Botfly ?

tlkr

Hello All - I was warned about Botfly's in Belize. Has anyone been to Belize and had an egg laid in them?? So what I have heard is that the Botfly lays egg's on a mosquito and then the mosquito bites humans which makes the Botfly's egg go into the human's skin. The Botfly's egg then hatches and the larvae lives inside the skin for a while. Now I know that all sounds really gross - but I am wondering if they are a huge problem in Belize. Any help would be great!

I wouldn't fret about it. Odds are it won't happen to you. If it does, one effective method of extraction is a Venom Extractor, purchased many a place on the NET. I've seen it work first hand.

Some will claim that suffocating with glue or nail polish will do the trick, don't bother. Even if you get the little sh*t to pop it's "head" out for air you have to worry about the anchoring spines it has dug into you. Surgically removing would be expensive.

Just suck that sucker out!

Venom Extractor:

safetycentral_1925_10034036

Have someone check your neck & scalp occassionaly, that's where you may end up with one.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it can happen. But we have many church members who have made repeated trips to the Panama Canal area (Boca Del Toras-sp?) where this can also be a problem and none of them has had a problem. DEET is all you need to avoid the botfly and malaria.

Archived