Any success using car seats in a St. Martin/Thomas taxi?

Perpetua

We are going on the Disney Magic on 1/20 (Eastern) and we have a 4 and an 18 month old. We have seats for both of them on the plane and the toddler will be in her car seat. We are packing a booster seat for my older daughter. The excursions that Disney provides in St. Martin and St. Thomas use Open Air Taxis (flat bed trucks with bench seating). I would prefer to find take a taxi...but will we find one with seat belts for the car seats? Any positive stories? We are desperate and thinking that we may have to hire a car service (very expensive).

Thanks,

Amy

What excursions? When we were on Disney in St.Martin and Thomas my kids were 7 months and 4. The excursions we took were all air conditioned buses or enclosed shuttle vans. And the buses did not allow car seats (I tried.)

We did the "Orient Beach" Excursion and "Coral World". We have been on the "Under the 2 Flags" tour...it was a big bus.

I just REALLY don't trust those taxis in those areas. Sorry but they drive like maniacs and most of them are all busted up...evidence that they drive likes maniacs. :eek:

We were able to use our carseat (Sit N Stroll) in a taxi in St. Thomas as well as all of the other islands we visited in the Southern Caribbean (even Curacao, which surprised me). Prior to our last trip there in 2002, I had emailed the St. Thomas tourist bureau to inquire about seatbelts (for carseats), and they assured me that I should have no problems. In some of the vehicles on those islands, we had to dig down into the back of the seat to FIND the seat belts, but they were there. The vehicle/van we had in St. Thomas was actually quite new, and the driver was very appropriate and safety-conscious. Hope you have a great cruise!

Wow! Thanks for the replies! We were looking at the Magens Bay Beach Break "...Hit St. Thomas' premier beach! Delight in a scenic 25-minute open-air safari taxi drive..." and the "French Riviera Beach Rendezvous" to Orient Beach (which I found out uses a bus).

I would really love to just go to Sapphire Beach and Little Divi Beach for a couple hours in the morning (before naps)...so taking a taxi would work best for us! The private transportation quotes for our family of 4 is $120 and $140.00 for transporation to and from the beach (this is the discounted price for the kids). This is quite steep!

I can highly recommend Sapphire Beach. It's absolutely gorgeous. When our taxi van topped the hill at the resort's driveway, everyone in the van gasped at the sight of the beautiful blue water behind the resort's red roofs. Absolutely magnificent! I've heard that Megan's Bay gets quite crowded, while there were very few people at Sapphire Beach.

BTW, you are probably aware but just in case, I thought I'd mention that portions of Orient Beach are clothing optional, if that matters. :)

Archived