Need some tips regarding Hawaii Beaches

Amor de Madre

My Family and I will be on the Summit in about 1 1/2 weeks and being from Calgary, Canada and dealing the last few weeks with single digits temperatures (in ºF) we really want to spend sometime in the Hawaii Beaches.

Because we are cruising and not staying at a resort we are concern that they may be problems to access restrooms, rent chairs and umbrellas (at the beach).

We're planning to go to Ka'anapali Beach in Lahaina Maui. I undestand that this beach is surrounded by resorts, so in this case what type of access to restrooms and chair and umbrellas retals are available (if any)? I know that resorts don't provide this facilities to people not staying with them.

Same question regarding Waikiki?.

Any recommendation regarding beaches for Kona in the big island?

Thanks in advance for the help .

Regards,

Frank

Our experience on both islands is that there are stands (separate from the hotel facilities) where you can rent chairs, umbrellas and water equipment. That was several years ago so I can't be certain that the current situation is the same. There are some public rest room facilities but not many. Beaches are open to anyone, are clean and wide, but the surf can be rough in winter so be careful (especially on the north shores)

You will love Kaanapali although it is not in Lahaina. Go to the end near the Sheraton at the black rock. The snorkeling there is amazing. I do not remember restrooms, though the Whaler shopping complex nearby may have some. If you have a car, there is a public beachpark a little north named Kahala--where the 4 Seasons and other exclusive resorts are. There is a beach there with restrooms. We preferred this are to east with

Wailea and Kihei.

Kona has a beautiful beach called A-Bay(Anniehumala sp?) It has facilities. If you want to swim with huge sea turtles, go to Ka'apalaula(sp?) It has facilities, too as well as food and snorkel rentals. A third awesome snorkel spot is Hononau or the place of refuge a little farther south of Kailua-Kona.

Waikiki has many beachparks with facilities. A favorite of ours is Lanikai. Don't waste your time on Hanamau Bay, the fish are scarce and the reefs are dead.

Have a great time--I'm soooo jealous!

I can't speak for the other islands, as we have visited them only once or twice. But as far as Maui and Kaanapali are concerned, well, that's our turf.

As a previous poster said, Kaanapali, which is about 5 miles from where the ship anchors off Lahaina, is a great beach, especially at the Sheraton. This is kind of sneaky, but the restrooms near the kiddie pool (far end of the property) are pretty accessible to anyone who walks up. I guess you could saunter through the little beach bar, just to make it look like you belong. But because we walk by there every day when we're there, I know you can just slip in.

About 1000 feet south of the Sheraton (toward Lahaina) is Whaler's Village, which is also on Kaanapali Beach. Locals call it Dig Me Beach, but it's the same piece of sand. There are lots of restrooms, public and in the various restaurants (Leilani's, Hula Grill, Rusty Harpoon). And of course, the hotels there (Westin, Marriott, Hyatt) have lots of restrooms too. At that point the grass above the beach has a few trees, so you might grab some shade there, if that's what you want. Can't speak for umbrella rentals.

On the other side of Black Rock, which is the big promontory the Sheraton is on, there is more beach, equally nice. It is also called Kaanapali, but locals call it North Beach or Airport Beach--cause there used to be a little airport there. The hotel nearby is the Royal Lahaina, and again, there are restrooms near the pool that you can pretty much walk into.

If you want to be a law-abider, there is a public park with restrooms about 1000 feet past the Royal Lahaina. It's called Kahekili Park and has parking. It's at the entrance to the new Westin timeshare, which also has restrooms as it operates like a hotel.

Further north of Kaanapali heading toward Kahana, there are very few beaches (it's rocky) until you get to Kapalua Resort, where the is a public beach great for snorkling on Kapalua Bay. If you go a bit past Kapalua where the Ritz Carlton is, you'll came across Fleming Beach, which serves the Ritz C. However, it is a public beach with parking and restrooms. Lots of shade because there is a grove of palm trees around a beach bar that is just heavenly. The surf can be treacherous though, so beware. But just for lazing around, this is one of our favorite spots in West Maui.

If you don't have a car and just want to lie on a beach, just south of the dock (that's to the right as you get off the tender) there is a beach with a bit of water protected by a reef. There's a restaurant there at 505 Front street and some restrooms in the complex. Not too spectacular, but hey, it's sandy and on the water.

I can't speak for Kihei and points south or east (Wailea, Makena). I do know there are lots of beautiful beaches near or past the major hotels--Renaissance (being torn down), Grand Wailea and Four Seasons, as well as the Makena Prince and Mauna Lani. Guess you'll have to find out for yourself.

