Problems with Gift Certificates, anyone?

Wanted to do an informal poll here - we purchased a gift certificate for my parents for their anniversary, knowing they were going to sail on the Vision to celebrate. Didn't pay a lot of attention, just thought it was a wonderful way to help them out with expenses, seeing they are both retired and celebrating their 50th. They cannot read the fine print on the certificate RCCL mailed them, and did not see that the certificate had to be redeemed four days before they sailed. Tried to settle up their bill at the end of their cruise and was told the certificate was worthless. (Couldn't be redeemed onboard ship!) Has anyone else had this problem? I tried to call RCCL to straighten things out and was told the certificate is non-refundable, non-replaceable, etc. - if my parents want to book another cruise, they can use it then...my parents do not have that kind of money - this was a one-time shot.

What good is a gift certificate if you can't use it - any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Why don't you just buy it back from them and use it on a future cruise? It's non refundable but still good to use.

Never used one but it clearly states on their website:

Cruise Gift Certificates make the perfect gift.

Certificates are easy to buy and redeem. They can be emailed or mailed directly to friends and family. Use them towards the purchase of a cruise or for onboard credit toward the spa, gift shop, bar, specialty restaurants and more.

Your cruise vacation reservation(s) must be made at least fourteen (14) business days prior to the sail date and/or the gift certificate must be redeemed before the final payment date (at least ten (10) business days prior to the sail date).

I ordered one for one of my clients and when I did it specifically was told to me (I talked with a body!) that I could apply it directly to their account which I did then sent them a card to notify them. Told my client to verify first day that it showed on account and it did. So my experience was a good one.

Lou

So we would have to call the TA and give them the certificate number for them to call RC and give them the certificate number to make an onboard credit for the trip?

The coupon has to be redeemed prior to making final payment for the cruise so upon booking or making your final payment. You can either apply it to the cost of the cruise or as an onboard credit.

The coupon has to be redeemed prior to making final payment for the cruise so upon booking or making your final payment. You can either apply it to the cost of the cruise or as an onboard credit.

The gift certificates do not need to be redeemed prior to final payment if you're using them for a shipboard credit. When using them for SBC, you must redeem them at least 4 days prior to sailing. If you're using them to pay for the cruise then obviously they need to be redeemed before final payment.

I've purchased these to use as SBC for clients and have been very happy with the process. In the event I don't have 4 days prior to the sail date, I simply order the shipboard credit as a gift through Gifts and Gear.. this can be done up to 48 hrs prior to sailing and also works very well.

This is the problem I had with gift certificates-

My dil gave me one for $100 and my daughter got one for $50. I called prior to the cruise to have them applied as an on board credit. We travel together but each have our own charge cards for our own sea pass accounts so I thought she would get her credit and I would get mine. Not! They had split the $150 between us-$75 each credit. I had brought the certificates with us and went to the purser's desk to have it fixed. At first they said they couldn't do anything about it and we would have to straighten it out between us. I persisted and after a few trips to the purser's desk I finally got to speak to someone in charge who finally got it straight with my $100 on my account and her $50 on hers. By the way when I called to redeem them I gave all the information, seperate names and we had different redeeming numbers so I didn't expect this problem.

I wish I knew how to avoid that problem in the future as I am sure I will be giving and receiving more of these certificates. They are really a great gift.

I used 2 different $250 certificates for on board credit with out any problem. I did not purchase either one before the final payment of the cruise, but did use the email notification/redemption feature. The first time I sailed with DH and the gifts and gear notification of the credit was in our cabin when we boarded. The second time I was traveling with my girlfriend. We each had our own seapass set up as different accounts and the certificate was properly credited to my seapass, and not split. I was surprised at how easy it was and was really expecting to have to go to the purser's desk to adjust our accounts but we didn't have to.

I don't have a suggestion for the OP and am sorry this didn't work out for you. Good luck!

Archived