Snorkeling Fears

skm

I'm afraid of being "sucked" out into the ocean when I snorkel by the waves, or not realizing I've gone too far out. I'm afraid of not touching the bottom and being unfamiliar with what is under there. And finally I'm afraid of not being able to hear what is going on around me because I'm either concentrating or the waves are splashing around. Besides this...I enjoy snorkeling. Any way to get over these fears? Thanks, SKM

I'm afraid of being "sucked" out into the ocean when I snorkel by the waves, or not realizing I've gone too far out. I'm afraid of not touching the bottom and being unfamiliar with what is under there. And finally I'm afraid of not being able to hear what is going on around me because I'm either concentrating or the waves are splashing around. Besides this...I enjoy snorkeling. Any way to get over these fears? Thanks, SKM

JUST RELAX!!! I tell a lot of students that. You want to slow that heartbeat down and just lay there. No need for heavy kicking with your fins. VERY SLOW AND RELAXED.

Other suggestions to help:

1. Take the PADI SkinDiver course. This will build confidence for Snorkeling.

2. Get a guide to go with you. This will give you a level of security and comfort.

3. Wear a wetsuit. This will help you relax and float. A thin 2mm will work.

4. Waves aren't that big of a deal. You go up and down with them and most of the time dont even notice it.

5. Know that most things in the water would rather avoid you than come in contact with you. Respect them and they will leave you alone.

6. Make sure you have snorkel gear that fits right. A good fitting mask goes a long way to keep water out. You may also consider buying a mask with a purge valve on it so you can blow any water out without having to lift your head from the water.

Hope these help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Where would you be snorkeling with waves? The most dangerous creature in the ocean are humans.

I've only gone out from shore and not from a boat. Since I can't seem to get past the point where I don't touch bottom, the waves knock me around. We went to Grand Cayman on a cruise this past Feb. and we tried snorkeling at Smiths Cove. I stood in about thigh deep water terrified of going further. Then here comes a tour bus of people unloading to admire the area. I'm so scared to go further out in the water (nor do I want to come out of the water in my swim suit in front of so many) that I just stood there and thought "if they want a great photo of this place, my big a-- is going to be in it and they can crop it out once they get home" So that was a huge disappointment. I've been to Elizabeth Harbour in Exuma, Bahamas and loved it because it was really calm water, but then again not much to see except alot of sea grass. :) SKM

my wife had the same troubles too deep, nervous aboout rip tides.....like oceandivercrris said, relax but if you dont take the course, go but a mask and snorkle and practice in the deep end of the local pool start in the shallows the move deeper no waves there no rip tides next thing you know your more relaxed and confident than ever.....also i have not seen a snorkle boat take skin divers/ snorklers to an area with currents.....find a friend who will go with you to the pool also......its good to have a buddy close by

• 1 month later...

I agree with the other posters - practice in a pool, preferably a heated, indoor pool so you don't shiver, which causes additional tension. Start in the shallow end, then gradually work your way up to the deep end. The more relaxed you are, the easier it is to float. The other thing to remember is that salt water adds to buoyancy. In fact, it's very difficult to not float in salt water (especially for women). Even my 3%-body-fat, skinny-as-a-rail husband floats in salt water.

The other suggestion I have is to try snorkeling from a boat, not from shore. Waves only happen close to shore, and the boats take you out well past that. You will be in the ocean, so it won't be like a swimming pool, but it won't be anything like the waves near the shore.

Good luck!

...but I can still snorkel. I can swim but I'm not a good swimmer and I do not like being in water over my head. The first time I tried to snorkel I practically passed out from hyperventilating. I just couldn't do it and I wanted to do it so bad! I decided to try one of those snorkel bibs which aren't the size of a full size vest but help you float....that did it! I have no problem snorkeling at all now! I still am not a fan of deep water but I can overcome it knowing that I can move any which way and still float! I love it and DH does too because he loves to snorkel and hated me not being able to experience the underwater life that he was enjoying so much. If I were you I'd give it a try.

If you aren't a good swimmer just wear a life jacket and go with a group. You can't really go under but with the clear caribbean water you can see just fine. The ones with the tour boats are generally pretty good - you can see plenty from the surface and you are far enough out where the water is nice and calm.

I was on a snorkle boat once where one lady used the life ring. She lay on her stomach on the ring and they let out the rope and she snorkled from there. Lot's of good advice - like the wetsuit idea for extra buoyancy.

Archived