$$$CELL PHONES are a GO on ALL PRINCESS SHIPS Sarting TODAY, WOW!$$$

JotWorld

ok, so we'll just chat neighbourhood chat on a cell phone...... DS lives on Huron just south of Bloor. Yorkville was and is quite the spot. Sorry for the local chat, but Canada is sooo big, we go days without seeing people, and just love the social interaction when we stumble across it, besides this town is so small there is a chance we're related.

I would rather my DH bring a cell phone on a cruise, and wouldn't mind him doing business all day...... I would still enjoy my cruise, and enjoy the time he could spend in between business, I don't need to be with him 24/7 on a cruise...... I think the problem lies not in the cell phone use, but the user. Loud mouth people whether they are on a phone or not is annoying, plain and simple. Smart business people take their business to a private area to talk. "Loud mouths" perform for the general population.

Just stepped off the Dawn on tuesday (:mad: wish I was still there) and I just had to respond to this thread.There was some moron on his sat phone seemingly all 11 days...everytime I saw him...holding his phone near the computer to download stuff,walking around the Promanade talking...yak,yak,yak.Everywhere on the ship...constantly talking away.Obviously a very important person....:rolleyes:

I'm sitting there thinking to myself..."how in the hell can this be an enjoyable vacation?"I'm not a bold person but I have done some pretty "ballsy" stuff in my time.I had half a notion to walk up to him and ask him why he chose crusing for his vacation...when he hadn't a clue as to what true relaxation was all about.

His actions weren't annoying...I just felt sorry for the man.

Flame away if you must but I just can't see the point of talking on the phone when you're on vacation.If you can't remove yourself from this habit even for just a little bit,you're either working too hard or you haven't learned how to relax...

CFL

Obviously a very important person........probably a legend in his own mind.

I can and I don't have to play G*d to do it.

I'll do what we do with the loud talker in our office. When the conversation gets too loud and intrusive......we start to repeat:

Balb.....Blab.....Blab....Yak.....Yak.....Yak......Balb......Blab.....Blab....Yak....Yak......

..........and keep going until they get the point.....;)

We have a guy at the office who insists on taking personal calls on the speakerphone. For YEARS. He's a great guy, so we've learned everything about his three daughters, wife, the works.

You seem bent on antagonizing people. Learn to ignore them and life will be MUCH simpler...

Just stepped off the Dawn on tuesday (:mad: wish I was still there) and I just had to respond to this thread.There was some moron on his sat phone seemingly all 11 days...everytime I saw him...holding his phone near the computer to download stuff,walking around the Promanade talking...yak,yak,yak.Everywhere on the ship...constantly talking away.Obviously a very important person....:rolleyes:

I'm sitting there thinking to myself..."how in the hell can this be an enjoyable vacation?"I'm not a bold person but I have done some pretty "ballsy" stuff in my time.I had half a notion to walk up to him and ask him why he chose crusing for his vacation...when he hadn't a clue as to what true relaxation was all about.

His actions weren't annoying...I just felt sorry for the man.

Flame away if you must but I just can't see the point of talking on the phone when you're on vacation.If you can't remove yourself from this habit even for just a little bit,you're either working too hard or you haven't learned how to relax...

CFL

Reminds me of when my hubby was performing guitar in a coffee house about a month or so ago during the day. Some guy was yaking away on his cell phone just about the whole time. I gleamed from his conversations that his car was in the shop across the street. He called one of his employees and said, "I'm giving you a raise." He also was calling this person and that person, ordering stuff, etc. I just wonder why this guy just didn't rent a car for the afternoon and return to his office.

There are a million stories about rude people on cell phones. The fact remains that this is a bad decission by Princess. They invite even more rudness by people that only think of themselves. What was wrong with using the phone in your stateroom if you needed to make a call?

Jay

There are a million stories about rude people on cell phones. The fact remains that this is a bad decission by Princess. They invite even more rudness by people that only think of themselves. What was wrong with using the phone in your stateroom if you needed to make a call?

Jay

The irony in this message is textbook.

Did it ever occur to you that those who are offended by "rudeness" are really only "thinking of themselves" and their own happiness?

"Rude" as a concept differs by country, region & time & society. It's now considered rude to burp after a meal...in most places. Didn't used to be.

Still isn't, depending on where you are.

Hat wearing...is it the covering of the head that's offensive? Maybe that's why people whose religions dictate head coverage feel belittled?

Cell phone talking...ruder than talking in person? Why? There are still two parties involved...one just couldn't make it to the same venue.

'Rude' is one of the most overused & poorly applied words, since what it's really saying is: I don't like what you are doing. And that carries the subtext that "I" am more important that "you", and my wishes should carry the day.

So...considering someone rude...is in itself...rude. :rolleyes:

ok, so we'll just chat neighbourhood chat on a cell phone...... DS lives on Huron just south of Bloor. Yorkville was and is quite the spot. Sorry for the local chat, but Canada is sooo big, we go days without seeing people, and just love the social interaction when we stumble across it, besides this town is so small there is a chance we're related.

