Hi! Many Alaska ???s from 1st time RCCL cruiser

Hi everyone,

I've cruised Disney a few times and loved it, but am looking to cruise Alaska in 2006 or 2007. I have a few questions about getting started if you could help me out! Thanks so much!

1. What is the best time of the summer to cruise Alaska? For wildlife spotting and weather?

2. When, approximately will rates become available for these dates? I know you can't book yet for summer '06. Just wondering what the usual release dates tend to be.

3. What is the cheapest route to book? Travel agent? Online through RCCL, etc....

4. We will have three teens approximately 14 to 17 depending on the year we go. Which is the best ship for this age group that cruises Alaska?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but I'll stop here before you're sick of me :o

Thanks again, so much!

CRB

August is a good time to go because of the salmon spawning, hopefully more bears and bald eagles to see. I would suggest a Travel Agent because they are usually cheaper over the cruise lines. I am partial to Royal Caribbean and the Radiance class ships. They have mini-golf, basketball, rock climbing, etc. to keep the kids busy. I'm not sure about when the dates for 2006-2007 will be out. If you decide to go in 2005 let me know, I am the group leader for the Serenade of the Seas sailing 08/07/05 out of Vancouver and we'd love to have you!

Misty

We went on Rhapsody of the Seas in 1999 and it was incredible! We went in June, saw tons of bald eagles and some saw a few bears. That was about it but the weather was wonderful. We didn't even need a jacket most of the time, except when we cruised up close to the glaciers. I mostly wore short sleeves while in ports and I'm cold natured. Very little rain to speak of. I'm sure any of the RCCL ships sailing there will be awesome. I would recommend an outside room for sure and if possible, a balcony. This was our first cruise, and with a group, so we didn't know much and had inside cabin. Will never do that again. Plus, the views while cruising the inside passage are so incredible, need the balcony!!

I've cruised Disney a few times and loved it, but am looking to cruise Alaska in 2006 or 2007. I have a few questions about getting started if you could help me out! Thanks so much!

1. What is the best time of the summer to cruise Alaska? For wildlife spotting and weather? The weather tends (notice I didn't say "is":rolleyes: ) to be less rainly early in the season.. but that is never a guarantee in Alaska which is actually a rainforest along the Inside Passage and subject to showers at any time.. that's why Wal-mart sells those disposable ponchos so cheap, I'm convinced of that. We have been 5 times in late May-early June and only had a rainy week once. We've seen whales, bear, eagles (around Ketchikan they look like snowballs in the trees).. salmon are not spawning then so if you want to see that you need to wait till about mid-late July.

2. When, approximately will rates become available for these dates? I know you can't book yet for summer '06. Just wondering what the usual release dates tend to be. It varies but Carnival, Royal Carib and Celeb are usually first followed by Princess and then HAL. Generally beginning in about March 05 you will see rates for 2006

3. What is the cheapest route to book? Travel agent? Online through RCCL, etc.... Signing up for some of the email newsletters offered by many travel agencies (a lot advertise here on CC) is a good way to get early notification of specials.. Most of these agencies (maybe all, I only use two) have "real" people that you speak to so it's not an online booking situation but some do have on-line links to check pricing.

4. We will have three teens approximately 14 to 17 depending on the year we go. Which is the best ship for this age group that cruises Alaska? It varies.. by going from Mid-June to Mid-August there will be more families.. unfortunately that is also "high" season when rates are more. There also tend to be more families on the roundtrip cruises from Seattle or Vancouver. IMHO Royal Caribbean or Princess is your best bet for families mid-season. Carnival would be but at least so far they have not sailed "roundtrip" through the summer.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but I'll stop here before you're sick of me :o Head on over to my Alaska Ports of Call message board -more info than you can digest and since you are planning for 2006 plenty of time to be digest it and get hopefully less instead of more confused!

i've been to alaska twice in july and loved it. as host caroline says weather in alaska is never a guarantee. however, when i went last july the weather was pretty good. in ketchikan it was actually downright hot and reached about 80 degrees. however, it sprinkled and drizzled a bit in juneau but wasn't that cold. the coldest day was when we were in glacier bay. the sun was shining and bright, but any time you get close the glaciers it'll be cold cold cold. the best advice is to dress in layers! clothes that are easy to layer on and easy to peel off. and both times we've gone in july we've seen tons of bald eagles, bears, lots and lots of humpback whales and also orcas as well. but as host caroline said july and august are popular months for families traveling due to kids being out of school.

also my other suggestion for alaska, especially for a first timer is go to glacier bay national park. if i am not mistaken on HAL and Princess has the rights to visit Glacier Bay. And i beleive that HAL goes to glacier bay almost twice as much as Princess. I am a fan of HAL and I'm only 24. the myth that HAL is only for old-timers is not true, certainly not during the summer months. however, if you are wary of HAL then try a Princess ship that goes to Glacier Bay. Marjerie glacier is the highlight of glacier bay but john's hopkins glaicer is spectacular as well as is the grand pacific glacier. also we spotted most of the humpback whales we saw on the trip at glacier bay. since glacier bay is a national park, a park ranger comes on board each ship that enters glacier bay (maximum of one cruise ship per day) and the ranger spends the whole day with the boat giving lectures and talking about the glaciers and the wildlife over the intercom system when you're up close at marjerie glacier. an experience not to be missed!

alaska is one of those places you could visit 20 times over and never get enough of!