BTW, someone mentioned Kahala. It's a mostly residential area on Oahu. Maybe the poster meant Kapalua?

Had enough?:)

An option to ponder is renting a car in Honolulu. We used Enterprise and paid about $45.00 for a Quest van. This allows you to go just about wherever you please.

We went to Pearl Harbor, drove upto the North Shore and hit a few of the beaches (not much as far as amenities but great waves to watch) had lunch, went to an outlet mall and last but not least visited the Hilo Hatties in Honolulu (you will become familiar with the store by the time you get to Honolulu.).

Just sharing our day and giving you an option.

Enjoy your trip.

It might help if you go to the Ports of Call board and scroll to hawaii. There are some posters on there who actually live in Hawaii and may be of some help to you if you post that question also over there.

marilyn

We were cruising in Hawaii on Infiniti this October. We rented a car on Maui, wanted to go swimming/snorkeling for a few hours and then to drive around to see the island.

Drove to Sheraton, which is about 15-20 min from the Dollar rental, and used vallet parking (small free parking lot for visitors was packed!) - vallet costs 5 bucks for 2-3 hours. The staff in hotel was extremely courteous and had absolutely no problem with us going to the beach through the main lobby. We went down to Black Rock, snorkeled at and around the Rock (if you go around, there is much nicer area with cleaner water and more fish, plus with lesser crowd, but there was a strong current coming towards Sheraton around the Rock).

Somebody said above - I think, Becky? - that the snorkeling is amazing at the Rock. I would say it depends on the experience one has with seeing different places. Yes, Black Rock stands out compared to Key Largo, but it is way off of what we saw in the Andaman Sea and equatorial South Pasific.

Lastly, the chairs and umbrellas can be rented from hotel kiosk right on the beach, but pricing is ridiculous (I think it was like around $60 for a pair of lounge chairs and an umbrella).

We used hotel (public) restrooms - again, no problem.

Enjoy your cruise!

........Because we are cruising and not staying at a resort we are concern that they may be problems to access restrooms, rent chairs and umbrellas (at the beach).

We're planning to go to Ka'anapali Beach in Lahaina Maui. I undestand that this beach is surrounded by resorts, so in this case what type of access to restrooms and chair and umbrellas rentals are available (if any)? I know that resorts don't provide this facilities to people not staying with them. Regards, Frank

How refreshing... someone who does not expect to get free run of a hotel just because they "show up". I have seen so many threads where folks think the hotels should welcome them with open arms. They are looking for "where can I get a freebee"

We have been in ports where we were advised the local hotels did not welcome cruise passengers. In those cases, we only have ourselves to blame.

But in cases like this where folks go with an expectation to pay a fair rental fee for a lounge and umbrella, buy a lunch or drinks..... that may restore cruisers being welcomed again.

If snorkeling is your goal, I've found the best just pulling off the road somewhere and jumping in! All of the beaches are public, so there's no such thing as trespassing on private land. You may forego the lounger and the umbrella (and even the bathroom), but you may just see some AMAZING fish and wildlife! I snorkeled among a half dozen sea turtles for nearly an hour just out in the middle of nowhere!

An option to ponder is renting a car in Honolulu. We used Enterprise and paid about $45.00 for a Quest van. This allows you to go just about wherever you please.

We went to Pearl Harbor, drove upto the North Shore and hit a few of the beaches (not much as far as amenities but great waves to watch) had lunch, went to an outlet mall and last but not least visited the Hilo Hatties in Honolulu (you will become familiar with the store by the time you get to Honolulu.).

Just sharing our day and giving you an option.

Enjoy your trip.

did you rent at the airport????

I have been diving and snorkeling for years in Maui and my favourite spot is Makena Landing/Five Caves on Makena Bay in south Maui. The is not Makena Beach also known as Big Beach which is further south. Makena beach is much longer but the snorkeling is not as good and there are no washrooms there. You will need to rent a vehicle to go there.

Direction from the Maui Dive Guide ( free guide from Maui Dive shops ) Go south of Kehei and Wailea on Wailea Alanui Rd.

Just past Makena surf condo turn right onto Old Mekena Rd and go 4/10ths of mile to parking, restroom and showers.

There has been lots of construction on Maui in the last few years thus things may have changed so ask a local for direction or go into a Maui Dive shop for a free guide and to rent equipment if needed. There are two of these shops on S. Kehei Rd, the main drag in Kehei.