I would rather my DH bring a cell phone on a cruise, and wouldn't mind him doing business all day...... I would still enjoy my cruise, and enjoy the time he could spend in between business, I don't need to be with him 24/7 on a cruise...... I think the problem lies not in the cell phone use, but the user. Loud mouth people whether they are on a phone or not is annoying, plain and simple. Smart business people take their business to a private area to talk. "Loud mouths" perform for the general population.

:) ;) :) Hey Cuz! ;)

Obviously a very important person........probably a legend in his own mind.

You know...the last time I had the impression that someone was trying to 'put on airs' by talking on a cell phone, was in the 1980's.

Cellphones are ubiquitous, and the idea of having one is not a display of wealth, or importance.

But WE don't know what the factors involved in this person's life are, how conflicted they might have been about taking the cruise, if something serious had happened within days of boarding...whether they are responsible for other peoples' well-being.

There are lots of reasons someone might need to take a call (I'm assuming that we're only talking about them being on incoming calls....I think most people would prefer to initiate their calls somewhere quiet/private), and who are we to judge?

Oh yeah....we're CC members.... judging is what we do! :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Jay

It's neither a good or bad decision, just an inevitable one. I think Princess and the rest of the CCL lines are doing the best they can to satisfy everyone by providing cell service on a very limited basis. It doesn't matter a bit to me if someone uses the in-cabin phone or a cell phone to make calls. Truly rude people find a way to be a rude whether they can use their phones or not.

The irony in this message is textbook.

Did it ever occur to you that those who are offended by "rudeness" are really only "thinking of themselves" and their own happiness?

"Rude" as a concept differs by country, region & time & society. It's now considered rude to burp after a meal...in most places. Didn't used to be.

Still isn't, depending on where you are.

Hat wearing...is it the covering of the head that's offensive? Maybe that's why people whose religions dictate head coverage feel belittled?

Cell phone talking...ruder than talking in person? Why? There are still two parties involved...one just couldn't make it to the same venue.

'Rude' is one of the most overused & poorly applied words, since what it's really saying is: I don't like what you are doing. And that carries the subtext that "I" am more important that "you", and my wishes should carry the day.

So...considering someone rude...is in itself...rude. :rolleyes:

Just too funny

Let's see; the cruise lines have created an atmosphere where noro virus flourishes, suicides are rampant, murders and sexual assaults occur too often and now cell phone boors have won their day. The more the cruise experience is like the every day urban setting the less civilized people will use them for a vacation. A sad, sad, day indeed.

You know...the last time I had the impression that someone was trying to 'put on airs' by talking on a cell phone, was in the 1980's.

Cellphones are ubiquitous, and the idea of having one is not a display of wealth, or importance.

But WE don't know what the factors involved in this person's life are, how conflicted they might have been about taking the cruise, if something serious had happened within days of boarding...whether they are responsible for other peoples' well-being.

There are lots of reasons someone might need to take a call (I'm assuming that we're only talking about them being on incoming calls....I think most people would prefer to initiate their calls somewhere quiet/private), and who are we to judge?

Oh yeah....we're CC members.... judging is what we do! :eek: :rolleyes: :)

The poster said nothing about the "airs" of owning a phone.....they stated:

There was some moron on his sat phone seemingly all 11 days...everytime I saw him...holding his phone near the computer to download stuff,walking around the Promanade talking...yak,yak,yak.Everywhere on the ship...constantly talking away.Obviously a very important person....:rolleyes:

......the point was that some people think they are so important.....they won't shut up.....;)

The poster said nothing about the "airs" of owning a phone.....they stated:

There was some moron on his sat phone seemingly all 11 days...everytime I saw him...holding his phone near the computer to download stuff,walking around the Promanade talking...yak,yak,yak.Everywhere on the ship...constantly talking away.Obviously a very important person....:rolleyes:

......the point was that some people think they are so important.....they won't shut up.....;)

MAYBE, people who depended on him to make executive decisions, kept calling?

The point is that the OP implied that this 'moron' thought a lot of himself...where he might have just been putting out fires, to save other people grief.

Bah....I'm pretty sure you're toying with me...so I'm gonna chill...

Let's see; the cruise lines have created an atmosphere where noro virus flourishes, suicides are rampant, murders and sexual assaults occur too often and now cell phone boors have won their day. The more the cruise experience is like the every day urban setting the less civilized people will use them for a vacation. A sad, sad, day indeed.
I think it's a sad, sad day that you actually believe the media hype. Did you see or hear the news reports that there is a serious outbreak of the norovirus in New Hampshire and Massachusetts right now? Enough to close a nursing home and several school systems, with no cruise ship in sight. The norovirus is a very common intestinal virus that happens more often in schools than on cruise ships. I had no idea suicides were rampant! Which ships and how many per cruise? Sexual assaults? Often? I've seen so-called exposes of sexual assaults but the passengers admitted going into crew quarters against everything they're told. Some assults occur but I wouldn't say it happens often. When people do stupid things, such as going into crew quarters or getting drunk and sitting on a railing, "stuff" happens. Somehow, it becomes the cruiseline's fault in the media's eyes.

