To Complimentary Upgrade or To Not...

taszmom

I am booked in a Cat BA Verandah on the Zuiderdam...I am wondering if I should say YES to the Complementary Upgrade or NOT. If I am going to be upgraded to another Verandah but on a higher deck, I'd say NO, I'll stay iun my mid-ship BA 5101, but if I were to get a SUITE, hey yippee, I don't care where it is. The price difference is so great between the 2 categories that I would say it's very unlikely. I'm sailing in October, what have your experiences been?

I book my certain cabin in my certain area of the ship that I enjoy and I book early to insure this. One year, HAL offered us an upgrade. I always book category K, inside cabin on the Main Deck, mid-ship on the S style ships. The upgrade they offered, which I didn't think it was very good because of the location of the cabins, was an outside cabin on the Dolphin Deck mid-ship, or a cabin Main Deck, aft. I decided not to accept the upgrade and stayed with my original cabin. BUT I didn't book a guarantee, I booked my certain cabin number so I was able to decline the upgrade. If you book a guarantee, I don't believe you are not able to decline an upgrade, you take what they give you.

If you book guarantee, you take what they give you and it's usually assigned 7-10 days prior to sail date. If you don't like the assignment, not much can be done about it since the ship is usually booked full and you find out your cabin so close to sail date. So if the location is important to you, do not book a guarantee. We tried it once on HAL and got the exact category we booked in the worst location (forward, first cabin). Since then I'd rather spend a little more, pick the exact cabin/category and know that I will be happy with it.

Happy Sailing!

Archived