Haleakala Crater at Sunrise

2Xayear

This trip is available through NCL and Shoretrips. Shoretrips is more money (slightly) and wondered if anyone had used them in the past. I suspect it will be a smaller group (van instead of bus perhaps) and is one hour longer. Any thoughts on this one? Is the tour itself worth doing?

Bob

This trip is available through NCL and Shoretrips. Shoretrips is more money (slightly) and wondered if anyone had used them in the past. I suspect it will be a smaller group (van instead of bus perhaps) and is one hour longer. Any thoughts on this one? Is the tour itself worth doing?

Bob

I won't comment on the various tours, someone else with experience should be able to help.

We've done the sunrise, and many posters here on CC have done it. Most people think that this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, breathtaking, awesome, etc, etc. There is some effort required, however, especially getting up early in the AM. When we have visitors to the island from the mainland, we often suggest they do this the first day, because they will be jet-lagged and getting up at 3-4 AM is not as big a deal. More effort needed on a cruise, since you are probably no longer jet-lagged. The drive up and down takes a few hours total, so the trip takes some time out of your shore time on Maui.

So, as you can see, yes, it is an unique experience, but there is a cost, not just money.

You should look back through the Hawaii boards on CC, because this subject has received a lot of discussion. I hope that other cruisers will jump in on this thread with their experiences and opinions.

Bob Swanson

bobnsandi, we will be on Pride of Hawaii the end of January and are considering a Haleakala sunrise tour. I have been reading that a sunset on the crater can be just as spectacular, less crowded and no where near as cold as the sunrise.

Do you have any experience or thoughts on the sunset as opposed to the sunrise?

Thanks

Don

bobnsandi, we will be on Pride of Hawaii the end of January and are considering a Haleakala sunrise tour. I have been reading that a sunset on the crater can be just as spectacular, less crowded and no where near as cold as the sunrise.

Do you have any experience or thoughts on the sunset as opposed to the sunrise?

Thanks

Don

Have not done it ourselves, but some folks rave about the experience. The

sunsets from anywhere Upcountry are pretty nice, though.

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/pics/kula_sunset02-lg.jpg

The sunsets from the west-facing beaches aren't bad, either

Some people head up to Haleakala for the sunset, followed by star-gazing. Also, going up to see the rise of the full moon is very popular. In either case, you are driving back down in the dark. Of course, you are driving up in the dark for a sunrise. It is cool after sunset and before sunrise, being at 10,000 feet altitude. The road is narrow and many hairpin turns. Do be careful.

Hope this helps.

Archived