Anyone been on Legend lately?

Petoonya

I'm an Oceania and Celebrity regular and looking at a 13 nite Legend Mediterranean 10/07.

The price is so good that I am concerned something is not right.

I know that Legend is older and does not have all the goodies of Radiance class. (Last RCCL ship I did was Radiance 5-6 years ago) And that it caters primarily to British passengers. Reviews on CC have been generally positive. Was on Legend when it was gleaming new years ago and it was a beautiful ship.

Never been on cruise I didn't like but there are some ships I would not want to sail again. Anyone have strong feelings either way?

Thanks.

I

We were on the Legend the last week in November and found her to be in nice shape considering her age. You can see some cracks in paint and some rust in some areas but, you have to be looking for flaws. The miniature golf coarse should be taken out back on shot but other than that, she is still a lovely ship. The most memorable aspect of this cruise will definetly be the Port of Tampa itself. What a breeze embarkation and debarkation were and the friendliness of the everyone from the porters to valets was so refreshing from the surliness of our last cruise out of Miami. I might even sacrifice itinerary to sail out of Tampa again.

We sailed on the Legend upon its return from the Med. We really enjoyed the ship and all the service. The dining room staff was very friendly and quick.

The stateroom staff did a great job and was very friendly.

As were the rest of the crew.

We would sail the Legend again with no problem

Sailed Legend in March. Yes, its an older ship...but it is a nice ship and a great cruise.

The price is so low because its not an in demand ship due to Freedom and Voyager classes. Its a great time, seriously. I had same reservations as you. Go into it with an open mind and you will love it.

One thing to keep in mind, if you like Solarium, the roof doesnt open up on this ship, so you have an enclosed glass roof over you. Hard to get a tan here..but a beautiful area indeed.

Just a recent point of view here..We have made two 14 day Med cruises on legend...and thoroughly enjoyed them. We sailed both times from Southampton...taking in Ports in Portugal..Italy..France.Spain..and Gibralter. The ship was absolutely lovely the first time....summer 2005..when she first started cruising out of the UK. When we returned this past August..2006...with our family..she was just sparkling. They are constantly updating and improving the ship..keeping her well maintained and in excellent decorative order.

The cabins all had new beds complete with new frames.. mattresses..pillow toppers...quilts..scatter cushions..and throws.. added in June this year. All Quality Eqyptian linen..and very comfortable . The cabin steward was brilliant... Never had to ask for anything..he was one step ahead. The dining room menu had been upgraded....with lots of little touches..and extra choices... added since our first cruise. The food was excellent..and service first class.

In 2005...Legend underwent a refit..adding a Ben & Jerry's ice cream parlour and a Latte tudes coffee bar on deck 6. All the Windjammer Cafe was redesigned.. with 5 or 6 central service islands..offering the same choices on either side..avoiding the need to form long lines..or cross over to make a selection. New furniture. Lots of carpeting replaced in many areas and soft furnishings. she is a beautifully light and bright ship. With lots of glass..and wonderful sea views..which I believe Radiance also has. The atrium area has a very elegant feel. Maybe not as posh as some ships..but really lovely.There have been rumours of another sprucing up.... before she starts another summer season. As she is changing home ports again....to a European clientele...and 2 years will have passed..that might be a possibility.

It is true.. the Legend of the Links..mini golf... does take a battering. They keep repairing and replacing it..but it just doesn't last. The shuffleboard type area..was being completely resurfaced and repainted while we were onboard.. As was the chimney area with the RC logo..the solarium roof pressure cleaned..and all the fore deck..bow area painted.

The crew are just fantastic..always working..yet cannot do enough for you. we were unsure how the second cruise would match up..as we enjoyed the first so much. It was.. without a doubt..even better. I know a lot of people compare to Voyager class etc..but as someone who cruised many times in years past...I would NOT Class Legend as small. 70,000 tons to me is quite a good size..and she has a wonderful atmosphere to her. You also feel very welcome..and part of a family sort of speak. People get to know you. There is plenty to do onboard..and I would certainly not consider 11 years to be that old. jmo The med itinerary..is also very different than others.. As it is very port intensive..and the places in general are much more than beach type resorts...so lots to see and do.

A great feature of the cruise....is the late night buffets..and deck parties they arranged for us. so much work went into them. We had 2 in the dining room..one made of All chocolates..and 2 while in port on deck... under the stars. A band playing...waiters dancing with spinning trays of cocktails..and A Sangria fountain...with tappas and paella..greeted us while overnight in Barcelona...and another midnight buffet and party at port in Palma...leading up to our 2am sailing. Great fun!! Loads of bar b ques poolside for lunch as well. All in all..we loved Legend.

she was catering to the UK market..but only for the 2 summer seasons. she is now going to change her itinerary for summer 2007... sailing out of Rome (Civitavecchia) The Navigator is replacing her out of southampton. the first Voyager class for the UK. We are actually booked for a third cruise on Legend ...again In August 2007...for a 12 day cruise through Italy and Croatia. it is a brilliant itinerary...something unplanned..but too good to miss. we really want to see Venice..and Florence (Livorno) both overnight stops. We don't know what difference ...if any..sailing from Italy will make. Or what nationality of passengers will travel. We just hope it is as good a cruise as the past two...which were very nearly perfect. Happy Sailing! Carol

Carol,

Thank you so much for your beautiful review. I feel now we will absolutely love Legend.

We booked the same itinerary as you, except we have an extra sea day and ours is in October 07. Been eyeing those sailings for sometime and agree- those overnites in Livorno and Venice are something we can't afford to miss- the perfect Mediterranean itinerary. It was the blowout price that had me wondering.

Your words about the great service and atmosphere reassure me greatly. Wish we'd chosen the same trip and we could work on some joint excursions! Have done Portofino before and spent a day in Santa Marguerita and it was lovely. Wonder if it's too risky with the time allotted to do Cinque Terre from Portofino? Have you any idea what your plan will be for Livorno? We've rented a car the last two cruises and ran about Tuscany, but the couple we were with drove. Knowing we won't have to rush back to the ship this time will be fabulous- but I fear if hubby and I do it alone we will tear each others throats out. ;)

It sounds like many of the amenities are an improvement over the Celebrity ships- the beds on X ships are hard as a rock.

Thanks again Carol. I am really looking forward to this. :)

Archived