San Diego for one night hotel, zoo, and dining

Majesty Fan

Hubby and I are going on the Rhapsody to Hawaii in Sept and would love to d a few hours at the zoo providing our flight gets in on time. 1230pm. We would like to do the zoo for a few hours and have a nice meal maby Mexican or steak. We leave the next day from the airport for Ensenada. Any ideas?

We do not want to rent a car.

Lexi

I am not sure what your question is. Do you want to know if you plan can be done. Yes. It is not that far from the airport to the zoo. A taxi can probably do it in 20 minutes (it is about 10 miles by car).

Or are you asking for a suggestion on where to stay? Given your travel plans, I would suggest hotel circle, which is on both sides of the 8 freeway between the 5 freeway and the 163 freeway for a less expensive hotel. The more expensive hotels are in downtown San Diego. The San Diego Zoo is a little northeast of downtown and a little southeast of hotel circle, but closer to downtown than hotel circle.

Otherwise, what is your question.

I would make a different recommendation. Hotel Circle has little to offer other than hotels, esp. if you don't have a car.

This is what I would do:

Take a cab or shuttle from the airport to Balboa Park area and stay at the Balboa Park Inn.

Walk about 3 blocks to the Zoo, and enjoy a bus tour, then walk back to see those exhibits where you want to spend more time. Half a day is a minimum here.

Walk through Balboa Park and see some of the museum buildings (they are closed at night). Eat at The Prado, which in the heart of the park, and has good food and great atmosphere. Alternatively, if you want to spend some and have a more spectacular dinner, walk across the Prado bridge and eat at Laurel. You can take a cab back to the Inn if you don't want to walk back through the park after dark.

In the morning have a leisurely wake-up (or take that walk through the Park) and then take a cab or shuttle to the pier.

Archived