cabin safe by code?

jspirit

On the Star they were digital codes, no need to swipe your card.

I saw many people wearing their cards on lanyards on our recent cruise. I did see lanyards for sale in the shop, not sure if there were freebies provided.

You don't have to re input a new code every time you open the safe. You can use the same code. To open the safe you enter the code. Then when you close the safe you can enter the same code. The code you entered will flash on the display screen for a few seconds. It's a good idea to watch for that just in case you accidentally entered a different code than you intended.

Lanyards are available for sale in the give shop and they will punch a hole in you card. I just bring one from home and have a hole punched in it at the pursers desk.

You don't have to re input a new code every time you open the safe. You can use the same code. To open the safe you enter the code. Then when you close the safe you can enter the same code. The code you entered will flash on the display screen for a few seconds. It's a good idea to watch for that just in case you accidentally entered a different code than you intended.

New safes on the Crown dont operate that way anymore. ;)

It's a 4-digit code that you decide on. You use your code when you close and lock the safe; re-enter your code to open it. A code is entered every time you close your safe. You can keep the same code or change it every time.

A suggestion is to bring ZipLoc bags and put your things in the bags before putting them into the safe. There is a lip and the safe itself is pretty dark so that it's easy to lose or forget something. We just lift out the bag when we want something, get what we want, and put the bag back. It helps keep things organized as well.

The most important thing to remember is when you get ready to disembark please leave the safe open. Do not close it. It says that on the instructions. We once embarked on a cruise and the safe was closed. had to call the maintenance dept to have them open it for us.

Marilyn

Basically you enter a new code every time you use the safe. They are a new brand, same size as the old ones but far more problems with dropping codes, using up batteries etc. The battery box is on the inside of the door so if you slam the door too hard the batteries will fall out. :eek:

When you open the door it is spring loaded and should pop open by itself but the spiring at the top of the door will come loose sometimes and you have to tap the front of the door several times to get it ajar.

On my first Crown cruise I had the safe girl come to the cabin a couple of times to open it for me as it lost the code.

Second cruise some of the bugs were worked out but now if it did not open with your 4 digit code they would tell you to only enter the first 3 digits of it, really wierd but it worked. :)

We were on the Crown 11/11 sailing. When you open the safe with your 4 digit code the safe will start beeping (every 30 seconds-I think) to remind you the safe is open. If you leave the safe open more than 3-4 minutes you will have to reset the code. We used the same code all week and reset when we left it open too long. We used ziploc bags & they worked great to keep everything together. My husband opened it once & the batteries fell out of the door. By the time we ready to leave the ship, there was a message on the screen that batteries needed to be replaced.

FYI -- You have to reinput a new code each time you open the safe.

You can buy lanyards at the gift shop and they will punch a hole in your cruise card as well. I didn't buy one, but I asked a lady who was wearing one where she got her card punched.

We use the same code the whole week, just enter it each time so you don't have to remember a new one - too much work on vacation!!!:D

Bring your favorite lanyard or buy a Princess one in the store, they will punch a hole or the pursurs desk will too.

Basically you enter a new code every time you use the safe. They are a new brand, same size as the old ones but far more problems with dropping codes, using up batteries etc. The battery box is on the inside of the door so if you slam the door too hard the batteries will fall out. :eek:

When you open the door it is spring loaded and should pop open by itself but the spiring at the top of the door will come loose sometimes and you have to tap the front of the door several times to get it ajar.

On my first Crown cruise I had the safe girl come to the cabin a couple of times to open it for me as it lost the code.

Second cruise some of the bugs were worked out but now if it did not open with your 4 digit code they would tell you to only enter the first 3 digits of it, really wierd but it worked. :)

Wow. A new code every time? I have enough trouble remembering one for the entire cruise. I hope the other ships don't go to this new system.

Wow. A new code every time? I have enough trouble remembering one for the entire cruise. I hope the other ships don't go to this new system.

I should rephrase that you have to reenter your code each time and on these new types there is more of a chance for an error. Mostly because of how touchy these doors are when shut hard. They tend to reset the safe when they are slammed or shut hard. :)

I saw many people wearing their cards on lanyards on our recent cruise. I did see lanyards for sale in the shop, not sure if there were freebies provided.

Interestingly.......I notice most of the people wearing cruise cards on lanyards are wearing blue cards. Once in a while I may see a gold card. Cannot ever remember seeing a silver or black card on a lanyard.

Wonder what that says. :confused: :confused:

Interestingly.......I notice most of the people wearing cruise cards on lanyards are wearing blue cards. Once in a while I may see a gold card. Cannot ever remember seeing a silver or black card on a lanyard.

Wonder what that says. :confused: :confused:

They never leave their cabins ?????

Our safe on Crown operated exactly like every other safe I've used on a Princess ship. I had heard about problems with the safes and was expecting it to be temperamental, but we didn't have any problems.

I wear my card in a Witz case on a lanyard all the time, but it's turned backwards so during those rare times I actually leave my cabin, nobody gets to see the color. ;)

Archived