12/3 FOS Cruise Lung Irritations

CallagDeb

I had norovirus on December 16th at home. It was horrible, the worst I've ever experienced. All my symptoms were consistent of the norovirus. My dad talked to someone at his work who recently was recovering from norovirus. Then, my dad got norovirus December 15th and I got norovirus December 16th then my mom got norovirus December 17th. My whole entire house was infected with norovirus last weekend.

This outbreak wasn't from a cruise because I haven't been on a cruise ship since July 9, 2006 Freedom of the Seas cruise.

Don't read below if you don't want to know my symptoms of norovirus.

I don't know how to describe the horrible feeling. I woke up last Saturday (December 16th) and I felt nausea. Then, I went to the bathroom and had the Diarrhea and I never get that. This all started at about 9 AM last Saturday. I thought I would recover and not vomit. At 12:45 PM, I went to the bathroom and came back and had to vomit. It just came out and I vomoited about 15-20 times and had dry heaves 5-10 times. It was the worst thing I've ever experienced. I was thinking it was the flu and first but it didn't seem right. Then, I read about norovirus and knew that those were my exact symptoms. The second day, I thought I would feel better but my stomach still hurt really bad and I still wasn't eating a lot. The third day, I started to feel better but I still didn't feel good standing up for a long period of time. The fourth day is when I really started to feel better but my stomach lining still felt very thin. I lost 6 pounds, I only weigh 114 pounds now. I am finally eating everything and recovered. It's the worst virus ever. I don't know how I would put up with norovirus if I was on the ship because at home I felt horrible. It takes 3-5 days to make a full recovery. I'd rather have the flu over norovirus. But, I'm glad I'm well again.

Sorry you had a terrible cruise. We hope that you are recovering. I have issues with cleaning solutions here at home, so needless to say I am thrilled when I see the crew cleaning on the ship! I am still sick from our cruise on the explorer. I didn't get the norovirus but some kind of throat irritation with my tonsils from the "air" and my followup visit my my doctor today said I just didn't respond to the antibiotics given. You have to go with the flow. We saw cleaning everyday although our ship didn't have that problem. Sorry, but the way they are cleaning is how all of the cruise lines are cleaning as my doctor said his friends just experienced this same thing on a Holland cruise line. He couldn't believe people were quarantined.

Okay, I am new to this, but have been reading for months. As a former pre-school teacher, and a fifth grade teacher now, I am surprised by how uninformed the general public is about this virus. It is very prevelent in schools. I feel so sorry for the people who are experiencing bronchial problems because of all the spraying. I wish they would clean our schools that intensively after a noro outbreak. I had 12 out of 25 absent last year because of this virus. I know they could not spray during school hours, so I seem to be supporting the "close of an area first" team. The problem with this on a ship is that when you have this virus... You just have to do what you have to do wherever you are. I have had it before after a family reunion and had to pull over on I-35 at night and almost didn't make that. You have no control. With 3,600 + on ships now, I feel that they are just trying to prevent mass amounts of yuck all over the ship. Since this is how it is spread I don't really see any alternative. Think about yuck in the elevators.... no thanks. Thank you RCCL for trying to do the best you can.

when did the spraying start? I was on the Grandeur in March, and there were about 250-300 cases of the norvirus and all they were doing was wiping all surfaces down with bleach water - which, of course, caused quite a line at the purser's desk for ruined clothing from leaning up against surfaces covered in bleach! We were not being told that this was happening. I walked down the stairs and noticed my hand was wet, wiped it on my slacks, then got the smell of bleach! Of course, those slacks went into the trash! There has to be a better way to control this. The spraying will end up causing problems, too. There has to be a solution that can be wiped on surfaces. Has anyone heard if the CDC has made any comments as to how the ship should handle this, or is the chlorine the only way?

Archived