it will be enforced. Two different cruiselines.
In my opinion as cruising has drastically increased in the past few years where affordable rates are to be found on most ships including the Cunard fleet, the more formal attire is becoming a thing of the past simply because passengers and ships are more flexiable about dress codes. We attend many affairs throughout the year and a cruise is not a white tie affair in my opinion so I feel a tux is not really a requirement for any ship nor is an evening gown today. It's a vacation and it does seem that the majority of passengers are no longer interested in the a formal dining experience on thier vacation as we all read the posts and we all see other passengers.
We enjoy the diningroom and we do dress on formal night but quite frankly I am much more interested in what my tablemates are saying while we dine than watching what people are wearing in the diningroom. I don't care what my tablemates may be wearing and if there is a man sitting at my table wearing a t-shirt I would treat him with the same respect as I would a man in a tux. Never judge a book by its cover as you risk missing the wonderful content it may contain. I am very old school and also in my 40's but I do understand that a cruise is a vacation today and people seem to be more interested in casual dress and relaxing and the cruiselines are responding to the majority of its guests.
I love NY fashion week but when I'm on a cruise, I simply do not care what others are wearing. By all means each guest should dress the way they feel is appropriate for them. If it's a tux and gown that they like than they should dress that way, if it's a sports coat and a dress that's fine also. RCCL does not have a mandatory dress code and they certainly do not seem to be enforcing anything other than prohibiting bathing attire, no shoes, caps or shorts in the diningrooms in the evening. I never understood how threads about clothes can become so nasty and they do everytime. People are more important than the clothes they are wearing. IMHO:o

Hay it's up to you, but what I did for my boys was rented a tux $85 plus shoes, and each have a diff. vest. But it's what you want, for the most part people are "dressed"up but not all have tux, or even a sport jacket. I have seen, just a dress shirt and slacks. Hope this helps. It's your vacation, do what makes you guys happy!! bec272

[quote name='aqhacruiser']
. RCCL does not have a mandatory dress code and they certainly do not seem to be enforcing anything other than prohibiting bathing attire, no shoes, caps or shorts in the diningrooms in the evening. I never understood how threads about clothes can become so nasty and they do e:overytime. People are more important than the clothes they are wearing. IMHO[/quote]

Plenty of shorts in the dining room on my last 3 RCI cruises.:(

thank you aguacruiser for your input. I really appreciate the info. As a newbie cruiser, I was misinformed by information I read about dinning and dress code.I personally would feel much more comfortable in a sun dress (shorts and a golf shirt????, sorry... [I]not [/I]right for dinner .... in the main dinning room), but I am unpacking the cocktail dresses I believed were required for main dinning room service. Thanks again for the kind heads up,:)

[quote name='FondofKoi']I am leaving on the Freedom 1/14( still waiting to do the doc dance!). We have never sailed on RCI. DW is worried that I need a Tux for the formal nights. So I thought I would ask the experts. Do I need a Tux, or can I get away with suits? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can wear a dark suit. Most men will be wearing a dark suit. About 25 to 30% will be wearing a tux. Either a dark suit or a tux is what is requested. I wear a tux now but I started out with dark suits. I bought a tux after I found I liked cruises and knew I would be taking a lot of them.

[quote name='queenycolleen']thank you aguacruiser for your input. I really appreciate the info. As a newbie cruiser, I was misinformed by information I read about dinning and dress code.I personally would feel much more comfortable in a sun dress (shorts and a golf shirt????, sorry... [I]not [/I]right for dinner .... in the main dinning room), but I am unpacking the cocktail dresses I believed were required for main dinning room service. Thanks again for the kind heads up,:)[/quote]

Cocktail dresses or dressy pants and blouse not required at all but you will see a lot of women wearing them on formal night in the diningroom. I did see a lot of simple knit dresses also as I assume they pack well. The rest of the nights really were casual and a lot of men wore polo shirts and dockers and women wore pants, skirts, capri's and sweater, polo's, etc. I prefer a sweater and slacks because it is cool in the diningroom. Dressy sweaters also pack great. Some people just really like to dress up on formal night and on others as well and that is up to them, but other's choose a more casual dress attire. RCCL doesn't seem to have any problem at all about either choice so you should enjoy the diningroom either way. Have a great cruise! :)

[quote name='Cnd_Cruiser']I bought a tux this summer on sale 1/2 price and I cant wait till my cruise to break it in.[/quote]

A tux is a great investment if you plan to cruise often. However, only get the pants with the [I]adjustable[/I] waist band! :D

You'll find out what I mean...

LL

I eschew suits and ties whenever possible. Hate 'em.

Fellas, let me let you in on something - make getting dressed for formal dinner part of the cruise fun, and enjoy it. First off, the shower, shave and hair combing won't kill you after a day of sun and fun. Two, it's vacation, and there is nothing better than a little elegance one or two nights out of an otherwise t-shirts and flip-flops week. If the DW/GF/SO is getting dolled up for dinner and dancing, I suggest you go along with it, too. Imagine the return on investment a little romance might bring you - that's why she's there and you're not shoveling snow back home.

Note to the budget-minded: For the price of a rental, generally $100 or more, one can buy a tux that will work just fine. I bought a very nice, classic wool tux, with two shirts and whatnot for $130 all in. Spring for a vest to vary the look, and dump the cummerbund in any case. Just check around on-line. Plenty of deals and inexpensive packages out there. (Try Uniformalwear.com - great personal service and quick turnaround, too.)

BTW: Biker skull and baseball caps and cowboy hats are NOT suitable for the dining room regardless of meal, IMHO. Gentlemen, please remove them while feeding yourself, maybe even in the Windjammer.

Archived