Foreign Currency Question - World Cruise

bobby1119

I am in the final phase of getting ready for the QE2 world cruise and still have some nagging questions about money matters.

Does anyone have experience regarding a strategy for cash/currency exachange matters? With so many different countries being visited, do you take travelers cheques to cash into local currency on board the ship? I understand the currency exchange machines on board have hefty fees? Are small amounts of cash in some of the major local currencies advisable? Is the ATM debit card the best solution? How is cash for extra tips handled? Even though gratuities are "included," I like to provide additional tips for extra special service, especially for the housekeeping staff and the dining room waiters.

When I travel to 1 or 2 countries, I generally get a small amount of cash in the local currency to get me started and then rely on ATMs throughout. That works well for a 2 week trip to a few countries. The implications of the world cruise are mind boggling.

Thank you all for any advice you can provide.

I am in the final phase of getting ready for the QE2 world cruise and still have some nagging questions about money matters.

Does anyone have experience regarding a strategy for cash/currency exachange matters? With so many different countries being visited, do you take travelers cheques to cash into local currency on board the ship? I understand the currency exchange machines on board have hefty fees? Are small amounts of cash in some of the major local currencies advisable? Is the ATM debit card the best solution?

Hi Bobby

I pop into different countries all the time and trust me, the last thing that you want is to get stuck with a bunch of money from the country that you just left. I never have trouble getting local money out of an ATM where ever I am in the world. I useually pull about $100 US in local to spend on the little things, coffee, snaks, or a soda, then rely on my credit card to take the brunt of my purchases. That will give you the best rate that you will find.

I never carry travellers cheques because I don't carry large amounts of cash out in public. Remember, you can secure your money in the room safe or large amounts in the Purses safe.

And don't forget, coins can not be exchanged.:mad: Nobody wants them. So get rid of them before you board the ship.

How is cash for extra tips handled? Even though gratuities are "included," I like to provide additional tips for extra special service, especially for the housekeeping staff and the dining room waiters.

We ran into the same delima on tipping last year on the QE 2. We ran into so many wonderful people that we wanted to tip, but at the end of the cruise we were running low on US cash. So I asked them, they didn't care what the currency was since they pop in and out of the countries all the time they just keep changing what the have for local. So I hit the local ATM and everyone was covered. But, this year I am going to try to bring a little extra for the crew.

When I travel to 1 or 2 countries, I generally get a small amount of cash in the local currency to get me started and then rely on ATMs throughout. That works well for a 2 week trip to a few countries.

Remember, you are only going to be in these countries for a day. Sometimes I never got any local, I just relied on my credit card.

The implications of the world cruise are mind boggling.

Tell me about it. We have 9 very large bags that my wife packed for us that have been sitting by the door for the last 3 weeks. We are so ready to head to London to begin our adventure.

Chart room by the Queen Mary Piano, 10pm first night out.:D

Yacht club, first day out.:)

How was your retirement party?

Bobby .... When you get back don't forget to post how you worked this out. We will face the same issue next year. We don't mind having some coins left ... Grandkids are always pleased to get foreign coins to add to their coin collection, but how much money should you change and is it easy to do?

Susan (Durango) :D

There is normally some way of donating coins to charity.

If nothing else is available, hand them to the last local you see!

Perhaps this is something for someone to check out at some stage. I'd like to think that Cunard could take any coinage and use it sensibly at some stage.....

Charitably - not for itself !

Hi Bobby

I pop into different countries all the time and trust me, the last thing that you want is to get stuck with a bunch of money from the country that you just left. I never have trouble getting local money out of an ATM where ever I am in the world. I useually pull about $100 US in local to spend on the little things, coffee, snaks, or a soda, then rely on my credit card to take the brunt of my purchases. That will give you the best rate that you will find.

I never carry travellers cheques because I don't carry large amounts of cash out in public. Remember, you can secure your money in the room safe or large amounts in the Purses safe.

And don't forget, coins can not be exchanged.:mad: Nobody wants them. So get rid of them before you board the ship.

We ran into the same delima on tipping last year on the QE 2. We ran into so many wonderful people that we wanted to tip, but at the end of the cruise we were running low on US cash. So I asked them, they didn't care what the currency was since they pop in and out of the countries all the time they just keep changing what the have for local. So I hit the local ATM and everyone was covered. But, this year I am going to try to bring a little extra for the crew.

Remember, you are only going to be in these countries for a day. Sometimes I never got any local, I just relied on my credit card.

Tell me about it. We have 9 very large bags that my wife packed for us that have been sitting by the door for the last 3 weeks. We are so ready to head to London to begin our adventure.

Chart room by the Queen Mary Piano, 10pm first night out.:D

Yacht club, first day out.:)

How was your retirement party?

Raphael,

Thanks for the very helpful advice on the money issue. I guess I owe you another round of drinks! :)

My retirement party continues... there have been 3 so far and another scheduled this week on my next to last day. I have been very moved by the tributes that have been paid to me over the last week. I am actually a bit sad that it is all coming to an end.

I have not started packing yet, but the contents of the luggage are all accounted for and ready to be packed. I plan to do that after New Year's day.

I wish you a happy holiday in England and a great crossing. I will look for you in the Chart Room on sailing night.

Bon Voyage!;)

My retirement party continues... there have been 3 so far and another scheduled this week on my next to last day. I have been very moved by the tributes that have been paid to me over the last week. I am actually a bit sad that it is all coming to an end.

Bobby

Don't be sad about it all ending, just look at it as the worlds greatest Bon Voyage party and it is being thrown in your honor.:D The hard part is firguring out what to do after you get back and try to come down to earth after a QE 2 World Cruise.

I have not started packing yet, but the contents of the luggage are all accounted for and ready to be packed. I plan to do that after New Year's day.

My wife finished packing weeks ago. Now she can't wait to unpack.;) We just got all of our docs. We are so ready to head to England. Sounds like we are going to miss a Southampton New Years Eve party. but we have our London adventure planned.

We will see you in the Chart room the first night out of New York. Enjoy your parties.:D

So happy that bobby1119 is having great retirement parties and that he is packed for the 2007 QE2 World Cruise beginning in January. He said he had all his packing accounted for -- I'll love to know, somehow, later, what in fact he has packed, precisely. I sail in January 2008 on the QE2 SAPOO for 90 days, for the first time, so I need assurance.

Glad to know durangoscots is still replying from Durango, Colorado. She and the other Susan are to be on the 2008 voyage, and we hope to encourage bobby1119 to at least be a part of some of that grand trip. I am delighted that the Weather Channel tells us on December 20 that Durango will have a wonderful, magnificent WHITE CHRISTMAS.

In regard to tipping, mentioned by bobby1119, I must say that I take Cunard at its word -- my tips for the full voyage are paid for COMPLETELY in advance in the sum that I am paying. I realize that those on "segments" are charged differently per diem.

Don.

In regard to tipping, mentioned by bobby1119, I must say that I take Cunard at its word -- my tips for the full voyage are paid for COMPLETELY in advance in the sum that I am paying.

Would that it were so easy!

It is the worst part of a cruise, knowing how much to tip. Especially to a non - American.

We don't tip anything like as much our side of the pond, and somehow cruising seems to take an American stand on this. Which confuses.

I wish Cunard would add a sensible amount, and then FORBID tipping.

Oh we are having a white Christmas all right. One thing I kept thinking yesterday as I shoveled my way out of the driveway is that next year I will not be here for the entire winter ... and that I am going to have to allow time to get to New York through possible winter weather. To keep this on topic, I will anxious to hear how Bobby manages the money question . There are a lot of different monies on that trip.

Susan (Durango)

Archived