roomtype: is upgrading worth it?

kt7426

that can only be determined by you and what you are wanting. We booked a balcony one time and decided the extra money was not worth it because we don't spend much time in our cabin. WE are very active and get involved while we cruise. Some just love a balcony because they do spend a lot of time in their cabin. So you need to decide how much you would really use the balcony.

As far as ocean view, again you need to decide if paying that extra money is worth you being able to see outside. Some say that an inside room in dark and dreary. We don't think so because all we do is sleep and clean up there! AS far as the good rates you need to just watch the prices, sometimes when they lower the prices they only do it on certain categories. I hope this helps you.

we are booked in and interior room now, is it worth upgrading to oceanview/balcony. when is the best time to get good rates for upgrading?

It depends on being worth it. Only you can decide what your priority is. I will consider booking inside on short or port intensive cruises where a minimum time is spent in cabin.

I think best times are about 60-70 days out when final payment is due, or really early to get best cabin location.

Try ***** site for last minute deals. Also RCI promowave or happy hour.

It depends on being worth it. Only you can decide what your priority is. I will consider booking inside on short or port intensive cruises where a minimum time is spent in cabin.

I think best times are about 60-70 days out when final payment is due, or really early to get best cabin location.

Try ***** site for last minute deals. Also RCI promowave or happy hour.

When and what is RCI promowave or happy hour?

they can be tiny - I don't know which line you're crusing, but the ones I've looked at (mostly RCCL) do list the square footage for their rooms. I think I've seen some as small as 120 sq ft -- the equivalent of a 10x12 room. My boss at work has a 12x12 cubicle! and mine is 10x10. Measure your bedroom and multiply it out and that will give you a better idea of what you're dealing with.

On my last cruise I opted for an oceanview instead of an interior on the Explorer of the Seas for three reasons:

1) the oceanview had 20 more square feet of room (180 instead of 160), and I was sailing with a friend, not a significant other

2) the difference was only $100 per person for a 9-day cruise

3) natural light (this was a lesser factor, actually more of a bonus)

We had the twin-bed configuration and there was less than a twin bed's worth of space between the two beds. It actually gave us more usable room in the cabin, though, because in the queen configuration (with the beds pushed together), that amount of space became a narrow walkway on each side of the bed, instead of an extension of the main space within the room. We could actually walk up to the window and look out (instead of crawling on the bed to peek out).

For my next cruise, the woman I'm rooming with actually had a balcony cabin booked, but we decided to downgrade to an inside (only 165 sq ft, should be interesting) to save some money. The price difference there was over $400 including her discounts for cruiseline loyalty. We decided we'd rather spend that money on excursions, spa treatments, and drinks with little paper parasols in them! :D

So - it's really a matter of personal choice - what you want from the room and how much you're willing to spend.

Have a great trip, no matter what you decide! (Hey, I'd rather be in an inside room than not cruising at all!)

I have to say I think it all depends on your personal budget. If you are comfortable spending more on the cabin, it certainly is worth it to have a balcony. If paying for a balcony will cut into your onboard or shore spending a lot, then stick with the inside.

You have to remember that you will be going to the same places, eating in the same dining room and enjoying all the ammenities all the other cabins have (with the exception of suites).

Space is a consideration as well. Many times the outside cabins have more room to move around in and that can be a crucial issue, depending on who you are cruising with. You don't say what ship you're sailing on, why not give us that info and perhaps someone here can advise you on your particular cabin type.

I couldn't go on a cruise with out a balcony - I think its the closed in feeling -

Nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night and looking at the stars and Ocean its so peaceful - I love our balcony -

On our last cruise my wife and I fell asleep on our balcony almost everyday -

we are booked in and interior room now, is it worth upgrading to oceanview/balcony. when is the best time to get good rates for upgrading?

As others mention, a lot plays into. Most of all is what are you willing to pay for. Example, looking at that "Happy Hour" link provided above is see the Rhapsody on 21 Jan 07 a Balcony is $949, Ocean View $499, Inside $399.

As mentioned, some folks would not sail unless they had a balcony. Fine... they know the cost and would be willing to pay it. But if you look at and say.... $949 - $399 = $550 for 7 days = almost $80 a day.... then would the balcony be worth it. If you spent 2 hrs a day on it, that comes out to $40 an hour.

Some folks would say no way...:( . others might say I only vacation once a year.....:D

The other consideration is where and when you are going. In my case, the Caribbean, a balcony might be a nice addition. Port intensive cruises you may not even have the opportunity to spend the 2 hrs a day. Alaska... it will be colder, so you have to say would I want to be out there in 50 degree weather. :confused: :confused:

As others have said, it depends on you. It sounds like you have decided to keep an inside cabin. Because you haven't cruised before you will be fine and yes, you spend very little time in your cabin. We did the inside thing once; it was on RCI which has smaller cabins than many other lines thus the inside cabin was a joke. We decided never again, but as for the balcony: when I cruise will DD we get one (her preferance) for me, they are nice, but not a necessity and DH could totally care less!!!! You can see, what type of cabin you choose is a personal thing, like so many choices we make. NMnita

History:

Splendour -- Ocean view

Celebrity X -- Ocean view

Brilliance -- Balcony

Navigator -- Ocean view

Brillance -- Ocean view

January 2007

FOS -- Ocean view

I will do a balcony again sometime in 2008.

I do however feel abit removed from the "art of cruising" being so high up on the balcony.

I like being close to the water especially at night and on sea days. For me it is so more private and tranquil and if you allow -- I feel closer to nature, in the ocean view rooms.

Thanks for allowing me my observation!

Happy Holidays and Happy Cruising!!

I would only book an inside cabin. I'm only there to sleep and clean up. Most inside cabins on Carnival are close to 190 sq. ft. Which is about the size of my bedroom. Also, they are pitch black, which I love. I want to be able to sleep whenever I choose--just like at home. I can go see the ocean fine up on deck. So the extra $$ spent on an OV or balcony isn't worth it to me.:cool:

Archived