Best hotels near Port?

lucia1024

Hi

I will be going to AK in May 2007. I will be arriving the day before in Seattle. I would appreciate your suggestions on what hotels are closest to the ports. Is it better to stay in a hotel by the airport? I would love to visit downtown, but if it is too far for just a one day visit I guess I have to miss out. I wasn't planning on renting a car, but is that the best way to get around?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Absolutely go early and stay downtown -- even if it costs a few more bucks ($20-$200 more depending on your hotel)!

There's lots to do and see in Seattle, even in a few hours. Pike's Market, the Space Needle, shopping & museums, etc..

They're all within walking distance of the cruise terminal and the hotels. Maybe a bus or cab ride in the rain! AND a lot of public transportation is FREE in the core of downtown!

Besides, If you stay at the airport, you still need transportation to the cruise terminal which is downtown!

We stayed at the 5th Avenue Inn in downtown Seattle before our NCL cruise last August. It was a basic "motel" but was clean and quiet (in addition to inexpensive for downtown) and with a surprisely nice restaurant. It was located mid-way between the Space Needle and Pike's Place Market, about a 20 minute walk to each.

Seattle's hills almost made San Francisco look flat. DH doesn't have good knees so we mostly cabbed it. I did walk down to the pier in the morning for my first look at the ship befoe we checked out of the hotel.

There are two different cruise ship piers. NCL docks at the pier closest to Pike's Place Market, Pier 59 I believe, and the other pier is farther from the airport in a more industrial area, but you have to head downtown from the airport for either pier.

We found getting a cab at the airport to be a challenge and wish we had reserved a shuttle or limo. There was no organized cab line, just a lot of people milling about trying to get cabs. I was told it's normally like that late morning to mid afternoon on the weekend, due to all the cruise ships.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska. It's absolutely amazing!

I agree that you should stay downtown. Plenty of hotels to choose from and all a short cab ride away from the piers. There are also hotels near Seattle Center that are also convenient to the piers. We have 2 piers, Pier 66 and Pier 30. Pier 66 is in the main part of our waterfront and close to our downtown core, albiet uphill from the waterfront. Pier 30 is in a more industrial part of our town and is actually closer to the airport than Pier 66 but not by much.

Here's a link to our Port of Seattle website that should give you some idea of where the piers are located and also gives some other good general information.It will also give you some info on our airport if you click on the airport section. http://www.portofseattle.org/seaport/cruise

There's plenty to see in even a short period of time. I highly suggest you at least visit the Pike Place Market.

I hope your cruise and your time in Seattle!

Archived