Family day in Cozumel

Mel

My two daughters and their families and I will be in Cozumel just after Christmas for a day and would just like to go to a beach for the morning and hang out for a couple of hours (there will be 2,4,15 and 17 year olds with us for a total of 8 or perhaps 10). We probably won't be eating or drinking much (if anything!) since it is morning and wondered where would be the best place to go and how to get there. From what I have read, it seems like everywhere expects you to buy food and drink so you can use their beach area. Are there any public beaches that are nice? I guess asking for somewhere where they don't hassle you is asking too much? Any suggestions?

Well......you probably are not getting answers since there is most likely NO place like this there <grin>

$10 each is not that much....and tho Paradise Beach would NOT appeal to me since I am not looking for a kid place, it might be fine for you

Maybe you can order food for the kids and "share" it so each person comes out to $10...

other than that?? I live in Florida..and you are NOT gonna get beach chairs free anywhere, here we can tote our own and drive to beach...bring a cooler, but usually end up spending $$, parking, buying some food or whatever

I don't think you are gonna get a totally free day for 10 (!!) people...not to mention that any group of 8 or 10 has an impact on a place (that is why many restaurants put an automatic tip on parties of 8 or more)

Technically all the beaches there in Mexico are public...BUT>> are you all going to sit on your towels from the ship?? Remember too that you can not take off food or drink in other countries....you could get fined by Mexico for that

and chances are you are gonna be hassled on any real public beach strip, lots of vendors...the kids are going to want stuff to drink probably

From what I read on these boards and doing searches Costa Maya might be a better "cheap" port...you can sit around on really free chairs at the pier and by the pool there...however the drinks/food seem to be more pricey there at the pier. You can also go to the fishing village and get chairs/table/loungers for just "buy a little food" (which is what many SAID over and over and over about Cozumel...however, all that has gotten is a new more stringent policy apparently).....

sooo....JMO in Cozumel bite the bullet and go $10 each at Paradise Beach...OR maybe check out Mr Sanchos....either way you probably need to spend something

The national park costs $16 to get in....Playa Mia costs $12 just to get in...so really buying a little food is not bad. Of course, you could sit on your cruiseship towel on some stretch of beach, but losing a towel costs $22 *ouch LOL

(just watch... LOL there will be a few people who will jump up and point out I have not been there yet, tho how that precludes being able to read or think I don't know, since many who HAVE been there give misleading info )

(just watch... LOL there will be a few people who will jump up and point out I have not been there yet, tho how that precludes being able to read or think I don't know, since many who HAVE been there give misleading info )

Nah, lol you gave a pretty good view of what is available, other than sitting on a towel you are correct there is not a true free beach. Mr Sanchos says it is free to enter, as does paradise beach, however as we all know most places would like you to purchase something.

Mel, Bring a few extra towels for the beach, just ask cabin attendant. Grab a taxi at the pier and have them drop you off at the entrance to one of the beaches and walk through the facilities and go down the beach a few hundred feet away from their service area. Plop yourself down and enjoy the beach.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches

Thanks, everyone. I just love deserted beaches that you can walk on for miles - sit on a towel and enjoy the sun and the view. Having said that, probably our 2,4, 15 and 17 year old grandchildren would not have the same ideas of a perfect morning, and these deserted beaches are probably few and far between in the Caribbean anyway!! So, we'll probably go with the flow, take a cab to somewhere like Paradise Beach, perhaps sit just a little bit away from the hustle and bustle, buy a couple of drinks (perhaps after being on a cruise for three days I'll be into drinking alcohol before noon - Ha Ha!) and some nachos and just enjoy being together.

Mel, you could always just buy some water. If it is hot, you will probably want that anyway. I don't really think the beaches care WHAT you order as long as they end up with money in their pockets at the end of the day. As wonderful as margaritas and pina coladas are, I agree I would not be terribly interested in either one before noon ;-)

Archived