Your Number One Money Saving Tip

not wanting to sound like a lush (!), but the "manhattan's", "martini's" and "wine" aren't watered down & you can usually get 2 consumed and 1 to carry with you to dinner within the time they're offerring them. If you really are trying to drink a lot for free, you can always go to both the early & late seating cocktail parties and hope they don't recognize you!

Another drinking tip is to buy a bottle of white, & a bottle of red the first night and then they'll recork it for you and bring it to dinner each night for you. I find with the captain's free drinks night, repeat cruisers free drinks night, and the other couple of nights drinking my 2 bottles of wine, that's enough to have 1 or 2 drinks each night and not need anything more, and still have only a small bar tab at the end of the week.

The mixed drinks (mai tais, drink of the day etc.) aren't really very good on a cruise anyway so this works quite well for me and is easier than smuggling and hoping not to get caught and is a bit more social than sitting in my room drinking!

not wanting to sound like a lush (!), but the "manhattan's", "martini's" and "wine" aren't watered down & you can usually get 2 consumed and 1 to carry with you to dinner within the time they're offerring them. If you really are trying to drink a lot for free, you can always go to both the early & late seating cocktail parties and hope they don't recognize you!

Another drinking tip is to buy a bottle of white, & a bottle of red the first night and then they'll recork it for you and bring it to dinner each night for you. I find with the captain's free drinks night, repeat cruisers free drinks night, and the other couple of nights drinking my 2 bottles of wine, that's enough to have 1 or 2 drinks each night and not need anything more, and still have only a small bar tab at the end of the week.

The mixed drinks (mai tais, drink of the day etc.) aren't really very good on a cruise anyway so this works quite well for me and is easier than smuggling and hoping not to get caught and is a bit more social than sitting in my room drinking!

Don't forget there's "Friends of Bill" meetings every day and they're free!!!;) (Just messin' with ya).

(If anyone doesn't know what those are, just do a search)

Happy Sailing!

Romy

Don't know a whole lot about the verbage on the savings, but would you think the OBC could be applied to each of the 3 cabins we booked on a single Carnival cruise? We're taking a big family, and $300 might be worth it for us.

My understanding is that if you own 100 share of RCCL, then you get the OBC for the cabin you are staying in. If you own 100 share in an account and your spouse owns 100 in another account, then if you "stay" (book) in separate cabins (you with a child, spouse with a child), then you each can get OBC for your respective cabins. If you both own stock in 2 accts and stay in the same cabin, you only get 1 OBC for the 1 cabin. Clear as mud?:rolleyes:

Happy Sailing!

HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING LOWER FARE OFFERED BY DIFFERENT TA? :confused: WE'RE CRUISING ON RCI - LOS. I BOUGHT RCI - CRUISE CARE TRAVEL INSURANCE WHEN I BOOKED. HOW DOES THIS HELP WITH CHANGING?

CAN YOU "SWITCH" EXISTING RESERVATION TO ANOTHER TA THAT IS OFFERING LOWER FARE + OBC? IF SO, HOW? OR DO I GO BACK TO MY TA (NOT IMPRESSED W/ HIM!) AND ASK HIM TO MATCH FARE & OBC OFFER?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP / SUGGESTIONS!

HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING LOWER FARE OFFERED BY DIFFERENT TA? :confused: WE'RE CRUISING ON RCI - LOS. I BOUGHT RCI - CRUISE CARE TRAVEL INSURANCE WHEN I BOOKED. HOW DOES THIS HELP WITH CHANGING?

CAN YOU "SWITCH" EXISTING RESERVATION TO ANOTHER TA THAT IS OFFERING LOWER FARE + OBC? IF SO, HOW? OR DO I GO BACK TO MY TA (NOT IMPRESSED W/ HIM!) AND ASK HIM TO MATCH FARE & OBC OFFER?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP / SUGGESTIONS!

I would first ask the TA to match the offer. Do you know if the new TA's price is the going RCL price or is it a group price? (You can check by going to RCL's website). I think you have to get your current TA to sign a form allowing you to switch the booking number to the new TA. Also you would want to make sure your existing TA doesn't have a cancellation fee (although if the price difference is great enough and with the OBC that may be a moot point). I don't think cruise care travel insurance has anything to do with it. Before switching I would make sure that the new TA will still honor the price and OBC.

