First time cruisers just back from the Star!

mexico5

Sumps,

As first time cruisers we were not sure what was normal or not in our embarkation and disembarkation, but I will tell you what happened.

Embarkation: We had a hotel/ship transfer so we waited at the hotel from 1:00 to at least 2:00 to get picked up(other cruisers there were complaining that it was very disorganized) and then driven to the pier. We then stood in line and when through the gate we were all placed in a room and then called by row to go through to another room. Once again, others were complaining, but we were fine, talking to the fellow Canadians beside us who were also fine! So I think we finally got to our room about 3:30 or 4:00 so it was rather late. In my opinion, I would rather get down there early and stand in line longer, just to get on the ship a couple of hours earlier.

Disembarkation: We were the second last group off since we had no flights to catch that day. Did not take long at all, maybe the wait to get off the ship was 2 hours?

Midnightrain,

Hi fellow Calgarian! We actually saw 2 weddings while on board, they were very lovely.

We were at Dunn's River Falls for almost an hour, but we certainly did not climb them all, just frolicked in the water and climbed some. Saw a horrifying sight. A man Carrying his small child in one hand and holding another child by the hand while climbing on the rocks, just horrible, shame on him!

I think you guys will love the ship!

Rigs,

Hi, I know about the freestyle cruising on NCL. We were actually deciding between the 2 and chose Princess because we did not like the "Austin Powers" colors all over the NCL, unless not all of their ships are like that, but we saw pics and these bright colors were everywhere! We wanted the ship to look more traditional and were happy with our choice.

Some sail for the food, some sail for the colors LOL!

Thank you for your reply,

We are looking forward to it. Never been on a cruise, so it will be lots of fun!!

I saw on your post that you flew direct with WestJet, I was hoping to have done that. We have to go to Toronto on red eye flight and transfer, then down to Florida. On the way back we transfer through Dallas.

Hello Everybody,

My wife and I were on the same Nov 25th - Dec 2nd Star Princess Cruise as Mexico5..the only difference is that we stayed a week longer in Florida to see all the xmas decorations at Disney World. Mexico5 hit the nail on the head with that review, I don't have much more to add other then having had a really great time. We had PC dinning but we were given the same table at the same time with the same waitress everynight in the Capri Dinning room with Anna Maria as our waitress..she was great, very professional and always ready to recommend something or warn you to stay away from somethings on the menu. We ate one night in Sabattini's. It was a three hour ordeal and i did not think we would ever get through the meal. The Only tour we took was the Jerk Spice Factory and Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. I really wanted to do the falls as I had done them 20 years ago when I worked for Home Lines Cruises. As far as cabin, we had Baja 619..room as a tade small, but the balcony is covered and nobody is looking down on you..not that we do anything shamefull while outside. As for the shows, I love going to all of them, wifey tends to fall asleep..The comic was not that great and i don't remeber his name..but I am sure he is gone already.

In Jamaica, we docked at the James Bond Peier..a real hole in the wall with nothing right there..a short walk to the main peier where the shops are..

Sorry for rushed job, but have not been at work for over two weeks and the piles have gotten really big.

I would love to answer any questions..

One last note - NO smell on any side of the ship!!!

Later

SURPRISES: People told us that once you are on a ship you don't feel a thing and you think you are at a hotel. WRONG! We totally felt movement and we always knew we were on a ship. Perhaps it was a rocky cruise, we do not know what is normal.

Great review. I love reading reviews from first time cruisers. It takes me back and reminds me of the reasons why we got hooked on cruising.

Personally, the gentle movement that comes with cruising is one of the reasons it is so relaxing. When the ship first starts to pull away from the dock, I always get a little rush of excitement followed a total feeling of relaxation bordering on euphoria. At night, the rocking puts right to sleep.

Gentle rocking shouldn't be confused with seas so rough that you're bouncing off the walls trying to walk down the hallways. That's no fun. When they have B-bags placed outside the elevators, you know you're in for a long day.:)

Midnight,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and marrige. It is a great way to spend your honeymoon.

We spent our honeymoon on the Grand in 4/04 on the western CB, Princess Cays, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel. We had a wonderful time.

I was surprised on how well we slept with the gentle rocking and our cabin was SO peaceful and quiet, another surprise! The only night the movement was just awful was the very last night and we both agreed that if it had been like that the whole cruise it probably would have been our last cruise for sure. Perhaps someone can comment on the last night, Dec.8 because I know others were really talking about it on the ship and we did feel quite wobbly! In fact, a couple of times during the night I got my husband to step out to the balcony and make sure we were not tipping over! But luckily, it was only one night.

Several other posts have mentioned the unusually high waves that particular night; including Spongerob's onboard post and review. I believe it was 12 foot predicted, don't know what was actual, but you sailed through a fairly strong weather system on your return to Galveston. Its not typical, but is the sort of thing experienced in stormy weather.

Anyone out there on the same cruise as us? It was the Star that left Ft. Lauderdale Dec. 2. We are very curious to know if the rocky motion was considered normal or not, since we have never cruised before. I think Spongerob was on a different one.

Thanks

Archived