Puddle Jumper Airplane

AFT_LOVER

and I predict trouble, which we had when Delta changed planes in Atlanta to fly us to CLE after Freedom in Miami. I just got my air schedule from my TA for 4/16 Trans Atlantic cruise on Brilliance. American Airlines #3912 is actually a 40 seater American Eagle & the odds of our luggage not making on the flight are very high. We had this on Delta's puddle jumper plane & all the carryons that had to be checked. We got luggage 17 hours later. This is 6 days at sea & no clothes would be a disaster so I am not flying on it. So now I wait to hear what else.

Why are the odds of your luggage not making it very high?

I've flown on these planes often. Many times they have more legroom than a big 747.

Your carry on will be gate checked and will definately make it on and be waiting for you on the tarmack when you deplane.

Fly a day early I say. Even big jets can be delayed or cancelled like they were last week for snow in the midwest.

since they need the room for carry ons. Last one was 10/22 returning from Freedom & we waited 18 hours for it to show. Delta aka SAS was the one. If it had all the legroom than carryons could fit under the seats.

Now I know to say NO. I want a regular jet to get me there for the high fare we are paying. I am not too entertained without luggage before the ship leaves & no port for 6 days. We have had that in Venice thanks to KLM when luggage never got off the plane.

You sound like Delta! The great airline who changes flights from 757 to Umbriars to Salt Lake City thus bumping us from the flight with 225 booked & seating for 80.

Why are the odds of your luggage not making it very high?

I've flown on these planes often. Many times they have more legroom than a big 747.

Your carry on will be gate checked and will definately make it on and be waiting for you on the tarmack when you deplane.

Fly a day early I say. Even big jets can be delayed or cancelled like they were last week for snow in the midwest.

"puddle jumpers" are those wee airplanes that some airlines use for some of their routes - used to be just for "short hops" but now some of them are using the little ones for longer flights.

I was thrilled when Midwest started offering direct service between Milwaukee (where my family is) and Hartford CT (where I am) -- not only nonstop service but those great warm chocolate chip cookies, too! However, after a year or two they switched from the "regular" planes (7-something-7s and the like) to planes like the little Embraers which, as I recall, only have about 38 seats on them.

I hadn't paid any attention to the notations on the reservation regarding the airplane, so I was really surprised to be told I couldn't take my little wheelie suitcase on board because it was too big for the overhead compartments on the little plane! Minor inconvenience - I had to go into my suitcase in the airport and take out the book, etc, I had packed for onboard entertainment. They gate-checked it, and it was waiting for me in the jetway when I got off the plane.

I had no idea they could wind the rubber band on those itty bitty planes tight enough to get us all the way from Hartford to Milwaukee, but we got there just fine! My son, who has become a white-knuckle flier since 9/11, did not fare as well as I did. He just does not feel comfortable in the small planes; he is more prone to motion sickness than I am, plus a dose of nerves (the little planes are more susceptible to turbulence, which I'm sure contributed). He actually got to his knees and kissed the ground when we got off! :D

"puddle jumpers" are those wee airplanes that some airlines use for some of their routes - used to be just for "short hops" but now some of them are using the little ones for longer flights.

I was thrilled when Midwest started offering direct service between Milwaukee (where my family is) and Hartford CT (where I am) -- not only nonstop service but those great warm chocolate chip cookies, too! However, after a year or two they switched from the "regular" planes (7-something-7s and the like) to planes like the little Embraers which, as I recall, only have about 38 seats on them.

I hadn't paid any attention to the notations on the reservation regarding the airplane, so I was really surprised to be told I couldn't take my little wheelie suitcase on board because it was too big for the overhead compartments on the little plane! Minor inconvenience - I had to go into my suitcase in the airport and take out the book, etc, I had packed for onboard entertainment. They gate-checked it, and it was waiting for me in the jetway when I got off the plane.

I had no idea they could wind the rubber band on those itty bitty planes tight enough to get us all the way from Hartford to Milwaukee, but we got there just fine! My son, who has become a white-knuckle flier since 9/11, did not fare as well as I did. He just does not feel comfortable in the small planes; he is more prone to motion sickness than I am, plus a dose of nerves (the little planes are more susceptible to turbulence, which I'm sure contributed). He actually got to his knees and kissed the ground when we got off! :D

The small ones are claustrophobic to me, but not to the point that I can't fly on them, not yet anyway. I can't let myself think about it!

I guess I was confusing them with "poodle skirts" or something...:rolleyes:

When I book a flight, I always go online and look at the type of aircraft on the airline's website. If it says ER4 or something like that, I keep looking...

I probably research my air connections as much as I research the cruise...Ya can't do one without the other. (At least from Oklahoma, you can't!)

LL

The last time that I flew on an ER4 (American), the attendant actually came on and pulled one passenger (and his luggage) off the plane, because the aircraft was overweight!! So the plane flew with one seat empty because of the weight of baggage. It pays to check in early (and often) when you're flying the small ones...

LL

The last time that I flew on an ER4 (American), the attendant actually came on and pulled one passenger (and his luggage) off the plane, because the aircraft was overweight!! So the plane flew with one seat empty because of the weight of baggage. It pays to check in early (and often) when you're flying the small ones...

LL

I've seen them even out the weight distribution by moving passengers around, but I've not yet seen them remove anyone. I bet that passenger was non too happy! :eek:

I've seen them even out the weight distribution by moving passengers around, but I've not yet seen them remove anyone. I bet that passenger was non too happy! :eek:

I was actually on an American EAgle (only airplane I could fly in to west TExas) and do to ice, they told us the 2 people had to get off & offerred compensation. well since it was the last flight to the destination that night, noone budged. we all sat in the little bus (before Eagle got it's own terminal at DFW) and stared at each other. FINALLY 2 young guys volunteered & we were all happy. So we board the plane and all is getting settle d and we wait and we wait and we wait some more. Finally, the plane door opens and here come the 2 guys, they didn't need them to get off afterall:rolleyes:

I have also been on Eagle whenever they have redistributed passengers.

Have flown Eagle a great deal, hey if it's all that goes there, one doesn't have much of a choice.

good luck. thanks for the heads up if I ever let RCCL do my flight, haven't yet, but...

to U S Scare CLE-MIA & I was told that our luggage will arrive! URGENT tags will be put on them per RCI to USAir to make sure they get to the airport for us to take to the ship in MIA. Now that is service!

Oh & to the delightful woman on my cruise from the far East side suburb in Lake County, we did book air when we bought the cruise last month. Yesterday I got the email from the Air Dept what my flight was. Then my TA phoned them to tell them about the pain with luggage so we got a better flight. After their booked air for Freedom & no luggage at Hopkins airport due to weight of the plane & all the carryons that made it but no checked luggage. 49 pissed folks at the baggage carousel that had no luggage.

We agreed with our TA that no more puddle jumpers for a cruise. 2 weeks with no clothes? RCI will be buying our formalwear as well as casual wear with the air they booked. First port is almost a week at sea.

Archived