April San Diego trip-beach?

kml1211

Hi all!

Just got back from our Hawaiian cruise and I am already planning another trip! I am looking at Spring Break in San Diego. This would be strictly a land tour. We have never been to San Diego before, but I have heard it is wonderful. I am looking for some help and suggestions.

1st- is April still going to be too cool for the beach? If so, I won't bother with trying to find a beach hotel.

2nd- If not the beach, where is the best place to stay with two young adults? My girls love exploring new things, but we don't need anything over-the-top fancy (not for this trip- Hawaii broke the bank!). But, I would like something memorable, preferrably less than 200.00 a night for the three of us. And we don't want to stay at a huge resort, it would be nice to be able to make it out the front door in less than 30 minutes!

3rd-How do we get around? Is renting a car the best option? I know that the trolley will drop you off at prime locations, but at 30.00 a person it does not exactly qualify as "cheap transportation". Is there a bus that will take us to the same locations at a more reasonable rate? We love the transportation system in Chicago- is it similar here?

4th-Is LegoLand too childish, or would a 10 yo and 16 yo think it was kinda fun? We still like Disney World, but only because they have the stuff for the older kids, too.

5th-What are the top 5 "Must Do"s (in your opinion?).

6th- What are the best restaurants for families? Doesn't have to be cheap, just not haute cuisine- for some reason they don't go for it!

I appreciate any help you can give!

(and if you are planning a trip to Minnesota- yeah, right!- I will return the favor!)

KML

The weather in April will probably be okay for San Diego. The water - well, even in the summer it is cold. California gets it water fresh frozen from Alaska. It is not like the water in Hawaii at all.

Hotel Circle (on both sides of the 8 freeway between the 5 freeway and the 163 freeway) has hotels with good prices. Also try Priceline and Hotwire.

$30 for the trolley??? Are you sure about that. Or is that the cost for three people round trip? It has been a while for me, but I don't recall the trolley costing more than a few bucks for the trip from downtown to the Mexican border (each way).

You 16 year old would not like Legoland and your 10 year old will say that was nice, but not want to go back. Legoland is for the much younger set.

Do: Zoo (of course) Wild Animal Park (you will need a car for that) Sea World and two more I cannot think of at the moment.

San Diego is a big city with lots of choices, including Mexican (of course). I like Benihana (which is near the zoo).

I was looking at the Trolley "tour" which is the same thing they have in Boston where they drive you to different sites and give you historical information on each one, you can get off at the site and board another trolley later. Is there a different Trolley? I would be interested in something where you just pay a few bucks to go here or there- like they have in other cities- and is more just transportation and not a tour.

On the website it said 30.00 for an adult.

It would be nice not to have to rent a car, but not a problem if I have to. I have been through Lion Country Safari (in Florida) more times than I can count. Does anyone know if this Wild Animal Park safari is worth doing if we have done the same thing before? We are definitely doing the Zoo, but am not sure if the Wild Animal Park is worth renting a car for.

If we stayed on the beach is La Jolla a nice area? I was also looking at the Surfer hotel, not sure of its location, though. We don't want to be too far from the action. I have seen many on Mission Bay with water sports, but what is the water clarity like? Even though I swim in lakes, I am still not a big fan of swimming in water where I can't see what is in it.

KML

I was looking at the Trolley "tour" which is the same thing they have in Boston where they drive you to different sites and give you historical information on each one, you can get off at the site and board another trolley later. Is there a different Trolley? I would be interested in something where you just pay a few bucks to go here or there- like they have in other cities- and is more just transportation and not a tour.

On the website it said 30.00 for an adult.

It would be nice not to have to rent a car, but not a problem if I have to. I have been through Lion Country Safari (in Florida) more times than I can count. Does anyone know if this Wild Animal Park safari is worth doing if we have done the same thing before? We are definitely doing the Zoo, but am not sure if the Wild Animal Park is worth renting a car for.

If we stayed on the beach is La Jolla a nice area? I was also looking at the Surfer hotel, not sure of its location, though. We don't want to be too far from the action. I have seen many on Mission Bay with water sports, but what is the water clarity like? Even though I swim in lakes, I am still not a big fan of swimming in water where I can't see what is in it.

KML

RE: trolley - we are talking about different things. Check out these links ...

Route - http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/trolley/trolleymap.asp

Fares -

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/fares/index.asp

http://www.sdcommute.com/

Guide -

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/casdmenu/a/trolley.htm

http://sandiego.about.com/od/transportation/San_Diego_Public_Transportation.htm

More info -

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/casdmenu/ss/trolley_7.htm

If you have been to Lion Country Safari then you can skip the Wild Animal Park.

I don't live in San Diego, so I cannot comment on La Jolla. However, a good reference for hotels is ...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

And you can try this ...

http://www.mytravelguide.com/?referral_id=PCLN&referral_click_id=HOTELSURVEY

NOT!!! These parks are totally different. You do not drive around the WAP. It is toured by foot and a monorail. It is not just a tourist attraction, but a major research and endangered species reproduction center. They are VERY different places. It is like saying if you have been on one cruise, you have been on them all!!!!

