Valor Review--Just back

DawninSC

Overview

A group of 27 family and friends just finished our vacation on the Valor on December 3rd. It was my brother and sister-in-law’s honeymoon and they were generous enough to invite 25 family and friends. Brave move on their part, but I am so grateful! My brother, Adrian, already posted a review on the logistics of the trip, so I am going to highlight some of my favorite parts. His is under HollyinSC.

This was my first cruise and I have to say it was probably my best vacation ever. The week goes by SO fast, so I have to encourage you to take advantage of every moment and don’t sleep it away (which would be easy to do since the beds are so comfy).

A couple things Adrian left out on the logistics. Make sure on Day 1, you pick up a lanyard right outside of the elevators on the Lido Deck. They were only there on the 1st day and there was not enough for everyone. I think they were actually selling vacation packages, but I grabbed my lanyard and walked off. I surely would have lost my sign and sail card without that lanyard! I did try the fish and chips. It was ok—not fabulous. It was hard to find. It is actually inside Rosie’s, but up the stairs in the back. I found it by accident and decided to try it. Fried food is not my favorite, I know I am from South Carolina!, but if you enjoy fried seafood, you will love it! The sushi is a must for those busy excursion days when you don’t have time for lunch. It is pre-made and you cannot order what you want, but the menu changes every day. A perfect appetizer—definitely not a meal.

Cabin

I had an inside stateroom—no windows, balconies, port holes, nothing—but it was just fine. I did have a roommate, but we had plenty of room for everything (2 girls with TONS of clothes and about 40 pairs of shoes between the 2 of us!) and we never really ran into each other too much. I brought earplugs and slept like a baby. I never felt claustrophobic at all—which was a pleasant surprise. I do recommend an extension cord with multiple prongs and the over-the-door shower thing. There is plenty of shelf space over the sink, but when you are in the shower, there is no room to put your shampoo, razor, shaving cream, etc. But, if you have everything in the over-the-door holder, it is right there!

Excursions

I highly recommend using this Cruise Critic site and book your excursions with private companies. My sister-in-law, Holly, did all our homework for us and we had the best trips you could imagine including Captain Marvin’s on Grand Cayman, Victor Bodden in Roatan (awesome guide), and Cavetubing.com in Belize.

My favorite port was Belize. The cavetubing.com crew, Yhony, Dennis and Dutch Boy, make it an event you will never forget. I would recommend the cavetubing.com excursion over any on the other islands if you have to choose. Do not book the cavetubing excursion through Carnival. I guarantee you will be disappointed. We had our own videographer recording our experience and I cannot wait until we get the DVD and can relive that experience. And the meal afterwards at Amigos was probably the best meal of the trip (and the food on the ship was amazing!). In Belize, also make time to go outside the port and shop in the flea market—Dennis will point it out to you as you drive by. You can bargain and get some great buys there. It is very safe.

Sail Days

On the ship, I found it very easy to find chairs any where. I am not a big sun person, but there were plenty of chairs underneath balconies so I could also enjoy the fun. The wait staff on the Lido deck is amazing. I don’t think more than 2 minutes went by without someone coming by to ask if you need a refill. I recommend the Drink of the Day…whatever it is. And with the running joke with my group, it does have alcohol in it! I was amazed at how friendly and accommodating the staff was. One waiter, Leonardo, remembered my name after 1 drink order…he seemed to come by with my Drink of the Day just when I was about to call for him. He remembered my name and sign & sail number each time. I left him an extra tip at the end. Please don’t forget to tip these waiters extra if you get extra special service. It is amazing how hard they work for you.

Dinner was great each evening. I went to Scarlett’s one evening, but was not overly thrilled. I would have rather eaten in the dining room without the extra cost. During the entertainment session at dinner, if you are on the upper level, make sure you move to get a view of the lower deck. Savio was our waiter and an amazing dancer. It is worth getting up to move and watch him dance!

I went to the show the first night, but I am clearly not a show person. I found it somewhat cheesy and could not stop laughing. It was just clearly not my thing. Others really enjoyed the shows and got there early to get a good seat.

Piano Bar

Ok, on to my favorite thing…The Piano Bar! It was clearly my favorite and the place where my family/friends could find me from 10-2 each evening. Doug is fantastic. It was his first week on the Valor and he did a great job. Extremely talented—I am just amazed at how he can remember so many songs. I will be singing Sweet Caroline for a long time….oh, and my theme song, Delta Dawn! The same crowd tended to be at the piano bar each night and I met some really great people who were not in my group. Yes, as Adrian said, tell Doug I said hi! I just adored the Piano Man, er I mean Piano Bar! Doug will be on the Valor until mid-February, so if you are cruising between now and then, definitely visit. You will have a great time. As expected, the wait staff was fantastic. German remembered my drink after day 1 and always had another one coming at just the right moment.

Again, don’t forget to take cash and show your gratitude for such great service. The $70 in tips that they take out automatically, in my mind is way too low. I was treated like a princess for a week and definitely took cash for extra tips. Everyone on that ship goes above and beyond to make sure you have a great time!

Oh, the weather was fabulous…basically about 85-90 and sunny.

So, I am at work with over 200 emails to respond to and keep reminiscing about the trip. I just can’t seem to get the smile off my face. It is truly one I will not forget. I am so envious of you who are traveling the Valor soon—I hope you have a safe and wonderful time and enjoy it as much as my family/friends and I did. I will definitely be taking another cruise real soon!

That must be a SC thing, because when my dad was alive he always used to sing that song (I was born in SC).

Delta Dawn, what's that flower you have on

Could it be a faded rose from days gone by

And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today

To take you to his mansion in the sky

She's forty-one and her daddy still calls her "baby"

All the folks around Brownsville say she's crazy

'Cause she walks around town with a suitcase in her hand

Looking for a mysterious dark-haired man

In her younger days they called her Delta Dawn

Prettiest woman you ever laid eyes on

Then a man of low degree stood by her side

And promised her he'd take her for his bride

Delta Dawn, what's that flower you have on

Could it be a faded rose from days gone by

And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today

To take you to his mansion in the sky

I love that song. You brought back a lot of memories when you mentioned that - thanks!!

Piano Bar.oh, and my theme song, Delta Dawn!

Yes, I did try the fish & chips. Not impressed though. I am not a huge fried seafood person. Believe it or not with me being from South Carolina.

It was really fun having a theme song! Loved it. THanks for the reminder..made me smile again.

Great Review! It gets me excited for our cruise. Can I ask what Piano Man Doug looked like??????? The piano bar was a favorite place the last time I was on the Valor...and Ron has been replaced by Doug so I am just curious :o

Glad to hear your vacation was so enjoyable. My sister and brother-in-law are on Valor this week. Hope you left the ship and good shape! They are doing the eastern carib. Unfortunately we were supposed to be on this cruise with them but had to cancel a few days before leaving as my father-in-law was diagnosed with a very large anuryism (sp chek) and is in need of immediate surgery. I just popped on to cruise critic to see if anyone was

posting from Valor this week.

God bless you and again I'm happy for you that you had such a nice vacation.

Archived