From beach I suggest you snorkel to right along shoreline looking for caves just under the water surface ( not deep ) which can have small white tip sharks and green turtles. If you are a strong swimmer and continue to swim to point the lava ridge continues underwater and follow it from above you will come to turtle town. As the name suggests there is lots of turtles and is where the snorkel and dive tour boats go to after visiting Molokini Crater. Go early in the morning as the water gets rougher nearer to mid day and this is the reason the tour boats don't go to Molokini in the PM.

I have seen much sea life near shore here including turtles. The coral here is the hard type and is not as colorful as the soft Caribbean variety but the sealife is better and more colorful. Below is a map and the turle shows where Turtle Town is.

makenB.jpg.993a5e2f4097285dfa61d8f855f813f6.jpg

Black rock and Kaanapali beach can have very rough water at time during the winter since it is a more exposed area at the western tip of Maui and is affected by the northernly trade winds prevalent there at this time. I my opinion the snorkeling is not as good here but the beach is very nice. If you want to snorkel here do it at Black Rock as this is where I have found it to be the best.

In Kailua-Kona beside where the tender docks is Kamakahonu or Kids beach which is very protected and calm. Snorkeling is just so so here.

About 5 miles south of the town center on Alii Dr, the coastal road, is Kahaluu Beach Park which has excelent snorkeling. There is a barrier reef that protects this bay and the water is very gentle. As well as being alive with tropical fish, there are many green sea turtles that hang out here as they feed on the turtle grass on the shallow bottom of the bay here. Quite often you will find a turtle or two asleep on the beach as they are protected ( they've figured this out I guess ) and don't seem to mind the human company.

I have been diving and snorkeling for years in Maui and my favourite spot is Makena Landing/Five Caves on Makena Bay in south Maui. The is not Makena Beach also known as Big Beach which is further south. Makena beach is much longer but the snorkeling is not as good and there are no washrooms there. You will need to rent a vehicle to go there.

Direction from the Maui Dive Guide ( free guide from Maui Dive shops ) Go south of Kehei and Wailea on Wailea Alanui Rd.

Just past Makena surf condo turn right onto Old Mekena Rd and go 4/10ths of mile to parking, restroom and showers.

There has been lots of construction on Maui in the last few years thus things may have changed so ask a local for direction or go into a Maui Dive shop for a free guide and to rent equipment if needed. There are two of these shops on S. Kehei Rd, the main drag in Kehei.

From beach I suggest you snorkel to right along shoreline looking for caves just under the water surface ( not deep ) which can have small white tip sharks and green turtles. If you are a strong swimmer and continue to swim to point the lava ridge continues underwater and follow it from above you will come to turtle town. As the name suggests there is lots of turtles and is where the snorkel and dive tour boats go to after visiting Molokini Crater. Go early in the morning as the water gets rougher nearer to mid day and this is the reason the tour boats don't go to Molokini in the PM.

I have seen much sea life near shore here including turtles. The coral here is the hard type and is not as colorful as the soft Caribbean variety but the sealife is better and more colorful. Below is a map and the turle shows where Turtle Town is.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a nude beach right around there! I came across it quite by accident. I was snorkeling and I came around a lava promontory. I suddenly found myself amidst a few other swimmers, and needless to say, I saw more of them than I expected. Startled, I raised my face out of the water and saw a beach filled with naked people. As nudism's not really my thing, I put my head back in the water and hightailed it out of there! From what I remember, though, the snorkeling was great. Be careful, though, as you may see some "wildlife" you weren't anticipating!

If I'm not mistaken, there is a nude beach right around there! I came across it quite by accident. I was snorkeling and I came around a lava promontory. I suddenly found myself amidst a few other swimmers, and needless to say, I saw more of them than I expected. Startled, I raised my face out of the water and saw a beach filled with naked people. As nudism's not really my thing, I put my head back in the water and hightailed it out of there! From what I remember, though, the snorkeling was great. Be careful, though, as you may see some "wildlife" you weren't anticipating!

The nude beach is called Little beach and is just north of Makena or Big beach. Both are in Mekena State Park. You have to climb over an old lava flow at the north end of Big beach or as mentioned above swim around it to get to Little beach. As mentioned in my post Makena Landing is not there but is about 1 1/2 miles north of there. Big and Little beaches are on the south side of large red colour cinder cone called Puu Olai or Red Hill whereas Mekena Landing is on the north side.

When on Maui just get a map which are readily available for free in tourist areas like Lahaina and are in most tourist publications and promotion books. These locations are well known and marked on these maps.

Archived