Yes, when you have almost 5,000 people in a very small, confined area, you sometimes see human nature at its worst. Heck, go to a land-based vacation in Jamaica and you'll see the same things. I wouldn't blame it on an urban setting.

I travel often with one or more of my grandchildren. This gives them an opportunity to call their parents when they start missing them or just to tell them about the exciting things they are doing. I remember one time my granddaughter called her mother to tell her about our excursion to the beach in Aruba, only to hear about the blizzard we were having in CT. That made us appreciate our cruise even more!

I travel often with one or more of my grandchildren. This gives them an opportunity to call their parents when they start missing them or just to tell them about the exciting things they are doing. I remember one time my granddaughter called her mother to tell her about our excursion to the beach in Aruba, only to hear about the blizzard we were having in CT. That made us appreciate our cruise even more!

I agree. The ability to use a cell-phone anytime on a ship is a great luxury. Last year when I was cruising, a member of my family was ill and it was so difficult to go so many days without knowing how she was feeling. It's nice to call home, even if for five minutes, to check-in and see how everything is going.

I do think, however, they should be used only in cabins or on balconies (if they don't have service in a cabin, maybe a "cell phone lounge" would come in handy.)

It's a step in the right direction, in my humble opinion.

I agree. The ability to use a cell-phone anytime on a ship is a great luxury. Last year when I was cruising, a member of my family was ill and it was so difficult to go so many days without knowing how she was feeling. It's nice to call home, even if for five minutes, to check-in and see how everything is going.

I do think, however, they should be used only in cabins or on balconies (if they don't have service in a cabin, maybe a "cell phone lounge" would come in handy.)

It's a step in the right direction, in my humble opinion.

Every stateroom has a phone exactly for that reason. No need for cell phones. Four years ago while in the middle of the caribbean, my father in Law died and we were contacted by phone. We made several calls "from our cabin" using the ships phone.

Jay:D

I can't help myself--I know I will regret typing this. I have noticed that now when many kids go to summer camp, weekend school sponsored trips, etc. that they have cell phones in tow. I think all this does is promote kids dependence on mom and dad. I think kids need to learn how to deal with stuff independnetly--even if that just means not sharing their expereinces for a week till they get back from the cruise. If there is an emergency, then the parents can contact the kids or vice versa via the phone in the cabin. Having a cell phone to tell mom and dad that they went on a zip line excursion is among the worst justificcations I can think of for allowing cell phones on cruise ships. I know, I know--I should have never typed this.

Don't feel bad, Stephenandrew. I was raised in the time of "children should be seen and not heard", and I am mystified at the current culture of encouraging children to talk non-stop about anything and everything (not that theodoru was necessarily implying that). Kids need to spend a good many years simply listening and learning before they have much of anything worthwhile to say.

If a child took a couple of minutes to say hello to mom and dad on the phone, that's cute. If I was trying to relax next to a child who was regaling their parents with their entire day's activities via the phone---that would be torture.

Jape

Every stateroom has a phone exactly for that reason. No need for cell phones. Four years ago while in the middle of the caribbean, my father in Law died and we were contacted by phone. We made several calls "from our cabin" using the ships phone.

Jay:D

There is a need for cell phones when they charge an astronomical fee to call home from the room phones.

Cell phones are easier because others know just how to contact you, and CHEAPER! Even with the roaming fee.:D

I think all this does is promote kids dependence on mom and dad. I think kids need to learn how to deal with stuff independnetly--

Sorry, I have to beg to differ on that point. My daughters both have cell phones...and my oldest is about the LEAST dependent child I know. She has it so I can keep track of HER. Not the other way around.

On the "phone in the room" comment. I make a very sizeable income. HOWEVER, I do NOT want to spend $10 a minute talking on the ships phone. (or whatever astronomical price it is) I dont make my money to WASTE it on overpriced ship options. What someone does in thier own cabin is THIER business...not anyone else's on the ship. The comments on someone's cell phone waking a passenger ,in the next room, up at night make me laugh. If that is ALL you have to worry about hearing in your cabin at 3am due to thin walls, ya'll need to get a little more. Lighten up and have fun on vacation...and quit trying to be so controlling and cynical...it may make EVERYONE around YOU on vacation have a better time too.

Kristie

I can't help myself--I know I will regret typing this. I have noticed that now when many kids go to summer camp, weekend school sponsored trips, etc. that they have cell phones in tow. I think all this does is promote kids dependence on mom and dad. I think kids need to learn how to deal with stuff independnetly--even if that just means not sharing their expereinces for a week till they get back from the cruise. If there is an emergency, then the parents can contact the kids or vice versa via the phone in the cabin. Having a cell phone to tell mom and dad that they went on a zip line excursion is among the worst justificcations I can think of for allowing cell phones on cruise ships. I know, I know--I should have never typed this.

You said it much better than I ever could. Thanks for posting.

Archived