Rent a car or Jeep tour?????

CPAYNE1997

What would you do???? I can't decide weather to rent a car and drive to rum point and a couple of other spots around the island or do the Jeep tour offered by Island Marketing. I think the main thing that we want to do is Rum Point but we also would like to do a little sight seeing. I am just worried that the 2 hours at Rum Point will not be enough for us. And $140 per couple is a lot compared to a $70 or so car rental(also need recommendations for that as well). Please give me your thoughts on this.........

Thank you:)

What would you do???? I can't decide weather to rent a car and drive to rum point and a couple of other spots around the island or do the Jeep tour offered by Island Marketing. I think the main thing that we want to do is Rum Point but we also would like to do a little sight seeing. I am just worried that the 2 hours at Rum Point will not be enough for us. And $140 per couple is a lot compared to a $70 or so car rental(also need recommendations for that as well). Please give me your thoughts on this.........

Thank you:)

I had the same exact decision to make you do...the decision was made for us as the IM tour was sold out for the dates of our cruise :( So, we decided to rent a car and do it ourselves...the more I look at it, the more fun the experience sounds like...I'm not thrilled about driving on the left side of the road (no rum for me!!!!) but I figure we can see most of what we want to see on the island and go at our own pace (we did the driving thing in Aruba earlier this year, and it was truly one of the best experiences ever!!!).

Have fun :)

pp23

I had the same exact decision to make you do...the decision was made for us as the IM tour was sold out for the dates of our cruise :( So, we decided to rent a car and do it ourselves...the more I look at it, the more fun the experience sounds like...I'm not thrilled about driving on the left side of the road (no rum for me!!!!) but I figure we can see most of what we want to see on the island and go at our own pace (we did the driving thing in Aruba earlier this year, and it was truly one of the best experiences ever!!!).

Have fun :)

pp23

When you get back let me know how it went! And any other suggestions you might have!! Thank you!

Hello,

There are 5 of us ladies, doing the Grand Cayman Jeep Tour off of the Explorer of the Seas, Jan 19th.

Sounds like fun to me...just liked the idea of being in a group, as we are all women, thought it would be safer.

Have you decided yet?

Joanne

I rented a car from Avis a couple weeks ago and it worked out fine, even though I got one of the only cars with a US steering column. With caution and a second set of eyes (a none-to-brutal backseat driver) the left hand side of the road isn't a problem.

Honestly, GC isn't the sort of place where a Jeep is necessary; plus, the island isn't that interesting geographically. It's flat and non-descript.

Rum Point (and adjacent Cayman Kai) is great and IMHO definately superior to 7 mile beach which had unfortunately Floridated itself with dense hotel/condo development. I'd hit Rum Point direct across the island then eventually return by circling the east end back. Use the rental car shuttle van to rangle the traffic in downtown Georgetown.

Depends on whether or not you want to be a driver or a passenger, and where you want to go and stop.

With the car, you might get lost a lot, but at least you can take turns driving and stop wherever and whenever you want. You also might not feel comfortable driving in foreign tourist traffic either.

With the jeep, you may be put with another couple and you'll have to negotiate who drives when. You are also limited to following the group and stopping when and where they tell you.

Also, we didn't want to risk getting stuck with smokers, rowdies, or people who wanted the top up when we wanted it down, etc. There was too much left to chance with the JEEP, so we took the ATV Tour in Cozumel nad and LOVED it!

:)

I rented a car from Avis a couple weeks ago and it worked out fine, even though I got one of the only cars with a US steering column. With caution and a second set of eyes (a none-to-brutal backseat driver) the left hand side of the road isn't a problem.

Honestly, GC isn't the sort of place where a Jeep is necessary; plus, the island isn't that interesting geographically. It's flat and non-descript.

Rum Point (and adjacent Cayman Kai) is great and IMHO definately superior to 7 mile beach which had unfortunately Floridated itself with dense hotel/condo development. I'd hit Rum Point direct across the island then eventually return by circling the east end back. Use the rental car shuttle van to rangle the traffic in downtown Georgetown.

That sounds like a good idea! Thank you!

Well,

We had an offer from the tour company to give us an airconditioned van, with our own guide for the same price as 5 people doing the jeep tour.

We get him for 5hrs, same amount of time as the jeep tour, but we can pretty much tell him where we want to go.

We meet him at the pier at 09:30 ----I definately want 2hrs at Rum Point.

