Scuba in Bonaire

Bullswan

Does anyone know what Dive center Princess uses in Bonaire? I wanted to discuss specifics with them and I cannot locate a reference to which center it is........

Any good or bad experiences with diving in Bonaire would be greatly appreciated as well. Personally, I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks

Greg

If you have a dive buddy, you can walk to Divi Flamingo, which is about one block from the cruise pier. Pay your $10 daily permit diving fee, rent your equipment (tanks are unlimited) and dive off their dock on Calabas Reef. You'll be diving about 300 yards off the bow of the ship.

I take my own gear so my 2 tank dive was about $30; $10 permit fee and $20 for tanks and weights.

As a many time visitor to Bonaire, I would suggest shore diving. My personal favorite at a resort is at Captain Don's Habitat. They will have everything you need for a daytrip. You would need a car or taxi. A taxi would cost around $6-$10. one way. If you rent a vehicle, then ALL the sites marked with yellow rocks would be available. A good reference is Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy--it lists all the sites, etc. I might take the boat trip however if they are going to Klein Bonaire, the just offshore island in the lee of Bonaire.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Crown Princess last week the ship used yellow submarine diving:

http://www.dive-friends-bonaire.com/index_ys.html

It was a 2 tank dive the 1st was at Klien Bonaire and 2nd was at Bonaire. They pick you up at the pier and boat you to their shop for eq & to pay the marine park fee. Both dives were the best on the cruise, vis at least 150'. They used the Divi dive shops big boat & crew and provided their own dive master. They had a white board at the shop noting all the cruise ships coming in for the month, they said they contract with all cruise lines and subcontract out for boats (like in our case) if the group is big (ours was 25 divers, 15 on Divis boat 10 on thiers)

There is virtually no such thing as a bad dive in Bonaire! You can't go wrong with any of the operations I've seen listed and I would add one that I personally love, Buddy Dive Resort. Most of the dive operations have fantastic "house" reefs right in front of them. You take a cab there from the dock (nothing is very far in Bonaire and cabs are fairly cheap), you pay your money, they give you gear and you walk right off their dock. The hardest choice you have to make is whether to go left or right once you jump in!

Bonaire is a diver's heaven...you might not want to get back on the ship!

Enjoy!

Oh! And a bonus tip: La Guernica, a restaurant right across from the town pier, is AWESOME! They serve the most awesome food and it's the best place in town to sit and watch the sunset.

Archived