Carlton Executive or Sofitel Venezia

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]These are the two hotels offered by Celebrity in their post cruise package in Venice. Has anyone stayed at either - are their any pros or cons? Any info would be greatly appreciated![/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks,[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Fran[/font][/b]

We stayed at the Carlton in Venice a week ago. The room was well appointed with robin egg blue furnishings, Italian provincial style, and a Murano glass chandelier. The hotel was helpful in making a taxi reservation for us from Pzle. Roma and providing a bag breakfast since were were leaving at 4:30 am. Full marble bath, in-room safe, and AC.

We booked here as it was within a 5 minute walking distance to Piazzale Roma from where we took a taxi. Note that there are two brideges to cross and with luggage it was fun...LOL...

Venetian charm...

The area behind the hotel is not full of tourists and has some charming cafés and trattorias. Store prices are more reasonable here too!

We stayed at the Carlton for two nights on the Celebrity package prior to the Millennium last August...We liked it very much...the rooms were nice, the breakfast good and the location very convenient...I recommend it...

Of course, I think there would be very little difference staying at the Sofitel...
The two hotels are equally conveniently located, being only a few hundred feet apart at best...Both are on the south side of the Grand Canal across from the Train Station, near Piazza Roma...The Carlton fronts on the Grand Canal, the Sofitel fronts on a side street just around the corner...We didn't go inside the Sofitel, but it looked quite nice from the outside...I would not hesitate to stay there either...

I would think you could flip a coin...

BTW, there are a lot of very reasonable priced and good restaurants, many with outdoor tables and great ambiance just accross the canal on Lista di Spagna, the street that runs from the RR Station toward the Ghetto...This is just a short walk over the bridge from these hotels...Vaporetti can be boarded on the Grand Canal to take you anywhere in Venice...but, just walking and wandering works as well...

I recommend buying the AAA Spiral Guide-Venice...for the maps, pictuires and suggested walking tours...

Have fun...

Archived