My idea is to go directly from the pier to Rum Point, its approx 40 miles which equals about half an hour - 45 minutes to get there? It should be around 11:00 ----Then after our beach time, ---approx 1:00 --- head out and take our time stopping and taking pictures to get back to the pier at 2:30

Does that sound right?

Any suggestions as to what route we should take there (to save time to just get to the beach with as few stops as possible)

Jo :)

Do a google search for GRAND CAYMAN EXCURSIONS, ISLAND MARKETING and it should be the first one to come up. When you get to that page, click on "shore excursions" then it should be the 3rd bullet down the page.

Good luck!

Jo

We rented from Avis last week. Paid $50. (incl insurance) for a small Japanese car. Very good car for two people, automatic. We loved Rum Point. Avis shuttled us from the downtown area out to their location beside the airport. We saw jeeps, but it is not required unless that is your preference. We drove straight to Rum Point. It was beautiful. Then had a late lunch at the Lighthouse prior to going back to town. Need to watch those round abouts with a right hand drive vehicle. I think that the prices may havejust clicked over this week to high season rates

We rented from Avis last week. Paid $50. (incl insurance) for a small Japanese car. Very good car for two people, automatic. We loved Rum Point. Avis shuttled us from the downtown area out to their location beside the airport. We saw jeeps, but it is not required unless that is your preference. We drove straight to Rum Point. It was beautiful. Then had a late lunch at the Lighthouse prior to going back to town. Need to watch those round abouts with a right hand drive vehicle. I think that the prices may havejust clicked over this week to high season rates
Is there anyplace to rent right on the pier (or within walking distance)?

Is there anyplace to rent right on the pier (or within walking distance)?

I'm not aware of anyplace....There's not much at the pier, really...It's a cute little waterfront...but I think the only rental place is at the airport, I may be wrong though.

At the pier you will be able to get in a taxi, or get a guide, I am sure .... but if you want to rent a car, I would suggest you making that arrangement prior to arriving at the pier.

Have a great cruise!

Joanne

I have never been to Rum Point, but I have been to the Cayman Islands 6 times and done many different tours. So Rum Point was my focus this time.

I have heard it is a secluded beach (because it is inaccessible by bus and a fortune by taxi) The white sand and aqua blue clear water make it one of if not the most beautiful beach in the Cayman Islands.

There is a restaurant/bar there .. so no prob with food or nice cold/frozen drinks or beer :) I think it will be expensive, so bring some cash (approx $10.00 a drink) There are hammocks on the beach, in the shaded areas under the trees....there are lots of deck chairs that you can take right down to the water, .... because "Red Sail Sports" is involved with this area of the island, they have a kiosk where you can rent any type of water sports equipment you would like to.

I like the idea that it is secluded, and have heard from many others that have been there, it feels like it is your own private piece of paradise!

I would suggest renting a car or joining a jeep tour to get there...the tours take you all over the island (5hr tour) and end up at Rum Point for approximately 2 hrs.................

What cruise are you on?

Thanks for all your help. This is my second time to the cayman island. the first time we were there we did snuba. we didnt book anything yet cause we want to do something on our own. Any suggestion besides Rum point. Im really thinking about going to rum point, but i dont know how to find out about a jeep tour or some sort of transportation that goes there. if there is anything else that you would to share with us, please feel free to tell us. we are a mid 20s couple that like anything outdoors or in the water. up for anything. We are traveling on the mariner of the sea from the 31st to the 7th. feel free to stop us and say hello if you are on this ship =)

Roger & Natalie

Hello,

I am actually on the Explorer of the Seas, January 14th, 2006 - but thanks! LOL

Do a google search for GRAND CAYMAN EXCURSIONS, ISLAND MARKETING and it should be the first one to come up. When you get to that page, click on "shore excursions" then it should be the 3rd bullet down the page.

That's the tour company we are going with, the jeep tour...its 8 jeeps travelling together.

The other thing we did, which we LOVED was the Stingray Tour, with Captain Marvin..he is a local tour guide. If you google captain marvins stingray tour, it will come up. It was the highlight of our cruise, that particular year.

The other thing is to go to the pier, get in a cab and ask them to take you to 7 mile beach....and drop you at a hotel that has a bar, and watersports...there are lots of them.........cab is around $4, and the beach will charge you approx $12 to for a chair and to use their beach.....but that is a cheap fun thing to do to..........

If you need anymore help, if I can, I don't mind at all.

Archived