Just Back from the Sea 7/17

livnletbuy

Had a great cruise! We were lucky to get an upgrade and really enjoyed the week!

Embarkation was a breeze, easy parking and a short Latitudes check in line.

(Much better than the Galveston drill on RCCL)

Our 8th floor room was a little larger than expected, and just a few steps from the pool deck, Big Apple and Boomer's Disco. No signs of significant wear and tear, maybe a little closed in feeling on some decks (after sailing the Rhapsody), but didn't take long to get used to it. All public areas are nice, even if a little dated, with the Stardust Lounge, Cabaret, and Seven Seas dining room being our favorites.

Food in both dining rooms was really a suprise. Much better than expected.

First time I've ever had tender lobster on ANY cruise. Great vegetables, sides and garnishes, and fair desserts. The servers were mostly from the Balkan States and Indonesia with a few West Indians. Service was promt and pleasant. Freestyle approach allowed us the choose choice window tables for two, on four of our nights. The Big Apple venue was not to our liking but many folks took all their lunches and dinners there or on the pool deck.

Ports:

Cozumel, fun but typical blazing hot shopping. Some did Chankanab, other Paradise Beach, and the booze cruises were full.

Roatan, our favorite by far! Did the Tabayana Beach Snorkel picnic. Had a blast. What a great place!

Belize, took off on our own to Caye Caulker. Quite an adventure but with the LONG water taxi and tender rides, not sure we'd do it again.

Cancun, hopped a cab to Cancun City Mercado 28, pretty good flea market, with a nice shopping area next door. Good for those who are tired of the typical Hotel Zone thing. Taxi, to Punta Sam for lunch at the Flamingo.

There are a wide variety of folks enjoying this very reasonable cruise value. For those who love the Celebrity or Holland America approach you probably wouldn't think this was too great. But, we heard very few complaints. Our only complaint was that were were back in Houston too soon!

Livnletbuy

Norwegian Sea '00, '04

Rhapsody '02

Southward '78, '80

We are going on the Sea 12/18 through 12/25. What were you upgraded from and to? We are hoping for one, but since it will be during the Christmas holidays I am not holding my breath.

How was the fitness facilities? They looked tiny in the 360 view on the NCL site, but that can be misleading.

Any certain servers we should ask for?

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

I see we are neighbors!

We waited till the last minute (about 30 days before sail date) and booked

a Biscayne deck (Deck 2) outside room with a "guarantee".(A special on NCL's website) When our docs arrived we were upgraded to the 8th floor. Our TA said that maybe our Latitudes membership made a difference but didn't know for sure how we moved up so much.

The fitness center is really compact but has quite a few machines and is actually pretty nice. The ladies and men's sauna and massage area's are adjacent. Jogging is on the Promenade (Deck 6) only. The Fitness Center is on 10 behind Coconut Willy's bar.

db

Had a great cruise! We were lucky to get an upgrade and really enjoyed the week!

Embarkation was a breeze, easy parking and a short Latitudes check in line.

(Much better than the Galveston drill on RCCL)

Our 8th floor room was a little larger than expected, and just a few steps from the pool deck, Big Apple and Boomer's Disco. No signs of significant wear and tear, maybe a little closed in feeling on some decks (after sailing the Rhapsody), but didn't take long to get used to it. All public areas are nice, even if a little dated, with the Stardust Lounge, Cabaret, and Seven Seas dining room being our favorites.

Food in both dining rooms was really a suprise. Much better than expected.

First time I've ever had tender lobster on ANY cruise. Great vegetables, sides and garnishes, and fair desserts. The servers were mostly from the Balkan States and Indonesia with a few West Indians. Service was promt and pleasant. Freestyle approach allowed us the choose choice window tables for two, on four of our nights. The Big Apple venue was not to our liking but many folks took all their lunches and dinners there or on the pool deck.

Ports:

Cozumel, fun but typical blazing hot shopping. Some did Chankanab, other Paradise Beach, and the booze cruises were full.

Roatan, our favorite by far! Did the Tabayana Beach Snorkel picnic. Had a blast. What a great place!

Belize, took off on our own to Caye Caulker. Quite an adventure but with the LONG water taxi and tender rides, not sure we'd do it again.

Cancun, hopped a cab to Cancun City Mercado 28, pretty good flea market, with a nice shopping area next door. Good for those who are tired of the typical Hotel Zone thing. Taxi, to Punta Sam for lunch at the Flamingo.

There are a wide variety of folks enjoying this very reasonable cruise value. For those who love the Celebrity or Holland America approach you probably wouldn't think this was too great. But, we heard very few complaints. Our only complaint was that were were back in Houston too soon!

