Norovirus on Infinity

cruzin4us

We just got home from the cruise. it was great. Some engine or motor problems and some minor sickness on Board. No major illness problems . Two people at our table were sick and they said that they received excellent treatment by the medical staff. the ship reacted very quickly to warn people aboutwashing their hands ,serving food to everyone at the buffets,etc.

Well, here it is, a report from someone aboard. Thanks

the ship reacted very quickly to warn people aboutwashing their hands ,serving food to everyone at the buffets,etc.
You do not mention every surface on the ship dripping in bleach. I am sure there are those here who would like confirmation yes or no on this exact point. TIA Hope you had a fabulous cruise.

This thread is about the norovirus problem, not the pod problem. Check this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=452177

Quoting a portion:

"While we are not suggesting eliminating "negative" posts, what we are going to do is systematically stop those who, in the sole discretion of Cruise Critic staff, post the same negative things over and over and over again in many threads just to disrupt the boards. "

If you want to see how widespread the norovirus is (and it IS widespread across the world) just google it and check the news reports. Here in New England we have had 75 people at a Keene NH nursing home. Illness that has yet to be confirmed as the norovirus is an outbreak at andover prep school, 81 people at Simmons College and an elementary school in Tewksbury with 250 kids sick and over a dozen staff.

The norovirus is believed to cause hundreds of people who became sick after eating at the Olive Garden in Indianapolis.

34 cases confirmed in IL.

75 students at Jacob Shapiro Elementary school in Wisonsin

55 confirmed cases at the Wheeling-Ohio County Health Department

85 residents of elderly houseing in San Mateo County in California

A hospital in Truro in Canada had a dozen staff get sick

A hotel in Malta had an outbreak

It is a widespread problem in Japan too. 167 hotel guests. 136 got food poisoning after eating packed lunches made by the same firm, 22 of them have been confirmed as norovirus. In 1 area 374 students and teachers in the area have acute gastroenteritis and norovirus was detected in 14 of them.

Plus I bet a lot of people who come down with it never see a doctor. They would be sick for a couple of days then get better and go on with their live. Some people can still be contageous for a week or two after they get better.

So even if there is not an "official" outbreak of the norovirus on a ship, it would be wise to disinfect if they suspect to prevent the next cruise from making the headlines with hundreds sick.

So three words: WASH WASH WASH

We also just got off the 12/3 cruise - there were many people ill. The ship was on code "orange" - lots of bleach, buffet converted to a "served" rather than "help yourself" system, and we all recevied a note in our cabin to:

1) see the dr if we were not feeling well (a complimentary service, in this case!) and

2) take extra precautions around handwashing, etc.

They actually had someone at the entrance to the dining rooms, etc, asking each person to santize their hands before entering. The problem is, of course, that people DON'T report it because they don't want to be quarantined... understandable, but problematic in the end.

We were lucky - I am obsessive about the handwashing/sanitizing thing - and we did not get sick. Interesting to hear that they delayed boarding in BA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone......

I just got home from the 12/17 sailing, and YES, there was a norovirus problem, and YES, I did get it :(

The cruise started on 12/17, and there was a crew with masks, gloves, and protective clothing spraying down the ship, the rooms, the embarkation stations, etc. This continued throughout the entire cruise.

I was quarantined to my room for 3 days, and my husband for 24 hours.

The symptoms started with vomitting and diarrhea. I became so dehydrated they hooked me up to an IV for about 2-3 hours. They also gave me two medicines. One was called Bactrim (spelling?), this was an antibiotic. The other was a medicine to reduce the vomitting (don't recall the name).

I was told if I left my room for any reason, I would be put off in the next port and not allowed to reboard the ship. The day I was finally allowed to leave the ship, I had a problem when my card was swipped. It made a large "Beeping" sound indicating to the crew member that I had been under quarantine.

The medical staff did treat me nicely at first, they did give me free medical care and said I can call Celebrity to get compensation for the days I was quarantined. I have to call Miami, and I'm not sure if they are giving me a refund or will be giving me a discount on a future cruise.....I'll keep you posted on this portion.

They also took a blood sample as well as a stool sample. They never did confirm one way or another whether I had the virus or not, but the nurse finally told me after about 5 phone calls "it doesn't matter if you have the virus or not, you will still be in quarantine for 72 hours."

The bottom line is there was/is a problem, the crew is very aware of the situation, and very tight lipped about it.

I know the norovirus is bound to show up now and again due to many people in small places.

This does impact a cruise however, when EVERYTHING is handled by crew members......For example, you can't even get your own water or sugar packets while in the buffet line. Everything is handed to you by crew members wearing gloves.

Well, I'm beat now.......I will try to get a review posted in the next few days along with some cool pictures.....Not everything was bad, but not everything was good either.

Laurie

As I promised, I called Celebrity to find out what kind of compensation (if any) would be issued.

I was told when I contacted Miami, that my husband would be issued a certificate for $180.72 for his 24 hours of isolation, and I would be given $542.16. The gentleman I spoke with said these credits could be used on a future cruise and would be good for one year. He said I should have something in 10-12 days.

If this is the case, I think Celebrity more than compensated for my quarantine, and I am pleased they are handling this so generously.

I'll post again when I receive the vouchers.

Archived