Wow! Thanks for the great info.

I have to say, I've been doing a lot of research over the past few days (thanks for the tip to the Port board Host Caroline). I'm stunned and overwhelmed over how many different options there are to cruising Alaska. Finally figured out sometime yesterday what "cruisetour" meant:D

All I can say is I'm glad I'm looking way early!

I've been looking at RCCL because of the shipboard opportunities for teens. HAL doesn't seem to be as active. But now I'm been looking at a cruisetour and only RCL Vision does them. I heard that Radiance is really the way to go for the teens (Is this true?)

Thanks for the info on the HAL trips. My kids are very interested in this kind of thing and would love to listen to the Park Ranger.

I'll keep researching and maybe the ships will change by the time the rates come out.

My head's swimming with info and we're looking two years from now!:eek:

The Radiance Class ships (Radiance and Serenade) have alot more to offer than the Vision does. You will find a Basketball court, mini-golf, a movie theater, the rock wall, and I believe a teen disco onboard. When the ships go to see Hubbard Glacier they have speakers also, who talk about the native people that live around the area and about the glaciers themselves. There were a bunch of teenagers when we went on the Radiance last summer to Alaska and they all looked like they were having a great time.

Misty

Just got back from Alaska on Radiance of the Seas. My son was 12 when we sailed, he turned 13 today. My daughter is 15. They loved every minute of it. The Youth program is wonderful. This was our first cruise and I started reasearching a year in advance and am I ever glad that I did. There were 200 children on board in my children's age groups (12-14) and (15-17). 12 was the youngest you could be and still hang out at Optics (the teen center). We hope to do it again in 2006.

Jodie

Hi RM!! Nice to see you here!

Even though it's a year off, I'll be looking for a report!

Alaska looks awesome doesn't it?!!! So many options! My mind is churning with all the info.

Thinking about making this a graduation present for DD and DSS. (I guess my younger son will be tagging along too, lucky kid :D

Looking forward to hearing about the planning of your trip! :)

Thanks Misty but we're sailing on the 8/21/05. I did see your group cruise and checked out the rates but sailing on the 21st is much better for us timing wise.

CRB, I can't wait to go to Alaska either!! Some of the pics I have seen have been amazing!! I don't know if you've been there yet but there is an Alaska board here under the Ports of Call forum. I've already picked up a great tip there!

Definitely this trip will be a nice grad trip!!

Hey - another DISer checking in here who's going to Alaska next August. Small world, huh? (pun intended) :)

We'll be on Vision southbound from Seward to Vancouver. Doing the cruisetour (now that you know what that means CRB ;)) with a 5 day land package before the cruise.

BTW, RCCL is not the only cruise line that does cruisetours. Princess invented the whole concept - glass-domed trains and all. HAL also offers cruisetours.

We did a cruisetour and cruise on Summit last year. Started in Fairbanks down to anchorage and picked up Summit in Steward to Vancouver. In Alaska, the cruisetours are booked as Royal/Celebrity tours and used by both lines. While, we had a great time...............the next time we cruise Alaska(dont flame me) we will definitely do Princess(I am not a fan of that cruise line ...at all). While RCI and Celebrity, which we cruise often( have my next 4 cruises booked on these two lines), they are not a major presence in Alaska..........Princess owns the beatiful hotels in the best locations, have the rights to Glacier Bay and College Fjiords that RCI and Celebrity does not have rights to amd the list of things goes on from there. In the caribbean, where what ship you are on plays a major fact for the teens and children, in Alaska, you will be in the ports, etc, cruising the passage, bays etc so choose on itinerary not on the Rock climbing wall, etc as your children may not even have time to use them you will be so busy.

Hi RM! I've been over to the Ports of call board a few times. I'm sure as planning gets more intense, I'll be over there a lot. I'm way too compulsive :D

Hi Aprille! Good advice on the other ships. I'm looking for a cruisetour and it looks like Princess really has the one I want. I'm just going to compromise a bit on the ship. Oh well.

The Island Princess looks very nice and the land portion is truly the best I've seen for my personal preference, plus the ship goes to Glacier Bay, which is really a big seller for me.. The room set up may not be exactly what I want, so I'm still not sure. Tough to come by connecting rooms and we have a blended family. Still a few years out so we'll see.

When we started thinking Alaska all we heard was Princess!

I did some research on cruisetours and found out the deal breaker for me.

Princess and Royal Caribbean both have dome rail cars BUT Princess' observation (top glass part) is NOT accessible for wheelchairs!! RCI is the only line that is 100% wheelchair accessible. If I am paying as much as everyone else I want the same experience.

So now we booked a 13 night cruisetour with RCI in Jun 2005. We booked as soon as it became available to get exactly what we wanted!

Sherry

The Round Trip sailings from Vancouver offer before or after tours to Whistler or other parts of Canada. I was thinking about doing the Whistler tour but thought against it, I figured that would give us an excuse to go back and do it on our own!!

Misty

Archived