TBD vs GUAR

stever

We booked a very cheap cruise on the Century for Jan 13th. Cat Z which is $250 less than Cat 12. My question is why would anyone book a Cat 12 for $250 more instead of a Cat Z? There are no lesser inside cabins than a Cat 12. Am I misssing something here?

Thanks

perhaps some people really like to know exactly what cabin they are getting? Others might be naive and choose because they don't know any better.

I'm with you, though. I just changed my concierge class cabin to a suite guarantee. I got $50 back, and the next day was assigned a sky suite.

If you wanted the cheap price, but didn't want a cabin at the back of the ship with all the vibration and engine, you might want to consider paying the difference. For the cabins we tend to book, I'd take the Gty for my category and hope for the best. I would not take a Z or Y Gty, just for the odds of being stuck near the engines

My theory is that Celebrity offers the W, X, Y and Z guarantees as a way to keep people who have booked specific categories of cabins from getting refunds for price drops. I just wish we could take advantage of them sometime. I never see them offered for the cruises we're considering.

We just booked a guaranteed inside room on the Century for 1/27/07. The day after we booked we were assigned a room number. The room is right next to the elevators. I am guessing these rooms are less desireable due to possible noise, and that is why we only paid $555 for the cruise. My wife and I cruise on a limited budget, and we are NOT particular about little stuff like that. We are just happy to get away. The money we save will be used to go again someday!!!

We just booked a guaranteed inside room on the Century for 1/27/07. The day after we booked we were assigned a room number. The room is right next to the elevators. I am guessing these rooms are less desireable due to possible noise, and that is why we only paid $555 for the cruise. My wife and I cruise on a limited budget, and we are NOT particular about little stuff like that. We are just happy to get away. The money we save will be used to go again someday!!!

We have stayed in cabins right next to the elevator. Never heard a thing. Would stay in those cabins again.

I forgot to mention that in CAT 12, only guarantees are left.

Geoherb, never thought of that, you are very smart.

Johndeere, got the same deal. This is the tightest budget we've been on. Would have propably skipped winter vacation this year. But at these prices.

If you wanted the cheap price, but didn't want a cabin at the back of the ship with all the vibration and engine, you might want to consider paying the difference. For the cabins we tend to book, I'd take the Gty for my category and hope for the best. I would not take a Z or Y Gty, just for the odds of being stuck near the engines

Chessbriar,

What is the difference between the standard Gty, and Z or Y Gty? I thought they all just meant that you would get no less than the grade of cabin that was gauranteed, or better, but could be placed anywhere on the ship. Are the odds greater of being near the engine if you book a Z or Y class?

Z is inside guarantee.

Y is oceanview guarantee.

The least category for Z is 12.

The least category for Y is 8.

There is no such rate code as standard guarantee.

The is a category guarantee.. such as when there are no actual cabin assignments, say in a Cat 4. Your cabin selection is gty. So you would get a cat 4 or better.

Archived