Livnletbuy

Norwegian Sea '00, '04

Rhapsody '02

Southward '78, '80

Thanks for the short, but very informative review. A few questions: we are cruising with 2 others couples in November:did you book your excursions through NCL or privately? Did you give Le Bistro a try? WE sailed out of Houston many years ago when still living in the Dallas area. At that time embarkation was a nightmere, but most of the passengers were from the southwest and mid west: great group of travellers. How were the shows? Did you try to bring booze on board and did you get busted? Guess that's about all for now. NMNita

Nita,

We booked through a travel agent this time. Last time on the Sea we went directly through NCL.

Originally we planned to eat in LeBistro but were enjoying the dining room and decided to save the $30 for blackjack. We did eat there in '00 and really enjoyed it. Had a nice Caesar salad and the surf 'n turf. The steaks are quite a bit better in LeBistro, the ones in the dining rooms were tasty but a little tough.

We didn't buy any liquor, but they do check each bag when comming back from the ports.

We only went to one show, Greased Lightning and could only sit through two songs before we "abandoned ship". Never went back for the other shows, although we heard the comedian was really good. The other entertainment was the same as four years ago, '70's night, C&W night, etc. Same Cruise Director, Kevin, from Barbados. He's fun, but we'd seen it before.

db

livenletbuy, that is too funny! I didn't even notice you were from Nederland! My best friend lives there. I used to live in Port Arthur, and will begin my first year teaching at PNG Alternative Campus next month. Small world... :)

I think the Latitudes membership can't hurt. We got upgraded in May from a porthole to a penthouse suite for $500 total. We were thrilled, but it seemed almost too good to be true. We figure it will never happen again. Plus, we would give anything better than what we booked to my parents since it will be their very first cruise. We'd be happy as clams in an inside stateroom! :D

I am really looking forward to our cruise now. Everything I have heard lately has been really positive considering the glut of negative about the POA mess.

Natalie

Livnletbuy:

Do you remember how long the water taxi ride was to Caye Caulker and how much it cost? Also, what time did you catch the water taxi back to make it to the tender on time? We are planning on going to Caye Caulker and finding a snorkeling trip from there, then finding a beach to relax on.

Dan,

We took an open tender into Belize City after all the organized tours had sailed. The Norwegian rep at the dock asked us what we had planned and I said we were headed to the public water taxi dock to check out going to Caulker. He said that there was a snorkel trip forming with a guide named Marvin and that Marvin would probably take us to Caulker on his way to Shark Ray Alley. So..we met with Marvin and negociated a $25. per person round trip. He'd drop us off, and then, pick us up when his group stopped in Caulker for a late lunch on their way back from their snorkel. It took about 45 minutes to get to Caulker. We rented a golf cart at a stand next to the Rainbow restaurant and toured the island for about an hour. Not much to see here and a number of the restaurants were closed or in between breakfast and lunch schedules so we came back and ate on the water at the Rainbow. Had snapper and a couple of Belikins and just chilled on the deck for a couple of hours. Hindsight I guess we should have gone on to Shark Ray with the rest of the party since there's not much to the island and little in the way of beaches. Or maybe we should have gone on to San Pedro, we heard it was much better than Caulker but is a brutal 1 hr. each way from Belize City. If I were going to snorkel there I think I'd go to the main dock and arrange something, you'd save about $25.00 a person or so vs. the ship's rates. Note: Some of the tours go straight to and from the ship so you don't have to hassle with the long tender to Belize City.

db

db:

Thanks for the info! My wife doesn't snorkel so that is why we were thinking of just going to Caulker, she could hang at the beach while my son and I snorkeled. I guess I was thinking there was more to Caye Caulker. I had looked at San Pedro but it is a bit of a distance unless we go to the muni airport and fly over there. I may just consider booking a snorkel trip at the dock so she can go with us and hang out on the boat.

Livnletbuy,,,we loved the SEA so much in March 2004 that we are just about ready to book again for next March. Sounds like you were in about the same cabin location as ours,,,did you get a chance to check out the small deck behind Boomers? It was my favorite spot on the ship to "get away" from things!! ;)

Glad to hear she's still keeping folks happy,,,gonna miss her when she moves to the Far East next year. :(

If you want to snorkel in Belize try Coral Breeze. They have a great snorkel trip to that ends up in Cay Caulker. Your wife will have a fine time siting on the boat & you guys can snorkel. We would never go to Cay Caulker on our own as just a destination. There is very little to do there and no beach to speak of. Coral Breeze even delivered us back to our ship. No tenders back, we just walked back on the boat. It was a really great trip even if we didn't see even one shark at shark alley.

Archived