Marigot-Baie Rouge-Philipsburg?

BTfan

Hi everyone.

This is what I'm thinking for my upcoming trip. I've been to SXM 3 times before, but never to Marigot and Baie Rouge. Head right to Marigot from the ship for a couple hours and catch the open air market (on a Wednesday), head to Baie Rouge for a bit, and then back to Philipsburg to finish up the day.

Is this a good plan? Any ideas on taxi fares between Baie Rouge and Marigot and Baie Rouge and Philipsburg? and if getting a taxi from Baie Rouge would be a problem?

We took a taxi from P-burg to Baie Rouge and then to Marigot in April. It is quite a long ride out to Baie Rouge and it took a long time to get a taxi when we wanted to leave. We had to stand out on the road and hope one would go by but very few did, and they usually already had passengers. We asked the driver who brought us to come back but he wouldn't promise to, said he would try...and he never showed up. No problem getting a taxi in Marigot to go back to P-burg. However, I was glad we did it - after many visits to Orient and Dawn, Baie Rouge was a very nice change - beautiful beach, a couple of bar/restaurants (where they prefer Euros to dollars by the way, although they'll take dollars). I'm sorry but I don't remember the cost of the taxis. I think it was rather expensive but we really wanted to go to Baie Rouge. Quite a few locals there and people who were obviously long-term renters, no other cruise people.

I wonder if you could tell me a bit more about Baie Rouge. Waves? Shade? Water? Solitude? We have always had good luck with return taxis but I guess it depends.... We are anchored at Marigot.

Orient didn't have a lot of appeal for us, loved Cupecoy, but wanting to have a different experience this year. thanks

Not much shade at Baie Rouge except for the umbrellas that you can rent (along with a lounger) from the 2 bar/restaurants. I doubt it ever gets very crowded there, and most of the people will be at the end where you go onto the beach, near the bars. I doubt there were 50 people there the day we went. It is a long beach however, and 95% was deserted except for the occasional person taking a stroll. The bottom is sand but drops off pretty quickly, and there were some fairly big waves breaking right on the beach; apparently this is quite common there. Because they wash up and back down into the deeper water, I would not consider this a good place for very young children to swim. We did fine however. Do a Google "images" search and you'll find some good pics of Baie Rouge.

Have fun!

Gene

Archived