Good Luck!

This would be tough between;

(1) Book an inside cabin if you don't spend a lot of time in your room.

or

(2)Some cruiselines such as RCCL will honor price drops after you book. I've received as much as $750 back on my total bill two weeks before sailing.

Here are some more of my favorite money-saving tips which can be used on any cruise line.

http://familytravelfun.com/carnival-cruise-line.html

Lotsago You do not have to own RCCL stock before you book cruise just contact them before you sail. For a five night cruise I believe they just give you $50.00 per cabon OBC

I just bought 100 shares of Carnival Cruise Lines, and will get $100 OBC on my Dec, 07 cruise. You have to fax the cruise line proof of your booking and deposit, and proof of stock ownership. The stock closed yesterday at $47.73 (I made a whole $3.00 on my first day of ownership!). Seemed like a good investment to me..........it can be used on ANY line operated by Carnival, which includes Princess, Cunard and several others.

Carole

Thanks LilDutchGirl, you're my hero! They saved me $1400:eek: :D . Not to mention my new TA is amazing, completely professional and I get the feeling we'll be doing a lot more cruising from now on. I just don't know what I'd do without these boards! Thanks again!!!

Happy Saving, er I mean Sailing!!!:D

What "form" are you talking about? I'd like to save $1400 too! ;)

What "form" are you talking about? I'd like to save $1400 too! ;)

Go to Cruise Compete and fill out the form of the details of your cruise, date, cruiseline, ship, price quoted, etc. and you'll get different quotes from different agents and you pick the best one! It sure worked for me, good luck!!

Happy Sailing!!

Romy

Wow, thanks I'll try it right now! :D

Good luck Honeybear! Let me know what they did for you! If you want to you can email me at romyscandles at hotmail dot com.

Happy Saving!!!

Romy

Use Carnival's Military Discount!!!!

Recently booked a 15 day transatlantic cruise on Carnival for an aft extended deck at a little over $62.50 per day.

Steamboatin,

My husband gets the military rate. Which transatlantic cruise are you taking? We haven't noticed one with a military rate on it. Thanks for any help you can give us.

browneyes7:confused:

Take a third (or even a fourth, but they have to be real good friends) in your cabin. Sure, it cuts down on privacy, etc, but adding another person to the room does not increase the cost that much. You then divide the total by three (or four). On an Inland Passage cruise we got a balcony for less than a cave would have cost for just the two of us...

My #1 tip was: making a realistic budget for onboard spending. I broke it down by person and by day, so everyone could make their own spending decisions. (We had already decided we weren't going to book any excursions.)

I also checked my onboard account every day, to make sure we were staying more or less on track. Several times during the week, I took cash out of the safe and paid off the balance. Amount billed to my credit card at the end of the cruise: zero! :D

Another one: If you want to shop jewelry on your cruise, do some research beforehand at www.jewelrytelevision.com. In my experience, the ship's jewelry prices are too high, but you may find prices in port that are comparable to JTV's if you bargain a bit. When shopping in port, never accept the first price they quote; always ask if they can do a little better. If they can't, you can always order from JTV when you get back home.

And another: I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything in the ship's shops until day 4 of the cruise. The merchandise isn't going anywhere, and after a 4-day cooling-off period, I decided I could live without those crystal earrings that had been so irresistible on Day 1.

1. Book Early - I've booked our cruises 7-12 months in advance. I did receive credit back on one cruise when their fare was lowered. This also gives us time to save money for the final payment any spending money we may need.

2. Inside cabin. I've done both and I personally would rather spend the extra money on drinks, excursion, pictures, etc. You really don't spend all that much time in there anyway.

3. Drive if you can. This saves a family of four a ton of money. Plus, you won't have the cost of a shuttle back and forth to the terminal. This alone can sometimes run $50.00 per person.

4. You are allowed to bring on water and sodas - do it.

5. I know it sounds tacky, but if you're a big drinker, smuggle a bottle on. Personally I only drink beer so this has never done me much good. It does save us where my husband is concerned.

6. Buy your pictures on the last day. I way over spent on the first cruise b/c each day I liked the pictures better than the day before. You can also take your own pictures.

