June 30 trip on the PG

We just discoved that the 10 day trip we wanted to book on July 11 is full. We are considering the 11 day trip on the PG on June 30 instead. The thing that concerns me are the three sea days. I like the idea of relaxing for the 3 days but don't want to miss out on extra island days. I'm also a little concerned about the violent movement of the ship that I have read about on the boards. If we are out to sea for 3 days and the seas are rough, how will that affect our enjoyment of the cruise? Has anyone done the 11 day cruise before? Did you enjoy the sea days?

I have done the 2 week Marquesas cruise and it was fabulous. Perhaps we were lucky but we never had a problem with rough seas. I've been on other cruises and ships where the seas were REALLY rough but not on the PG. The sea days are great. It gives you an opportunity to sit back and relax and enjoy the ship. There are plenty of things to do on board, especially the enrichment lectures. When we book a cruise, we always look for one that has some sea days. Then it is truly a vacation rather than non-stop sightseeing.

Go for it.

Hi Anniversay Couple. I'm new to this format, just joined and will be delighted to share my experience with you. My sis and I were on the 11 day trip in June '05. We loved it, the sea days for us were wonderful as we also enjoy shipboard activity and it was also a time to kind of catch our breath. We had booked shore excursions on every island so it was a pretty busy schedule overall. The Regent complimentary day on Motu Mahana was totally wonderful. We were fortunate with the weather, didn't have any rough seas at all, was great and can't give it enough kudos. Our favorite islands were Bora Bora and Moorea, least favorite Rangiroa - not much there but very beautiful sailing in thru the channel.

Any other questions, will answer if I can

Thanks so much for all of your comments. Did any of you feel shortchanged because of one less day in Bora Bora and the loss of another port? I also enjoy a sea day now and then to relax, but with the great distance you travel to this area, I want to make sure that I see all I can. Did anyone go scuba diving? I know there's not much entertainment on this ship so what else did you do on sea days besides go to the lectures? Did you enjoy the food? Did you feel you needed a balcony to enjoy those quiet days at sea? Thanks for your responses. I was giving up hope of hearing from anyone that had gone on this trip in the past. Is this your first trip on the PG Chick Geek?

Didn't do any diving but in talking to people who did, they enjoyed it immensely. Re: entertainment - not as great as bigger ships but the Le Gauguines put on some very nice shows, even in L'Etoile (main restuarant). We were fortunate to have had Kenny Smiles, an outrageously funny and talented Welchman to entertain us. I think I read somewhere he is now on the Voyager. On sea days they also conducted classes in all sorts of Polynesian crafts, dancing etc. We felt the food was excellent, overall a good selection in all menu catagories. The breakfast & lunch buffets were very nicely done, or you could opt for the main dining room. Do you want a balcony? Absolutely!!! It wouldn't be the same trip without it, at least for me. We would come back tired from a shore excursion and it was so great to relax on the balcony with something cool to drink. And to walk out there and see those incredible sunrises and sunsets was fabulous. YES YES YES!!! Just remember, it's hot and humid there and you want all the fresh air you can get. Buy yourself a couple beautiful pareos and live in them.

I agree on the balcony but you may be out of luck. They go fast but you can waitlist if none are available. We were on our balcony every morning for in-suite coffee, every afternoon for cocktails and found it to be a great addition. You may want to consider a pre-cruise stay. We did not on our first PG cruise and got to the ship after dark, ran to the dining room and sailed away. For our next PG cruise in May, we are doing a 3 day pre-cruise on Moorea. That way we get to relax after the long flight, do some sightseeing on our favorite island and get to the ship with plenty of time to settle in. A post-cruise would be a horrible let-down from the fabulous food and service on the ship.We did not scuba but snorkeled a lot. It was great. Actually the water is so clear you can just wade around and look at the fish without a mask.

I also agree with the recommendation of a pre cruise. I know our flight arrived around 7:30 at night and we didn't make it to the hotel until after 9. I sure wouldn't want to have to board ship at that time with sail-away at 10 p.m. That's the kind of stress I just don't need. We stayed at the Intercontinental in Papeete and it was nice but knowing what I know now, I would much rather have stayed in Moorea. It's beautiful and peaceful there and just a short hop back to Papeete to board ship. I'm sure you will have a wonderful anniversary celebration. How many will it be?

A post-cruise would be a horrible let-down from the fabulous food and service on the ship.

I disagree! We spent a post cruise in an over water in June, 2005 after our PG cruise, and it was fabulous, and the food was as good or better than on the ship.

We are booked on the PG again on this cruise (June 30, 2006). We are doing one night pre-cruise, and three nights post cruise because of the way the days fall.

We are definitely looking forward to it. :)

Based on all of your wonderful comments, my husband booked us on this cruise yesterday. He said they were short on rooms, so we ended up with one with a picture window, midship. It's nice to meet a couple of people who will be on this ship. Are you from Texas, Texed? We plan on doing a precruise on Moorea, but haven't decided where yet. My dream is an OWB, but with coming in so late the first night and the great expense of an OWB, we may stay in a regular room the first night and an OWB the next night. Has anyone done it that way? I met someone on the boards early this year who used a great online travel agent to book air and hotel. I can't remember the name of the company but they specialize in the South Pacific. Any thoughts? To answer your question, we will be celebrating 27 years of marriage.

Based on all of your wonderful comments, my husband booked us on this cruise yesterday. It's nice to meet a couple of people who will be on this ship. Are you from Texas, Texed? We plan on doing a precruise on Moorea, but haven't decided where yet. My dream is an OWB, but with coming in so late the first night and the great expense of an OWB, we may stay in a regular room the first night and an OWB the next night.

It is very nice to "meet" you. There will be 2 couples (us and my sister and BIL).

Yes, we are from Houston, Texas and vacinity.

We are not allowed to post names on here, but if you are looking for a TA, you can e-mail us at: edgarnjacque (at) AOL .com. Of course you will use the symbol for at.

We will be staying one night pre-cruise in Papeete, and 3 days post in Bora Bora.

We have been to Tahiti twice prior to this cruise, so if we can be of any help, let us know. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Texed - We are booked and looking forward to a great trip. We were on the TP May 2006 and thoroughly enjoyed the trip as well as the ship. The Marquesas Islands intrigued us as well as the great reviews of the PG, so we decided to go with this itinerary. Have you been to Tahiti before?

Texed - We are booked and looking forward to a great trip. We were on the TP May 2006 and thoroughly enjoyed the trip as well as the ship. The Marquesas Islands intrigued us as well as the great reviews of the PG, so we decided to go with this itinerary. Have you been to Tahiti before?

Welcome to our roll call. I am hoping it will get a little more lively. I haven't heard from Anniversary couple for a while.

Yes, we have been to Tahiti twice before. Once on Renissance and once on PG. Obviously, we love it. :)

Post on every chance you get, and we can compare notes. :)

Archived