Hilo- Volcano Parks Tour with NCL ?

jadaz

We rented a car for $30. Saved $150 from the NCL excursion. We followed the big bus around the park. It was easy.

You will have more flexibility of you do it this way. One of the highlights of the visit to the park is the ability to walk across Kiluaea Iki...this is the part of Kiluaea that had huge lava fountaining in the late 50's. Also...there are many areas within the park that you can stop and walk solo.

However you will miss the driver/guide's information.

It is not a long drive from Hilo and is an easy ride. With one exception...if they are still allowing cars to go down the Chain of Craters road...there are alot of turns...but then again it's what you're comfortable with.

This is a link to the National Parks website for the park:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/

And here is their eruption update:

With some luck, the lava will be active when you visit and you might even be able to get up very close. It's hot...very hot...I have a pair of sneakers that melted to show just how hot it can be.

Aloha,

W A W W

As a previous poster said, NCL offers more than one volcano tour. On the Star in 2002, we took the "deluxe" tour, and we were in a van of about 8 people. It was pricey, but being in a small group made for a great experience. The guide - Danny, I can still remember his name - was knowlegeable, entertaining, and overall outstanding. Our tour included a lunch of sandwiches, chips, cookies, and soda - nothing fancy, but we made a picnic out of it, and it was great fun.

Have a wonderful cruise. Hawaii is beautiful.

In Oct. we took the Volcano National Park Tour with NCL (PoAm). This was probably the best tour we have been on (3 couples -50ish).

They tour on a large passenger bus with the driver's naration informative and amusing. They offered many stops with enough time at each location, to get off the bus, wander around and take pictures. We felt that had we rented a car for this instead, we would have missed a lot of information.

BTW, on the way back they showed a documentary type film that was very good but it also gave us time to relax.

We did mix up renting cars and taking NCL tours on this cruise but felt this was one tour worth doing.

We took the Volcano Tour from NCL for $92 per person on POH on 11/27 to 12/4. It was a great tour. But you can get the same tour for half the price with the same provider Polynesian Adventure Tours directly. You can call them on their 800 number and check it out. They will pick you up from pier little later than the NCL tour times. Many private tours are also at lower and 1/2 the prices with same iteinary.

You will have more flexibility of you do it this way. One of the highlights of the visit to the park is the ability to walk across Kiluaea Iki...this is the part of Kiluaea that had huge lava fountaining in the late 50's. Also...there are many areas within the park that you can stop and walk solo.

However you will miss the driver/guide's information.

It is not a long drive from Hilo and is an easy ride. With one exception...if they are still allowing cars to go down the Chain of Craters road...there are alot of turns...but then again it's what you're comfortable with.

This is a link to the National Parks website for the park:

And here is their eruption update:

With some luck, the lava will be active when you visit and you might even be able to get up very close. It's hot...very hot...I have a pair of sneakers that melted to show just how hot it can be.

Aloha,

W A W W

I always try to use the tour bus due to the narration and extra information you get from a knowledgable source.

One such piece of advice: the driver cautioned us several times not to walk on the dired lava EXCEPT where the park service has marked it. When the lava cools, it can create hollow spots underneath and the weight of a person can crack it and the person fall into the dried lava. He said, he has seen several "foolish" (as he called them) people get seriously injured for walking on the dried lava flows. (he even pointed out a carload of "fools" as we drove by and they were out on the dried lava.)

I always try to use the tour bus due to the narration and extra information you get from a knowledgable source.

One such piece of advice: the driver cautioned us several times not to walk on the dired lava EXCEPT where the park service has marked it. When the lava cools, it can create hollow spots underneath and the weight of a person can crack it and the person fall into the dried lava. He said, he has seen several "foolish" (as he called them) people get seriously injured for walking on the dried lava flows. (he even pointed out a carload of "fools" as we drove by and they were out on the dried lava.)

I did the lava hike last year when we cruised the Wind--the trail is only marked for a short distance and then it's follow the guide to the hot lava. Probably risky to do it on your own. A pax from the Wind cruise a few after ours got lost in the lava field and had to be rescued by helicopter--by which time the ship had departed--after off-loading the guy's wife. So I'd suggest a guided, ship sponsored tour if you want to hike the lava field.

I had pre-booked the "Kilauea Lava Viewing Adventure". However, last week when I was in Hawaii apparently the close-by lava stopped flowing a few days before my excursion - it figures. I didn't get to see lava upclose afterall. There was one couple that was very angry and kept harping on the tour guide about how they were suppose to see lava. Some people need to get a grip - this is not Hollywood made stuff and can't be controlled!

So instead we were taken to many places all over Volcano National Park which was nice and we also went to a winery and nut factory. Not much hiking at all - it ended up being a very easy tour. That would probably be disappointing to some people.

Archived