Kid Friendly Amsterdam hotel and Baltic port excursions

maggipie

I'm looking forward to our 15th anniversary Baltic cruise on the Century June 27, 2007; just started researching pre cruise hotels and things to do in port and have been a bit overwhelmed! (I appreciate all the posts by Ine!!)

We're bringing along our 7 year old daughter and 3 year old son, and am interested if anyone has any recommendations for any of the Amsterdam hotels (we'll be doing two pre cruise nights there), as well as things to see and do in port (Stockholm, Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Helsinki) with the kids. Our 7 year old went with us to the Mediterranean on the Constellation in 2003, and loved the Fun Factory so much she needed to be pried off the ship, and while that may be the case this time as well, it would be nice to be prepared to have them see some sights with us.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm looking forward to our 15th anniversary Baltic cruise on the Century June 27, 2007; just started researching pre cruise hotels and things to do in port and have been a bit overwhelmed! (I appreciate all the posts by Ine!!)

We're bringing along our 7 year old daughter and 3 year old son, and am interested if anyone has any recommendations for any of the Amsterdam hotels (we'll be doing two pre cruise nights there), as well as things to see and do in port (Stockholm, Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Helsinki) with the kids. Our 7 year old went with us to the Mediterranean on the Constellation in 2003, and loved the Fun Factory so much she needed to be pried off the ship, and while that may be the case this time as well, it would be nice to be prepared to have them see some sights with us.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

In general all hotels in Amsterdam are as kidfriendly/unfriendly as anywhere else. Your problem might be that not all hotelrooms are large enough for 2 adullts and 2 children.

However..something totally different might be to rent room(s) on a houseboat. Check for more details:

http://www.houseboathotel.nl/

Be sure to make a canalboatride in Amsterdam, visit Ann Frank house and maybe a visit to the Zoo Artis:http://www.artis.nl/international/index.html

Thank you, Ine, for the awesome links. What a great idea about the houseboat! As I was reading through previous posts, I often felt this site was lucky to have such a prolific and generous poster like you sharing all those Amsterdam secrets!

When in Stockholm, if the weather is nice, I would definitely recommend Skansen outdoor museum as a nice place to take the children. This is a park area where you can stroll around. In the area you will find several examples of old farm building that has been brought there from different parts of the country. Some of the buildings you can enter and sometimes you will be met by people dressed like the inhabitants would have been, who can tell you about life in the house. They do speak English. Between the buildings there are plots with farm animals and wild animals. There is also a town area with town houses, and you can enter them as well. For instance a glass works and a bakery (you can also by some of what they produce). There is also a special area called the children’s zoo where kids can get in direct contact with some animals.

When my children were small I often took them for a walk at Skansen and they used to love it, even if when they were really small they were more interested in the sparrows and squirrels that jumped around their feet than in the wolfs and lynxes which could be seen more at a distance. Since there is a huge amount of things to see here you will have to choose just a few things, not to tire the kids.

Here is a link to Skansen, so that you can read about all the things available there: http://www.skansen.se/pages/?ID=221

The Skansen museum is very close to the Vasa Museum, the sight most visitors to Stockholm want to see. You will probably want to go there too and a seven year old could most likely be interested if you don’t spend a very long time.

Here is the link to the Vasa museum: http://www.vasamuseet.se/Vasamuseet/Vasamuseet.aspx?path=%2fhome%2fvasamuseet%2fom&layout={C0D465E0-3110-436A-A0E4-EA5BB84475B8}}

Also close is a children’s museum, Junibacken. I have never been there myself; it didn’t exist when my kids were small. The museum is built around characters from Astrid Lindgren’s books (very well known Swedish writer). There are also characters from Tove Janson's (Finnish author, writes in Swedish) Moomin books. If you think you will visit this museum it may be a good idea to read something by these two authors before the cruise, I know there are English translations. It could give them a taste for the area before they come here.

And finally, here is Junibacken: http://www.junibacken.se/default.asp?id=1234

Thank you, north-bound, for your post. Pippi Longstocking was fairly popular when I was growing up, so maybe I would like to visit the Junibacken! The Skansen also sounds very interesting with its restored buildings and people in period costumes. I very much appreciate the links that you provided for your suggestions, and my kids thank you too!

• 3 weeks later...

A super kid friendly hotel is the Renaissance by Marriott near central station. We stayed with our son on the executive level which allowed free beverages (including alcohol) 24/7 along with a full breakfast and a huge afternoon feast. We saved a bundle on snacks and drinks alone. There were several children on this floor and my son quickly made several friends. Our ship sailed straight from Amsterdam and was only a hop away, we could see it out the lounge windows. Another nice feature is everyone spoke very good English and the best part was Central Station was only 2 blocks away. Red light district plus many other sites were easy walking distance and a good Concierge was always ready to point out where to go and great family friendly places to eat. We thoroughly enjoyed our week there.

Don't think that because it was the Marriott brand that you lose the Dutch flavor. Quite the opposite, it was very Dutch right down to the chocolate sprinkles on the toast!

I forgot to add, if you stay real near the canals, mosquitoes can be a problem. We found them quite pesty when we walked near them. They were almost non existent during the day, but come evening, they were thick. This was in early August. I think you can ask about them. When we did our Baltic cruise, one member on cruise critic mentioned this problem and we came straight out and asked the Renaissance if mosquitoes were a problem. They were honest saying that yes they can be however since they were a couple blocks away, they did not have the problem.

If one of the ports you visit is Oslo, a must is the sculpture garden. Our son was mesmerized. In Stockholm we took a tour bus right as we got off the ship and toured around on that and got off and on. We watched the changing of the guard at old town and then walked the area. Our son loved the street performers, entertainment concert in the park, the golden hand floating in the river and the museum with the ship that was recovered. I can't remember the name of that right at the moment.

Archived