Back From Costa Maya with a Full Days Review!!!

cruisin_cutie

I was on the 12/3/06 sailing of the NCL sun with my DH jake, and 5 other friends (nate, josh, derek, natasha, and ambre) Our first stop was to Costa Maya. I went there 2 years ago and really liked it so i was looking forward to seeing what had changed. The answer? a lot and also not a lot! More developed, more little shops and kiosks, and more bars but it was generally the same place, i still love it!:)

We got off the boat between 10 and 11 am. We walked down the long pier and into the cruise tourist area. The guys spotted the swim up bar and wanted to stay there, but i convinced them to see the real town, majahual. After much deliberation we got a taxi and went to town. This was only after some tour opperator tried to get us to buy this 'deal' at his hotel. we said we wanted to drink, swim, maybe snorkel and just kinda hang out. he then told us that we basically wouldnt be able to do any of that on our own so we should book his package deal. i knew this was a load of crap cuz ive done it all before!! So, i got everyone to go in a taxi to town. We got there and decided to just walk up the street and see what we could see. Lots of vendors, including the "mexican wol-mart" (im starting to think he spelled it that way on purpose to be cute and get ppl to come in:rolleyes: !) Lots of bars, and ppl doing massages on the beach. The guys wanted to hang out at a bar that had swings instead of stools and chill on the beach. Us girls wanted to shop and get a massage, so off we went on our own! We each got half hour massages for only 15.00 each! first it was 20.00 but since the 3 of us wanted one i asked for a discount and got one! gotta ask!!!

After that we did some shopping. I LOVE shopping here!! There is so much fun stuff and its really cheap and bartering is a blast too. I bought a little mini guitar for my 18 month old nephew (he loves it!:p ) a beautiful hand painted tile for my mom, a fish shaped painted dish for me, and a great statue of a man and woman for my mantel. Cheap Cheap Cheap!!

The sun came out a little (did i mention it was a cloudy day? still warm though) and we decided to look for the guys. they were in the same spot at that bar on the beach. We hung out a bit and went in the ocean. Then, we decided to go back to the touristy terminal area.

The girls and I were hungry and the guys ate at the bar already, so the 3 of us went to a restaurant there. I cant remember what it was called, maybe something about a bandito? No, maybe not. That was the name of the dish we each got, the "taquito bandito" yummy:) !! a good choice! We all got this drink there, called Pai Ai:D , soooooo GGGOOOOOODDDDD!!! I had three of them, and I am a light weight!! We then hung out at the swim up bar for a while. The water looked clear and clean, but after we got out, jakes swim shorts and 'mandals' stunk so bad from the water! That was the only bad thing that day. We met a couple on a RCCL boat who were super nice and fun. Wish i got their address! After this, we decided to head back to the ship.

I really love costa maya, its fun, relaxing, and really enjoyable, i reccommend it to anyone! I hope to go back for a third time. Any questions id be happy to answer!

• 2 weeks later...
Could you please give a few more details about the message on beach? How much or did you undress, is this semi private or like on the chair in the mall? Thanks.

I was in my swimsuit (2 piece) and layed on my stomach on a table. the masseuse undid the straps, but im sure if i said no it wouldnt be a big deal. My friend ambre had on shorts, and a one piece, and that was fine too. Do what ever makes you comfortable! Its not really private at all, as we were under a tent on the beach, which is next to the road. Its not awkward tho, since everybody is there to relax and there are lots of massage table areas along the beach.

Archived