Top 5:

The San Diego Zoo

The Wild Animal Park

Cabrillo National Monument

La Jolla Cove and surrounding area

Balboa Park museums and gardens (the roses will be in their glory)

Other possibilities:

The Midway aircraft carrier museum

Harbor cruise

Old Town State Park

Torrey Pines Preserve

The San Diego Trolley is our light rail rapid transit system. It only goes to very limited areas, and not to the Zoo or Balboa Park at all. You can take it from Mission Valley to the Gaslamp Quarter or Old Town for less than $5 each way, and you can take it all the way to the San Diego/Mexico border if you really want to see Tijuana.

The Old Town Trolley is a commercial bus that looks like a trolley car. They give tours around San Diego where you can hop on and off at different tourist attractions including the Zoo, Balboa Park, the Hotel Del Coronado, Cabrillo Monument and Mission Bay. It costs about $30/person for a day long ticket.

I recommend getting a car in San Diego if you want to see the most sights in the shortest time, esp. if you plan on doing anything other than the Zoo.

April is OK for WALKING on the beach (Torrey Pines State Beach is my favorite for this) but it is WAY too cold to swim without a wet suit. The water in April will be in the mid 50s F. Torrey Pines State Preserve is a good place to hike and overlooks Torrey Pines State Beach. The Birch Aquarium in La Jolla (on the UCSD campus) also offers great views, and kids always like to see the hang gliders and parasailers at the Torrey Pines Hang Glider port.

I don't swim in Mission Bay. It is too often contaminated after a rain. It is a dregged out swamp, so the water is poorly flushed out to the ocean, and too many creeks and storm drains empty into it for me. If you have a wet suit, and want to swim or snorkle, La Jolla Cove is the place to go as the Marine Preserve there has a lot to see...but it will be COLD! Great visability in our ocean water is 10 feet....3-5 feet is more common. It is not Florida.

To eat with kids:

The Corvette Diner in Hillcrest

The food court at Horton Plaza

The Fish Market (downstairs) or Anthony's (seafood at both)

Old Town Mexican Cafe

Seau's in Mission Valley (sports restaurant)

Cheesecake Factory (Fashion Valley Mall, long wait usually)

Rubio's (fish tacos...a San Diego institution, multiple locations)

April is also when Opening Day is for baseball. If the timing is right, you might want to take in a Padres baseball game.

The Surfer Beach Hotel is actually more like a motel, but it is right on the beach in Pacific Beach (not La Jolla, which is further up the coast). You would definately need a car if you plan to stay there.

Splinter, as usual, has given excellent suggestions. I agree with the top five, but under other possibilities I would add a trip to Coronado and the Hotel Del. We like to take the ferry over, then either rent bikes or take the trolley to the Hotel Del where you can wonder around and read about the hotel's history, then grab and ice cream cone and take walk along the beach. It makes for a very enjoyable afternoon.

Oh and don't forget about Sea World.

I also agree with Splinter that renting a car will be worth the investment.

And I too would NOT swim in Mission Bay.

If you spend a day in La Jolla - at the cove and wondering through the shops - you might like having lunch at The Hard Rock Cafe.

And everyone that comes to California must have and In and Out Burger!!

Found some 1/2 off hotels for San Diego in our local "Entertainment" book.

Their site is http://www.entertainment.com

Also found some coupons here:

ave $8 off a one day general admission to the San Diego Zoo. Good for up to 6 tickets. Click here for the printable coupon. Expires 3/31/07. Thanks to Jay B for info.!

That site also has other SD coupons.

Hope this helps.

Thanks you for this post...I'm finding some great advice here too.

I don't live in San Diego, so I cannot comment on La Jolla. However, a good reference for hotels is ...[/url]

Oh my goodness! The Wild Animal Park is NOTHING like Lion Country Safari, and to think it is, is a crying shame. The WAP is a beautiful Park and has lots of interest and photography options for everyone. They have wonderful shows and walking trails too. It is part of the famous San Diego Zoo, so please don't compare it to Lion Country Safari. Maybe stick to what you "know".:D

Oh my goodness! The Wild Animal Park is NOTHING like Lion Country Safari, and to think it is, is a crying shame. The WAP is a beautiful Park and has lots of interest and photography options for everyone. They have wonderful shows and walking trails too. It is part of the famous San Diego Zoo, so please don't compare it to Lion Country Safari. Maybe stick to what you "know".:D

I have been to both several times. The poster is looking to avoid the cost of a rental car. The only way to get from San Diego to the SD Wild Animal Park is via a car. I don't think it is worth the cost of a rental car to see if one has been to Lion Country Safari several times.

By the way, I would love to go back to both. I have been a visitor at the SD Wild Animal Park several times. I have done the sleep over, and I would like to do the photo safari.

I enjoy having the monkeys climb on the car and have a real good photo somewhere (I think this was pre-digital). I also enjoy feeding the animals at other drive through safaris (I don't ever recall being able to feed the animals during the drive through at Lion Country Safari).

You and the prior poster who said the same thing have taken my comment out of context. I was not comparing the two. I simply meant that if one has been to an animal park and one is looking to save money and does not want to rent a car, then giving up the SD Wild Animal Park is a good idea.

For those who have never been, yes it is worth the money. Otherwise it is a different, yet similar experience and not worth the extra cost to someone on a budget.

The same could be said for an ocean view vs. a balcony. If one is on a budget, then the balcony is not worth the extra cost. However, I do believe the balcony is worth the extra cost if you can afford it. The experience one gets with an ocean view is similar, yet different than one gets with a balcony. The same applys to animal parks.

Archived