Bring Home Health Aide on Cruise?

Three Rings

I would love to know everyone's opinions and/or experiences with this idea. My DH has a home health aide. I am able to do what the aide does, but for me it's hard work. I would enjoy the cruise more if I didn't have to do those duties, because then I would really be ON VACATION. I want to enjoy the cruise as husband and wife, not as his caregiver.

So here's the question. What do you think of the idea of asking his aide to accompany us on the cruise? We could pay for his fare for an inside cabin, and he could find a companion to share with him (we can only afford to pay for him, not his companion. We live within driving distance of the port so airfare is not an issue). The "work" we would need him to do doesn't take very long...maybe 90 minutes in the morning and 60 minutes at night. The rest of the time would be his own to enjoy the cruise. We get along well, and might actually want to spend time together anyway.

Does the "free" cruise seem like compensation enough to not also pay his hourly rate?

Any HHA's out there, what would you say if one of your patients offered this? Has anyone done this before, either as patient or aide?

I took my Dad on a houseboat trip and took his caregiver along. He was paid his regular pay and did not incur any expenses on the trip. We paid by the week not by the hour so that may make a difference.

Please remember, even tho they do such vital work, they are really paid very little. What if you suddenly were asked to give up a week or more pay with no way to make it up by taking on other temporary work? Also, I didn't want to take the chance that I might lose him!!

Just my opinion.

MsRaye, do you mean your father's caregiver works for him fulltime, so you paid their weekly pay AND paid for their entire cruise?

How many hours a day does the caregiver work with your father, and do they have other patients too?

I didn't think of it as giving up a week's pay. My perspective was that they'd get a free cruise. I'm glad you gave me this other way of looking at it. Thanks.

You could save even more by booking an accessible cabin for 3. I go as my mother's PCA when we cruise (since her usual PCA cannot travel like this due to other jobs she has). There are limited accessible cabins that will take 3, and often the 3rd person is in a bunk or roll-away, but the fare is usually 1/2 of the full fare.

If you need assistance on shore excursions, then you should also cover this cost for your PCA. If not, they can be on their own for shore trips and just take care of your needs for AM and PM care if that is your usual routine.

I have gone in a separate cabin too, but we prefer for me to be with them as it makes it much easier for me to help my mother...otherwise I was running up and down the hall in by bathrobe at times!

I would also advocate for paying something in addition to the cruise. Many people who work as HHA or PCAs are living hand-to-mouth, and cannot afford to give up any of their usual pay as this is what pays their rent and puts food on the table for their family. Those expenses do not go away just because they go on a cruise with you.

I agree with you that taking a PCA is a good idea, as you will get a vacation too; however i disagree that the "cruise" is payment enough. Granted your husband's PCA only has to work a few hours a day, but those hours are not by the PCA's choice, so it's not really a vacation when you have to be on somebody elses schedule. For example, if the PCA wanted to stay out at night late and then sleep in (something you do on a typical vacation) then this wouldn't be possible as he would have to do your husband's morning and evening care.

Plus PCA's aren't really highly paid, and it may be difficult for him to find somebody to cruise with him (share the cabin); so I also agree with Splinter to look for a cabin that can accommodate 3. Now this may cut down on your privacy, so if you are looking for a romantic getaway, then it won't work; so in that case I think you should be willing to pay for the single supplement if your husbands PCA can't find somebody to cruise with.

Also, most PCAs work more than one job -- they have to as they can't survive on the few hours one client may offer -- so he will probably be giving up a week of other pay too. So I think he should be compensated fully for the hours he works while on "location" and his expenses (cruise fare, shore excursions, tips) should be taken care of by you.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Those folks I know who cruise with PCA's pretty much do it that way (pay wages and expenses); except in the case where it's a close family member providing "vacation PCA" duties.

But I think it's a good idea for *both* you and your husband to take a vacation; and the only way to really do that is with PCA help.

Candy

I agree with all of you who are saying "just" the cruise isn't payment enough. Unfortunately, we aren't in a position to pay everything that is being suggested. :(

Oh well, it was a nice fantasy :D that I would have someone to help. Thanks again to everyone for your input. :)

Hello! I am a home health aide who saves all the money I can to go on a cruise once a year. Luckily for me, I have a great boyfriend who pays for most of it though! If I had the opportunity to go on a cruise with a patient and only had to sacrifice a few hours a day, I would do it in a heartbeat! But I would want to have a private room. Don't give up your fantasy yet!

Have you asked your husband's PCA what he/she thinks about your ideas?

Maybe you could get some input or new ideas from doing this. Maybe the PCA has contacts with others who might be willing to help in exchange for a cruise?

I hope you do manage to work something out, so that you all enjoy a cruise. You deserve it.

Celle

janacruise: Where do you live? :D

celle: I haven't even mentioned this idea to my DH yet. I wanted to get some outside opinions and info first, because if this was really a bad idea I wouldn't even mention it to him. The cruise isn't till April 2008, so I have a lot of time to think it through. Who knows if we will even have the same aide by then? We've had a lot of problems with the agency, and although we really like the aide we have now, things can change a LOT in 16 months.

Three Rings

Another consideration is that your PCA may not be able to work for you except through the agency, and the agency would require payment for a trip such as this. Most agencies require their aides to sign an agreement that they will not work for any of theirr agency clients privately. You should clarify this with the agency.

Are you required to use an agency? Most people hire PCAs privately instead of through an agency. It is much less expensive, you (not the agency) then determine what they can and cannot do (and how and when), and wages and benefits (including perks such as travel) are completely negotiable.

Yes, Splinter is right...I have worked private duty and for an agency as well. I actually do both at the same time because the agency cannot always guarantee me the hours (different clients, of course). But all employees must sign an agreement not to work privately for a client and not to accept gifts of ANY type from a client. It dosn't matter if it is ten dollars or a cruise. My best advice would be to hire a private duty aide who isn't associated with an agency or atleast one that isn't your aide through the agency. Or you may even consider a friend or family member. BTW, I live in Ohio...and April 08 is far away but I don't think I have any plans yet! HeeHee...Good Luck! ;)

Archived