Mercury 11/20 Mexican Riviera Fashion Report

Cruise Arizona

We just got back from a wonderful 11 Night cruise on the Celelebrity Mercury.

I thought I'd give you a quick fashion report.

First Night Casusal... I wore black slacks and a sweater set, DH and DS(10) wore slacks and a golf shirt, DD wore a plaid skirt/knit top set.

Other pax wore an assortment of casual outfits.

Formal nights. About 90% were dressed appropriately, and I've tried to block out the rest. Several people did however change out of their formal wear into what I would call "informal wear" for the later night activities like dancing or kareoke. Also, I did see some poeple, both over 75 and under 40 and in-between, that were never dressed any more than resort casual.

Our family wore our "gold/beige" matching outfits. Boys in black tuxes with taupe clolored vest and ties. DD wore her cream colored floweregirl/communion dress and I my gold silk dress with the beaded bodiice.

Second formal night I got to wear my new "greek goddess" style turqouise gown and the boys wore the tuxes with black ties and cummerbunds. DD wore her blue satin and white lace dress. I loved my new dress and many poeple commented on how much they liked the color. The only down side was a "poochy" tummy after dinner

Third formals I wore the green sequin, and DH was supposed to match with DH in a green vest, but he'd gained too much weight and the green vest didn't fit, so he had to wear his taupe vest again, but this time with a regular collared tux shirt and a matching neck tie instead of a bowtie. He looked nice, even if he's put on a few pounds. DS and DD mached in her new burgandy dress and and his burgandy vest and bow tie.

In formal the weight problem affected DH again, he couldn't get his shirts buttoned, so he had to go with-out a tie and wore his shirt open...not really my favorite look, but his jacked and shirts still looked nice. I wore cocktail dresses on those nights, and DS wore his blazer with his kahki or navy pants, dress shirt and a tie (Clip on, but atleast he had a tie on.)

The only time I was really dissappointed to see what people were wearing was at the Grand Midnight Buffet on the last formal night. DS and I were the only two from my family who went. We took lots of pictures of the food, but I was really suprised to see how many people hand changed into shorts and T-shirts. Not really a big deal, but it just felt like I wasn't dressed for the same event in my full length sequin gown and DS in his tux, standing next to others who had gotten more casual for the rest of the evening.

I just wanted to comment about dressing up the kids. I have told my kids to read the dress codes and make sure that they are meeting the rules. I truely believe that when they have to dress up for dinner, they realize that this dinner is something special, not just dinner at "Fridays". I am glad to say that they get it, though my son still has some work to do on his eating habits. (He tries to stuff too much food in at one time). But at the same time they sit quietly at the table, treat the wait staff with friendly courtesey and enjoy the entire experience. There were several kids in the kids program who never went to dinner or went so infrequently that they couldn't name their waiters. We really enjoy these family dinners together because of our busy schedule when we are home, and I was pleased that the kids enjoyed them too.

On the last night DS really wanted to go to the kids club pizza party, but also didn't want to miss a chance to say good buy to the wait staff. So we when he was getting dressed for the pizza party he asked for some thing appropriate for casual night in the dinning room. We found some slacks and a golf shirt. His party was at 5:00, and about 6:30 he came to the dining room to that he could join us for dessert. He was a little early for dessert, so the waiter was able to bring him an escargot order to hold him over until dessert time. (DS and DD loved dressing up and enjoyed the fine dining, but they were definitely in the minority of kids on the cruise, as most attended the kids club dinner parties.)

The kids weren't perfect, but they were so pleased to recieve many compliments from othere passengers for dressing up and acting grown up.

Welcome back:) thanks for that review.

It sounds like ya'll had a great time.

I would like to compliment you~sounds like you are raising

2 very well mannered kids:)

As for putting too much food in your son's mouth, well,

I can have a bad habit of doing that sometimes too:eek:

even though I know better!;)

Glad everyone had a good time together:)

I really do cherish the relaxed family time together!!!!

We are so busy with sports and dancing during our time at home, that it just heaven to be waited on hand and foot, and not have to worry about anything other than dressing appropriately for dinner.

We really tried to do as much as possible as a family and still let the kids enjoy the kids program.

There were a couple of nights where we opted out of the evening entertainment for family game time and the kids even went to a few of the trivia events with me. DS saw that they were having spelling bees for the adults so he even gave that a try.

I know this is a little snobbish, but the kids kind of relished the fact that they were more appropriately dressed than some of the adults. I had to really make sure that they didn't say that kind of stuff too loud or I cut them off before they said it. I don't want them to be snobs, but to know what is appropriate. I don't want them to be judgemental of others, because you can't control what others, do only what you do.

I don't have any pictures resized for posting yet, but if look on the main Celebrity page, Mr. Frss, sat a few table away from us and took quite a few nice pictures of my family. His other pictures of Mexico are worth taking a look at too.

I wore false eyelashes the first formal night, and but I'm not happy with the look, I think it looks a bit overdone, atleast in the harsh light of a flash picture. Maybe it wasn't so sever in person. I tried to be a bit more subtle the rest of the evening.

Archived