West Coast roundtrip to Hawaii question..

twobluecats

...hubby and I were discussing the details of our upcoming cruise to Hawaii in April, and he mentioned how we'd never sailed in completely open seas before. I think the notion of not seeing any land or other signs of life for four days seemed a bit daunting. Any firsthand experience (advise) for our four wonderful days at sea (generally our favorite days on a cruise!).

For those who are big fans of sea days (like DH and me), the idea of seeing nothing but sea and sky for days on end is pure heaven. We loved our Hawaii cruise last year on Infinity - four sea days out and four back. Even better are transatlantic cruises which offer even more sea days. Best advice - relax and enjoy 'cause the days pass all too quickly.

Hi Bluecats,

We have made transAtlantic cruises on both the Millennium and Constellation, and had wonderful crossings on both ships. Celebrity has what they call enrichment programs, that enhance the cruise experience when you have a number of sea days in your itinerary. There are lectures covering such things as finances, film making, ocean liners, sports etc. There will be motion pictures in the theater and the show room. The cruise director will be busy with other forms of entertainment, so you can be sure that you will find plenty to do during the four sea days you have crossing and recrossing the Pacific to Hawaii.

In addition you should have excellent weather, with many activities on deck both during the days and evenings. Be sure to sign up for the Celebrity Connections party, and you may enjoy the relaxed environment to socialize with some of your fellow cruisers. We have come to enjoy a series of sea days to really relax and enjoy the cruise experience, and believe you will also find it a pleasant experience.

petert

twobluecats,

...hubby and I were discussing the details of our upcoming cruise to Hawaii in April, and he mentioned how we'd never sailed in completely open seas before. I think the notion of not seeing any land or other signs of life for four days seemed a bit daunting. Any firsthand experience (advise) for our four wonderful days at sea (generally our favorite days on a cruise!).

That's actually a fabulous itinerary, from which I just returned! You have four days to unwind before you get to the islands, five days of intense sightseeing in the islands, and four more days to unwind before returning home. The islands are wonderful and the says at sea are even better, so relax and enjoy! This really is cruising at its best.

Norm.

If you have been on the Carribean and are not bothered by being in the middle of the ocean for one day, and you liked the relaxation of not feeling like you need to get off the boat and do something, then you'll love the Hawaii RT Itenerary.

I felt much more rested coming off that intenerary than I did last weeks more port intensive cruise to Mexico.

I sailed this itinerary in October and loved the sea days, although I had some similar concerns prior to the cruise. It was almost like three separate cruises on one vacation-- 4 days to unwind, 5 to sightsee, and 4 more to unwind. Setting sail and knowing that there was nothing expected or needing to be done for four days was a great break.

We did end up getting more involved in ships activities during this cruise, partly because we stayed for Pictionary after the Cruise Connections party and then met some people we enjoyed spending time with and went to activities with them. Reading on the balcony in the morning with nothing but waves as far as the eye can see was very relaxing. If I had to choose whether I enjoyed the ports or the sea days more on this cruise... it would be a tough decision. :o

We were on the Summit earlier this year for the Los Angeles RT cruise to Hawaii. We have also done a trans atlantic cruise. I really don't see a difference in sailing in open seas where you can't see any land or sailing in the sea where you can see some land from a distance. In addition to seeing the beautiful islands of Hawaii, what's so nice about this cruise is that you have four days at sea to relax before seeing the islands and then you have another four days at sea on your return back to Los Angeles. The days at sea are always a great part of the cruise and Celebrity had many different activities during the sea days and of course it did provide lots of time for reading as well.

Keith

Archived