CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Hey Dyan and Nancy,

Good to see you here! Yes, just keep your eyes posted. I learned of the great deal on the Norwegian Gem in December, 2007, right here on this thread. :)

Jack

Hi, Jack and Nancy! Hope you are both doing well. Good to "see" you both here.

Dyan

Lois,

In answer to the question/comment you posed, yes, I sail HAL on a regular basis, and the single supplement on an inside or outside cabin is in the 140-150% range. That's assuming you're sailing during a non-peak time. I've priced cabins for holiday cruises, and HAL is up there with everyone else charging 200% (just because they can :D ).

You're right about the luxury lines charging 110-125% for a solo, but like you pointed out, the base fare is so expensive to start with, it's hardly a bargain for us hardworking single gals. ;)

Roz

I agree, the single rate is very low, but the pricing for the cabins are so high!!

I mainly stick to HAL ,but want to try RCCL for the right cruise and price!!

Happy sailing!!

Looking for cheap 5-night cruise to anywhere before 5/11. I like sea days.

I'm going solo to the Mexican Rivera on 5/11 for 7 nights. I got an inside room for $879.00 with tax, insurance and other fees the total came to $1017.94.

It's on Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas.

I got an email from a TA today, but I'm guessing the offers are from the cruise line (at least worth checking if interested:D )

"Voyages of Discovery

Choose from a selection of Voyages of Discovery's award-winning cruises taking you to colourful South America and through the Caribbean, before sailing almost a thousand miles along the Amazon River . Discovery returns to Harwich in the summer for a series of cruises to the majestic Norwegian Fjords, St. Petersburg and the Baltic."

NO SINGLE SUPP ON I & G CABINS:D

Ecuador, Panama Canal & Cuba ~ From £2995pp

14 Mar 08 ~ 18 nights fly-cruise

Amazon Adventure ~ From £1995pp

30 Mar 08 ~ 17 nights fly-cruise

The Norwegian Fjords ~ From £782pp

24 May ~ 8 nights Ex-UK cruise

Fjords, Faroes, Fire & Ice ~ From £1232pp

31 May ~ 12 nights Ex-UK cruise

No good to me - I'm fully booked this year:D

Karen

Thanks Karen. Nothing there for me either.

I Thought I found a good TA: NCL Jewel -15-nt sailing from Miami to Ponta Delgada, Lisbon, Vigo, La Coruna, Waterford, Guernsey & Dover (ends).

4/20 -$599 best avail in; $699 best avail ocvw; $849 best avail Balcony; $1299 Mini-Suite.

Found a (solo) OV for $1398, + $65.83 (tax) + $210 FUEL SURCHARGE ?!?? = $1,673.83. Balcony was about $300 more, but the fuel charge is insane! Another way the solos get double-charged. :mad:

I know the other lines charge $5/day (RCL = maximum $70). Does anyone know if they double the charge for solo cruisers as well?

Nancy

I think this is a pretty good deal...Serenade of the Seas 11-8-08 doing the southern route out of San Juan. The rate is $1121 and that includes all taxes, port charges and the new fuel surcharge. In addition you get $100 OBC.

This is a C&A cruise, which is really nice. You get a gift almost every night in your cabin.

I was able to get my air out of Chicago on AA non stop r/t for $238. Which I think is a great deal.

This is also a CC Group cruise. If interested just click on the link below or email me.

YIKES:eek: Just booked 11-nt on Celebrity. Fuel charge $5 per ROOM per nite, for total of $55. I hate that Celebrity's single supplement is so high, but after seeing your post, I feel much better about it.

I'm going on a 14 day cruise in October and HAL fuel supplement is only $70 per person.

I complain about spending almost $3 a gallon for gas, but I wonder how much fuel cost per gallon for a ship?????

If you can travel last minute from San Diego, the Feb 4th 4-day Elation has a 1A guarantee for $298.50. Additional taxes/fees/fuel surcharge brings the total to $364.40.

I'm hoping to take a cruise in mid-Feb (I've been watching the Feb 19th & 24th prices) but I don't think my supervisor is going to let me leave this soon since the two new employees I've been training aren't quite ready to solo.

Good luck to someone!

...want to try RCCL for the right cruise and price!!

