Pride Baggage Check-in at Long Beach Terminal

I've been reading the Carnival brochures and they explicitly state that Porters are not employees of Carnival, and that Carnival will not be held responsible for their actions or luggage lost by them.

What is the procedure for checking in your baggage at the Long Beach Terminal without using a Porter? Is it a big deal to carry over your luggage and check it in youself? I'm never very comfortable handing over my baggage to Porters beit airline or cruise terminals. I prefer to check it in myself at the ship.

Any help or insite would be appreciated.

From the place where we handed our luggage to the porter to the holding area Carnival has for loading was about 10 feet away. We watched our luggage the whole time until it got to the holding area. It was fine. This area is on the first floor of the parking garage.

I got a great porter for the PRIDE last May.

Took my largest roll-on. Checked my name. Started singing, "Somebody got an UPGRADE, Somebody got an UPGRADE". Big smile as he informed me I was being upgraded from a 1A to a 5A. Answered several questions for me, pointed out where I could get a cold beer and told me about pre-boarding at the Queen Mary. Very helpful. A delight. One large bag - $3 tip That man definitely knows his game. :D

We too had a great porter at Long Beach when we sailed the Pride on 05/30. We (actually I) had lots of luggage plus our roll on ice chest. He was right there to help unload the luggage from the car. I gave him $10 and asked him to be careful with our precious cargo. We had liquor packed in the suitcases. Every last item arrived safely and in great condition.

Gary, how close are you to the fires? Since you've been on this board every day, I hope that means you weren't under any evacuation orders.

So, I'm trying to understand. Carnival doesn't employ Porters? Yet they are partof the process? And Carnival says they will not responsible for the Porter's actions?

Does anyone know how/why the process works? Can a passenger get in a Carnival line to do his own luggage check-in without the use or help of a porter? Does Carnival provide this?

Any further explaination would be great.

The porters are the ones who gets the luggage to the ship. THey are hired by the port authority. There is no way to check your luggage without using the Porters.

You can carry on your luggage but it better fit in the security xray machine or you will have to get in the end of the line again.- also if you arrive on the ship before 1 pm and are not allowed in your cabin yet- do you really want to be lugging it around.. people say they drop the stuff into their cabins but be aware the cabins are not secure until the 1pm deadline.

I have tipped porters taking my luggage a few feet from the cab to the cage they place it in. For one--they are the ones to make sure the luggage arrives on the ship. I be better off paying the buck a bag then stiffin ghim no matter how many feet.

Venture: If you do not receive your luggage before 10pm that first night go to the pursers desk. They have lots of luggage standing by because their tags got lost.

When we sailed on the VOyager 6 people did not receieve their luggage.. that is because it wound up in various cabins and the people in those cabins never notified anyone until everyone got a letter in their cabin to report any luggage that is not theirs to the pursers desk. (

Archived