Just back from Mariner

junobeach

Hi all. Just got back to NJ from the Mariner. Thought I'd write a short impression.

Embarkation was a breeze. Got to Port Canaveral about 10:45, and got on the ship when the doors opened at 11:30.

Ship was beautiful. Everyone in our party commented how well kept it was.

Becky, the cruise director was full of energy, and the whole ship seemed to love her.

Can't say much for the Captain Per (I think that's how to spell it). He didn't have much to say the few times I heard him.

We had very high winds for 3 days - 30 to 50 MPH. The seas were also very high, and the ship was pitching and rolled for 3 days. On Wed, night our head waiter got sea sick (luckily not in the dining room!) I'm sure the captain didn't use the stabilizers. Many of the crew confirmed this. They told us it uses twice as much fuel.

Food was top notch. Only complaint was my pork chop. A bit dry. Otherwise superior. Don't miss the prime rib on the regular dining room menu. It was outstanding. We did chops one night and can't say enough good things about the food and service.

We only went to one shop, which was the headliner. Can't recall his name, but he was a comdedian/impressionist. Thought he was terrible. Ice skating show exceeded my expectations. I went twice.

Getting off the ship was also a breeze, and we got to the airport early enough to change our light to 10:30.

Any questions, just ask away.

Nancy

Did you attend a Meet & Mingle? If so , Did the Captain go? I understand this is a "new" Capt. for Mariner?

Who said stabilizers were not used? I know your post says many of the crew confirmed it but it still surprises me? I have only been on Navigator which is Mariner's sister ship but will be on Mariner in Feb 07!!! I can't imagine any ship not using these if the weather is that bad??:confused:

Did you do the Eastern or Western?

Thanks!

I really don't know for certain if they were used throughout the entire time we had high winds and seas. I am only repeating what the crew I spoke with said. My waiter also stated to me when they were being used, in his opinion, I guess. I heard comment after comment from others who were on the Mariner and other ships in high winds and never felt the movement we did. Only the Captain can confirm all of this for sure!

I did not go to the meet and mingle. I only saw the Captain at the 2 Crown and Anchor receptions I went to. He's young - 34 I think he said, and just arrived on the ship a few weeks ago.

We did Eastern itinerary, and we had great weather at all the ports. St. Martin was by far the best of the 3.

We were on the Mariner in Sept and our ship was a rockin and a rollin also. It was quite fun in the pool as the water was pouring in and out of it. Don't know anything about stabilizers but ours was movin' also!

Who said stabilizers were not used? I know your post says many of the crew confirmed it but it still surprises me? I have only been on Navigator which is Mariner's sister ship but will be on Mariner in Feb 07!!! I can't imagine any ship not using these if the weather is that bad??:confused:

Using stabilizers slows the ship's speed and increases drag, causing the engines to burn more fuel. If the ship is trying to meet a certain arrival time, sometimes the Capt opts not to use them.

We were on the October 29th sailing of the Mariner, and we had very rough seas for several days. Captain Johnny and the chief engineer had a meeting in the theather for anyone who wanted to meet them and ask questions about the ship or whatever. Afterwards, we were standing around talking with the captain, and I jokingly told him I would give him $20 bucks if he'd use the stabilizers, and he said that they wouldn't make a difference. That led me to believe they weren't being employed, or not fully. In any event, it was a rockin' cruise, that's for sure.

At the Captain's Corner on Saturday, Captain Per Kristofferson (age 43, a native Norwegian, quiet, but I assume very competent), commented about the rough ride at times. The waves were as high as 15-18 feet when near St. Maarten so the ride got rather rough. Either the Captain or the head engineer said that using the stabilizers decreased the ship's speed by half-a-knot. There was no mention of how much extra fuel the azipods or stabilizers used up and I don't recall any indication from what they said that they didn't use them when the waters got rougher. I would think they're needed more and should be more likely to be used when there is more ship movement, but perhaps the opposite is true - sometimes there is only so much that they can help.

Mark

I can comment on this from personal experience as a commercial fisherman, (woman). On a fishing boat in our area most have stabilizers, but they are not under the boat, they are like two big steal arms that come down. From those stablizer's hanging by wire, are what we affectionately call, "birds". (they have a heavy weight on them and look like flat steath bombers) These birds are lowered into the water, depending on the height of waves, about 4 fathoms or more, so that when the boat wants to roll one way, the birds pulls against it the other way.

It does cause strain on the forward movement of the boat, therefore causing it to slow down, and yes it dose use more fuel as well. However, it makes for such a nice ride! I can see on a fishing trawler, when a captian doesn't feel it's necessary to use them. I don't however, see why a cruise ship wouldn't use them when they are needed. The passengers should be as comfortable as can be at all times.

I'd be upset to Know that they weren't being used when it would help.

Rsscaptain:

Thanks for the info.....I was thinking "Why would they not use them??"

On Navigator last year we had 1 day that was a "little" rough but I did not see or hear of anyone seasick? I go on a friends 32ft pleasure boat and the rougher the better... I love it but I can't imagine a Captain not making a smoother sailing for a cruise ship if he has the equipment to do so. This is a pretty big ship!!

I was on the Mariner last week as well.

Went to the Captain's Q&A on Saturday, and heard first hand ... stabalizers WERE in fact used. He said it slowed the ship about .5 knots if I recall correctly. Captain Per was very personable ... saw him around the ship a few times, and even in the Cafe Promenade on Sunday morning as we were waiting to disembark. I would think that the Captain's first choice is the comfort of the passengers ... and would be more reason to use them rather than opt for efficiency and time of arrival. With the 15-18' waves on Thursday, the speed was below 19 knots much of the time, but when he hit calmer waters (he told the passengers on the Friday noon report) that he would be going south of Grand Bahamas Island rather than the usual course north of the island to get calmer wates. It also allowed speeds to be closer to 22 knots.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise. The rough waters did not bother my wife nor I, whichw as a good thing, but the dining room looked like nearly half empty on Thursday night (the worst day).

As usual, ALWAYS too much to do, and just could not do it all, and get a little rest as well! Music was great from the single soloist with a guitar to Matt Yee in Schooners, the string quarter, the ship's band, etc.

Archived