I have been watching RCI VoyagerOTS, 7 day sailings (Galveston--Cozumel--Roatan--Progreso--Galveston), and the sailings within a month or so are getting good rates ... you gotta keep watching.

I got a good senior rate today on Voyager, Feb. 24, Promenade cabin, solo, for $899 ($1050ish with fees/taxes).

Recently they had good solo rates for anyone for balcony cabins.

I have been watching RCI VoyagerOTS, 7 day sailings (Galveston--Cozumel--Roatan--Progreso--Galveston), and the sailings within a month or so are getting good rates ... you gotta keep watching.

I got a good senior rate today on Voyager, Feb. 24, Promenade cabin, solo, for $899 ($1050ish with fees/taxes).

Recently they had good solo rates for anyone for balcony cabins.

Is that a 4 nighter for $1,000?

Yes I am on the QM2 at the end of February and I received an invoice from Cunard and a letter from my TA to say I have been upgraded!

Of course I paid the dreaded single supplement in the first place but this starts to soften the blow.

Yes I am on the QM2 at the end of February and I received an invoice from Cunard and a letter from my TA to say I have been upgraded!

Of course I paid the dreaded single supplement in the first place but this starts to soften the blow.

It's always nice to get upgraded? Can I ask what type of upgrade you got?

I recently found a solo dilemma: a 200%+ supplement!! Here's an example (on ********, but I'm sure they're all the same):

RCCL: Sat, Apr 12 14-Night Transatlantic Cruise: Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona

(cheapest inside - cabin Q)

Dbl Per Person Stateroom Price* Standard Rate - $449(pp) = $898

BUT, for a solo cruiser, cabin Q is no longer available.

Cheapest for a solo cruiser is an "N":

Single* Standard Rate

$1,789

:( :rolleyes: :eek: *****!!!????

so.... I think I'll bring my invisible friend :confused:

EDIT: Same search on RCCL's site gives exactly the same results????????????

From my experience of anything I've priced with Roayl Caribbean or Celebrity it's always the same. Guarantee cabins are not available for sole occupancy, which is rediculous and extremely unfair. They've lost some of my business as a result. If the second lot of taxes and fees were reclaimable for the no-show of your invisible friend it wouldn't be quite so bad, although it still feels like a kick in the teeth for the solo traveller.

I recently found a solo dilemma: a 200%+ supplement!! Here's an example (on ********, but I'm sure they're all the same):

RCCL: Sat, Apr 12 14-Night Transatlantic Cruise: Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona

(cheapest inside - cabin Q)

Dbl Per Person Stateroom Price* Standard Rate - $449(pp) = $898

BUT, for a solo cruiser, cabin Q is no longer available.

Cheapest for a solo cruiser is an "N":

Single* Standard Rate

$1,789

:( :rolleyes: :eek: *****!!!????

so.... I think I'll bring my invisible friend :confused:

EDIT: Same search on RCCL's site gives exactly the same results????????????

From what I see, the price advertised is not available even for double occupancy, their least expensive cabin is about 1000$pp.

We're fine with you folks using this thread to share info you may find on solo cruising bargains -- as long as those bargains are offered by the CRUISE LINES and not by a travel agency or GROUP CRUISE.

Thanks,

Laura

Everyone,

Let's not forget the title of this thread and the post on the first page from Community Manager LauraS.

Kat110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow with our free membership to Cruise Critic:

Cruise Critic has strict guidelines prohibiting blatant advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on all of our message boards.

Our Cruise Boards are meant to be a cruiser's exchange of advice and tips where cruisers can talk about their travels -- not a marketplace for advertising and selling services. There are thousands of cruise professionals online and if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy the cruise boards would be very quickly overrun with nothing but ads.

Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board. Solicitation includes, but is not limited to, requests to be E-mailed, the posting of phone numbers for your business, and the referring to or posting of one's own Web site address.

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Basically, the names, web sites, etc. of travel agents/agencies or other cruise-related sites or message boards --- even if "masked" --- are not allowed in Cruise Critic message board posts. Posts asking for the name, site or further information via e-mail, or posts offering same, will be removed as well as any replies to the deleted posts. The same applies to posts promoting non-Cruise Critic group cruise sites.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived