Norovirus questions

Florida1947

We are looking forward to our cruise on Costa Magica leaving Dec. 17th out of Port Everglades. Do any experienced cruising enthusiasts have any recommendations on avoiding the norovirus other than lots of hand washing?

Here are links to recent articles from the Sun-Sentinel, the Fort Lauderdale paper:

Norovirus == Want to avoid cruise sickness? Wash your hands ... again and again and again

Posted December 12, 2006

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-rxcruise12dec12,0,5752605.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Two cruises return to S. Florida with at least 200 sickened, possibly by norovirus

Posted December 11 2006

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-ccruise11dec11,0,529227.story

For the third time in two months Sunday, luxury cruise ships sailed into South Florida ports bearing sick passengers.

We always take clorox wipes. We wipe down everything in the cabin, remote, phone, fausets, door handles, anything your hand might touch. It only takes a little time and it can really make a difference. You just don't know what the people in the cabin the week before might have left in the way of germs. Ph

We always take clorox wipes. We wipe down everything in the cabin, remote, phone, fausets, door handles, anything your hand might touch. It only takes a little time and it can really make a difference. You just don't know what the people in the cabin the week before might have left in the way of germs. Ph

Thanks for the reply and good idea. I had hope the cruise line would clean and sanitize the room since there have been so many norovirus problems on other ships but, I agree, the Clorox wipes for the cabin are the way to go. I was also thinking of bringing along some Germ-X or Purell antibacterial sanitizer hand and face wipes that we can carry in our pockets, if we can find them in the drug store. I don’t want to act like the “Monk” TV character and be germophobic, but I don’t want to spend the entire cruise in the bathroom washing my hands either.:confused: Anyway, thanks again.

I don't care for buffets so it is not hard for me to avoid them, but I think that is another way.

I don't know if I have the will power to do that since I like buffets but it is a good idea, especially if there is a breakout, but I suppose they would close the buffet if that happened. Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if I have the will power to do that since I like buffets but it is a good idea, especially if there is a breakout, but I suppose they would close the buffet if that happened. Thanks for the reply.

I look at it this way - I am on a cruise - I want to be waited on and pampered - if I want a buffet I can go to sizzler's salad bar. I live in the buffet capital of the US - go to perhaps one a year. (Las Vegas)

We noticed that on the Caribbean Princess, hand sanitizer dispensers were present at the entrances to the buffet area; however on both of the Carnival cruises we've taken we saw no such dispensers. Anybody know about Costa?

One wonders why CCL would not have a consistent policy for all of their brands, across the board? (Are they afraid that the average Carnival cruise guest might mistake the Purell dispenser for another buffet station?? Mmmmm...free alcohol!!! :p ).

We were on the Mediterranea transatlantic and had the virus. We must have had it when we got on the ship in Savona though but did not know it. We stayed in the room for three days to avoid getting anyone else sick. The dr. came to the cabin and gave us shots and meds.

To avoid it, you must just do the handwashing and be prudent. Hand sanitizers are anti-bacterial and do not kill viruses. The handles on the spoons on the buffet lines are a germ carnival. Use a napkin and toss it if you go to them.

Touching rails, anything really and then touching your nose or eyes or mouth will spread it. Just try your best and have fun. To my knowledge no one else got sick on our ship. I am very glad. I would have felt so bad to ruin anyone's vacation. There were lots of sick people in Italy, and we were careful, but obviously, not careful enough......

Our room was sanitized daily. They worked very hard (and so did we).

>>>Hand sanitizers are anti-bacterial and do not kill viruses. The handles on the spoons on the buffet lines are a germ carnival. Use a napkin and toss it if you go to them.<<<

That's a good point about the hand sanitizers I had overlooked. And using the napkin on the spoons is a great idea too. Thanks.

I heard a good tip on 20/20 one night about avoiding illness on trips away that have you in hotels (which would include cruise ships)--bring an aerosol can of Lysol and spray the beds, pillows and surfaces in the whole room. Might actually help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

FINAL REPORT - Thanks to all who offered excellent suggestions. I am happy to report we cruised happily on the Costa Magica without any medical problems. We washed our hands a lot and used hand sanitizer but with usual numbers of coughing passengers and sneezing crew and the close contact, if a virus gets started it would be hard to avoid its spread. We were lucky and believe the crew worked hard to keep the ship clean and everyone healthy. We are looking forward to our next curise....

Archived