Afternoon Snorkel, is it worth it?

Ocean Spirit

We'll be in Kona next month and wanted to do a snorkeling trip. I've always have heard that you want to take the morning tours. The water is calmer, more fish etc.

All the morning tours are booked and only the afternoon tour is open.

Is it worth booking a afternoon snorkel trip or should I look into a land tour?

I can't remember where (all the names in Hawaii have run together for me, since it's been a few years), but we went snorkeling in Hawaii. On our own, not as a tour. It was not in the morning. DH said (he got out further than I did) that the coral was a myriad of colors, and spectacular. He was much more impressed with the coral than the fish. The waters were not very calm, and we all got cut a little, but it was doable. Of course, we went in from the beach, not a boat.

Shay

I have done 2 land vacations in Kona. Wonderful place. You will love it. The best snorkling I have done there has been FREE of charge at Kahaluu Beach Park. Going south on Alii Drive it is on the right a few miles down from the tender dock. It is like swimming in an aquarium! There are turtles, puffer fish, parrot fish, trumpet fish, morish idols, convict fish, and many others. It is also very calm. I have never experienced rough water there. We would just get an itch to get in the water and any time of the day could go there and get wonderful pictures. But this is a place you will see tons of fish but not tons of colorful corals. What ever you do in Kona, you will enjoy it! It is a beautiful little town. When we were there in February they even had a coral with Long Horn Cattle in it. I was blown over to see that.

Archived