Consuming Mass Quantities

Hollyhawk

Hi, I know someone who has the opposite eating disorder of those that deprave themselves. This person feels the need to eat 24/7 no matter what is available. What is up with this? I'm no troll, been on this board for years and I'm talking about my DH. Is this a mid life crisis thing? Help if you know why someone feels the need to eat 24/7 even if it's ramen noodles at 2am. after eating normally all day; ie. one to go meal on the run and two from home. Do Not bash my cooking; I've been married to this man for over twenty years, one of the reasons he loved me was my cooking. My Mom taught me how to adapt recipes to fat free so this is not the issue; And I dare not ask Dh to get on the scale, I fear he won't register.

Is there something else going on in his life that is causing him to self medicate with food?

Going low fat isn't always the best approach to satisfying your hunger. Choosing the healthy fats is the way to go. My guess is that your husband is addicted to carbohydrates which turn to sugar which affects his blood sugar levels and causes him to crave food. The more carbohydrates you eat, the more you want them.

It would probably help him tremendously if you would follow a low carb approach to eating. The first step is to eliminate sugar, white flour, and processed foods. You will be amazed at how food cravings are virtually eliminated by eating this way.

Several years ago, my DH was eating everything and anything he wanted and had topped out at about 260 lbs. Then he found out that he has type 2 diabetes, and we had to change our way of eating. He now weighs 221 lbs. and has his diabetes pretty much under control.

Good luck!

I would get him tested for diabetes, his blood sugar could be all over the place. When my blood sugar is low, I have to eat, I am almost like a crazy person, and I binge. I wouldn't suggest low carb until you get him checked, because if he has a low blood sugar problem, it could get worse (I tried it once, bad results). Another could be self medicating,like another mentioned maybe a depression sort of thing, depression comes in many forms, and may not be outwardly appearant in his emotions, it doesn't nescessarily mean he is down in the dumps, but something may be bothering him.

I hope you find some answers, because this can really effect his health, and shorten his life.

good luck

MAC

• 1 month later...

I agree with Kreeb. The more carbs you eat the more you crave. I can tell you this first hand. I have always been a carb-a-holic and would never consider a low carb diet. But I finally broke down and made up my mind for 6 weeks I was going to try it. I ended up losing 10 lbs over the Christmas Holidays which in the past have always gained weight. I no longer crave sugar or potatoes or bread. I eat fruits and veggies for my only carbs. Once in awhile I will eat something sweet and an hour later I am hungry. It really is true that processed foods, pasta, white bread, and sugar can make you hungry. I would start with a diet change and if that didn't help, it sounds like the doctor would be a good idea.

He may have a eating disorder in which his brain does not get the

proper messages that he is indeed full. Does he say he is always

hungry? Does he ever say he is full? IMHO if the answer is that he thinks

he always hungry and never full; he indeed is in need professional help.

Best of luck with this!

He may have a eating disorder in which his brain does not get the

proper messages that he is indeed full. Does he say he is always

hungry? Does he ever say he is full? IMHO if the answer is that he thinks

he always hungry and never full; he indeed is in need professional help.

Best of luck with this!

Archived