7. Excursions will get you. We usually choose one and hang around town or the ship when in other ports.

8. If you go the night before, stay in a hotel that has free cruise parking. They will drop off and pick up at no charge. Cruise parking usually runs $10 per day at the terminal.

9. Set a budget and make sure you check your account each day. The cruise lines make it very easy to go over budget with the sail and sign cards. This year we are going to pre pay our sail and sign with cash.

I have booked all of our cruises directly with the cruise line. I ask about discounts and specials.

Well the way to spend the least amount of money on a cruise would be to leave the wife home.:D :D

I loved the thought behind it...however not so sure the mrs. would bye on to the idea.... Hell who am I kidding she would kill me with "THE LOOK" :)

But it was a fun idea while it lasted....wait I hear her coming now...

"yes dear, you're absolutly right dear, whatever you say dear....yes dear.....

32 years and trying for 33 :)

Dan

• 1 month later...

My #1 saving tip:

Book early. Pay the minimum deposit. Check at least once a month to see if price has dropped, have TA get rate reduced. Do not make final payment early!

For our upcoming NCL cruise in Hawaii, we found a price we could live with for an outside. The price dropped 8 months before sailing, and for $34 more a person we upgraded to a balcony cabin. Then 5 months before sailing, the balcony rate dropped $200 pp. So we saved $166 a person and are getting a room with a balcony! You have to be diligent. I made the TA argue with NCL for the lower price. Also, you may not get a reduction in price if the special rate is "for new bookings only" but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Happy cruising,

Suzy

My #1 money saving tip is to read Cruise Critic Boards each day. The people here love to share information on sales, price drops, private shore excursions, car rentals, hotels/motels, coupons and much more.

Savings Examples:

Learned about buying stock in cruise companies - stock has gone up - savings $$$$ in OBC.

Purchased cruises after I read about a sale here - saved $$$ and got onboard credit.

A fellow poster noted drop in price - saved more than $200 on one cruise alone.

Reserved shore excursions based on recommendations - saved $$$ over cruiseline price.

Purchased trip insurance from a less expensive company with good payout history - saved $$

Read reviews on cameras and binoculars - saved $$$.

Read packing advice - won't buy things that aren't needed and will carry things that are vital.

The list is almost endless.

My # 1 tip is to DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Think outside the box. My upcoming cruise I just saved $250.00 by flying out of one airport instead of another. I will also bid on price line for my night before hotel room. I do have a backup if that falls through. Since I live too far from any airport to make the trip the day I fly out I always book with a hotel that allows parking while I'm gone. and the hotel is usually very reasonable to boot.

Pack all the incendential items you will need. Suntan lotion is very expensive on the ship if you are in the caribbean as are aspirins etc. I also bring a bit of snacks with me so when I get the munchies on board I don't spend a fortune at the stores on board.

Research the ports you are visiting. I find that I can pick up some neat items as gifts for the family inexpensively in my travels. People just love it when I say that this gift came from some place in the caribbean.

I hope these tips have helped someone.

1) Know what is free and what isn't. We had a waiter come and take orders for bottled water. When he asked for our cruise card after taking the order, we all cancelled (we had the impression it was free). I often drink iced tea or just water with dinner. Some lines - like Disney, have free soda in the dining rooms.

2) Don't pay for things you can get free. X will give you free sea-sick pills at the pursers desk. Often, you can get ice cream from certain locations or at meals for free, but need to pay for it by the pool. Sometimes if you take a free internet class, you can get free connect time.

3) Check online for any coupons.

A poster mentioned if on NCL, take the upsell. Check each day. Could someone please elaborate? What is an "upsell" and how/where do you find it? thank you

An upsell is when the cruise line calls you shortly before your departure date, and says they have a better cabin than what you booked for $X. It can be a great deal (I have never had it happen to me). You can accept and pay the difference, or keep what you originally booked.

This is different than an upgrade, where the cruise line puts you in a better cabin than what you paid for, at no extra charge. People often book GTY hoping for an upgrade. . . in my experience we were upgraded to a higher deck, but not usually to a good location. So we usually book what cabin we want and are happy with it!

Suzy

Archived