Ever use Aquapac underwater for camera?

AndyPanda

The Aquapac is probably OK for surface snorkeling, but I wouldn't want to dive with one. If you have ever gone underwater, even just 5 feet, your ears have told you the pressure increases pretty quickly. The water pressure will push equally on all the camera's buttons as you descend. Once you get to the point where the pressure has pushed all the buttons down all the way, your camera will be essentially inoperable.

I think most people don't take into account this pressure induced problem, they are usually more concerned about water leakage.

As for tips, make sure there are NO foreign objects in the closure when you close it up. Even one hair will allow enough water to enter the bag to ruin your camera. Keep it very clean. Lubricate it if the instructions call for it, but do so sparingly. Dry off the bag before you open it to take out the camera. Don't put the camera in the bag if you are in a high humidity environment. Once you enter the water, the water will cool the air inside the bag and you might get moisture condensing one the lens. Obviously this make taken photos more difficult.

Hope this helps,

B

I use a regular hard waterproof case, but many of the guidelines would be the same.

Putting the camera in the bag in the a/c comfort of the cabin will reduce the moisture trapped in the bag. Figure out in advance which controls you will have access to once the camera is in the bag. You may not have access to all and full camera functionality once in the bag.

Digital cameras generate heat which also helps condensate form on the inside of the bag. If you turn it off when not in use, you will extend battery life and help reduce condensation.

If your camera has underwater settings (most don't), use those, otherwise disable auto-white balance and set sunlight or cloudy, whichever is more appropriate for the conditions.

Test the bag/camera for waterproofness in a sink or pool before jumping in.

I usually seal my camera up the night before and toss in a desiccant capsule or two to really help eliminate any chance of condensation.

I use a regular hard waterproof case, but many of the guidelines would be the same.

Putting the camera in the bag in the a/c comfort of the cabin will reduce the moisture trapped in the bag. Figure out in advance which controls you will have access to once the camera is in the bag. You may not have access to all and full camera functionality once in the bag.

Digital cameras generate heat which also helps condensate form on the inside of the bag. If you turn it off when not in use, you will extend battery life and help reduce condensation.

If your camera has underwater settings (most don't), use those, otherwise disable auto-white balance and set sunlight or cloudy, whichever is more appropriate for the conditions.

Test the bag/camera for waterproofness in a sink or pool before jumping in.

I usually seal my camera up the night before and toss in a desiccant capsule or two to really help eliminate any chance of condensation.

I bought one and I just couldn't get the bag to seal. Thinking that there might be something wrong with it, I sent it back for a new one and that one also would not seal.

In the end, I just ended up using a disposable underwater camera.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought one and I just couldn't get the bag to seal. Thinking that there might be something wrong with it, I sent it back for a new one and that one also would not seal.

In the end, I just ended up using a disposable underwater camera.

I bought one for my Canon A95....and just found it to be a huge pain to try to operate the camera and set controls, zoom etc....very disappointing. I practices extensively this past summer, and had little success. Am going to "bite the bullet" and buy Canon's waterproof housing for my A95.

I couldn't get a hard underwater housing for my digicam (a Fuji brand) so bought an Aquapac. Follow all the advice above for it, but try it out in a large sink or bath first so you can work out the best way to put your camera in so that you can operate the controls.

As long as your camera doesn't have too many knobs and buttons on it you should be fine. Mine is a simple 'point and shoot' with just a small zoom lens. It works fine with the Aquapac.

Archived