What Does GTY Mean?

TomMMD

Guarentee. It means that they will book you in a cabin at the level guarenteed, but that no specific cabin can be assigned at the time of booking. Essentially, you are locking in a cruise and a rate, but you will find out the cabin at a later time.

At least that's how I understand it.

Also, if by chance that level GTY is sold out they upgrade you to the next.

Dave:eek:

And if it's not sold out, you need to be prepared to be in the worst location for that category .... which is why I avoid Guarantees now. But to keep things in perspective, most people seem to be luckier than we were and often end up with an upgrade - or at least those are the ones reporting back :)

We had great luck. We had first booked/selected an inside room then sitched to a GTY outside for $150 less than our inside room ($75/person). We ended up with a Great room on an upper deck.

It's a dice roll and you have to ask yourself will a not so great room ruin your cruise.

We only sleep, shower, and change in our room so we were just fine with what ever we got as long as it was clean and had a comfortable bed.

The natural light was a bonus.

We only sleep, shower, and change in our room

I was down to two of those three ... showering and changing.:( Sleeping was 'hit and miss' depending on whether the ship was under way or not .... engine noise and vibration in our aft cabin had the same effect as being in a subway station. But that was on Zenith and soon she will be gone from the fleet. And I have no luck at gambling either ... I'm much better off with a sure thing :)

We has a CC booked for the May 6 Mercury and saw they had Suite Gty for less.Got a credit on my credit card and a Sky Suite on deck 12 with a large balcony.Back in 2002 booked a GTY 1a balcony (before cc)and was upgraded to a suite,but I had friends get a less desireable room going GTY so you never know....................Frank:confused:

Archived