Passports while in port????

kalemke

This may be a silly question - do we need to bring our passports with us when we are in in port? Or will our seapass card be enough to get us on and off the ship?

Will a picture ID (licence) and perhaps a "copy" of our passport be enough? I really hate to haul around our passports which could get wet when snorkeling or perhaps stolen??

Thanks!:confused:

You will need your seapass card to get on and off the ship. Plue a picture ID. Some beleive it must be a passport (real others DL or other government ID.

In Europe I would have my Passport with me, same for Mexico. Canada and US I would not worry about it to much. For the Caribbean Your choice whichever makes you more comfortable.

Even if you are in the Caribbean you need to remember this. If you somehow get left behind or become ill and need to fly home when you are in port and do not have your passport you may have a problem. Afraid your question has open many cans of worms. Thinking "here we go again".

To exit/enter the ship you will need your seapass and sometimes a photo ID (Driver's License, State ID Card, or Passport).

If you are left behind or need to return to the states during the cruise you will need a passport. If you have your original (not a copy) you may proceed to exit the country.

If you are in the same situation and do not have a passport, you will need to go to the nearest US Consulate (possibly not in the city where the ship was docked) and have them issue a temporary or emergency passport. If you have a copy of your original, this can help speed the process a bit.

At any rate, you will have the cost of the replacement and the delay (consulates do have emergency hours but they decide how much of an emergency you have) before you can continue on to meet the ship.

In the end, it is your decision. We always take ours with us. Then again, we don't snorkle or scuba so the security issue is not there for us.

Charlie

As another poster said you will get lots of opinions on this. Some say take your passport, while others say no need to do this.

On some cruise lines, they hold your passports in the pursers office the entire time and that has been the case on most of our recent cruises. So, we make a copy of our passport to carry with us. I know that some feel very strongly about carrying their passport with them. Since we're used to the cruise line holding ours we no longer worry about it and if they didn't hold the original we wouldn't take it with us for fear that it could be lost or stolen whiile we are ashore. So, we would still carry a copy with us.

Keith

Everyone has their own thoughts about this. Myself, if I get stuck in a foreign country for some reason, I want the real deal. We take our passports with us. The real ones, that is.

Us too. Some ports require additional picture ID beyond your cruise card / sea pass. Your ship should alert you when the additional ID is required.

Us too. Some ports require additional picture ID beyond your cruise card / sea pass. Your ship should alert you when the additional ID is required.
In 16 cruises on 5 different lines the ship has always told us to have the sea pass and photo ID with us when going ashore.

That's about 50 ports. I can only remember 2 or 3 times that we had to show the ID, once being in Key West when we docked at the US Navy docks.

The others were in a couple of foreign ports where the local security (police or military) checked you before you went into the dock area.

You still need to have the ID with you. But, don't be surprised if you never are asked to show it.

Charlie

I would never be on foreign soil without my passport. I've heard a few horror stories, and I don't want to be added to that list.:rolleyes:

Should a problem arise, I don't think government officials would accept a copy of a passport - as copies can easily be altered. The real thing is with me at all times when out of the U.S.

I would never be on foreign soil without my passport. I've heard a few horror stories, and I don't want to be added to that list.:rolleyes:

Should a problem arise, I don't think government officials would accept a copy of a passport - as copies can easily be altered. The real thing is with me at all times when out of the U.S.

We also carry our passport in foreign countries.

The only use for any copy of the passport is to help expedite the processing of an emergency passport at the US Consulate after you have been left behind.

Rules for our personal plan:

1. Be back to the ship with time to spare.
  2. Carry the real passport in case of a problem with rule 1.

Charlie

I also bring along onshore a copy of the daily ship's newspaper. Inside the paper is the phone number and location of the cruise line on shore representative in case something goes wrong.
Also good advice. If you miss the ship, the local agency may help you with the problem.

Charlie

Archived