Can anyone tell me about KW Nature Preserve? Marine Park?

rkmom

On a key west site, I found descriptions of a Key West Marine Park and a KW NAture Preserve, which were listed under "Activities for Children." But I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere else, and I can't find much info on them.

The Nature Preserve says 2 entrances on Atlantic Blvd., wooden walkways, trails, quiet strip of beach, lizards, birds.

Marine Park says " near shore areas cordoned off for safe swimming and snorkeling . . . can view coral, tropical fish and birds." It is listed from White St to Duval St.

Does anyone know anything about either of these? Are they just free beach areas? Any restroom facilities, fees, lifeguards, how is snorkeling, etc.

TIA for any info.

The nature walk on Atlantic Blvd is not worth the time trying to find it. The beach area is terrible for swimming due to shallow water and rocks. Also the walk is a popular squatting area for bums.

The Marine Park you are referring to is an area offshore great for snorkling and shallow diving. You can not swim to it from shore (not safely). You'll have to be on a boat with a raised dive flag.

Unfortunately, Key West is not suitable for good snorkling from the shoreline. The good areas are the nearby mangrove islands or the reefline. The reefline is about 6 miles offshore, accessible by boat. For good snorkling, I recommend this.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived